Center Stand vs Pitbull Stand

Reynolds

• Member Contributer

Only advantage I can think of for the OEM centre stand is it goes where the bike goes. If your on a trip and need it, it’s there with you. I honestly don’t even notice mine is there. I am sure the pit bull stand would be cheaper and have no installation costs but personally I would still go with the OEM. Phil.

I have a Motech center stand that is difficult to use, however others mention that the higher lift enables tire removal when the road surface is uneven. Had I known this I would have opted the OEM center stand.

• Member Contributer

Have the Pit Bull.  I never had a bike with a center stand so why start now.  To me it's like adding a boat anchor on the bike.

• Member Contributer

Don't forget that boat anchors have their place. On a bike as porky as the VFR, a few pounds of

centerstand, especially as low as they are, don't make that much difference.

Going racing? Don't mess with the centerstand. Going riding? They can come in very handy.

Just like SlickWeevil posted.

• Member Contributer

I'm a fan of the ABBA centre stands, myself. I bought one when I had my NC30 back in the UK, and then simply purchased an adapter kit when I acquired the RC46 in the states. It'll also mount to the rearset threads to facilitate swingarm removal and, with the use of another kit, allow you to remove the forks. 

https://abbastandsusa.com

I removed the centre stand from my bike, along with the PAIR system and stock exhaust, within a month of owning my VFR and have never looked back.

• Member Contributer

I agree with SlickWeevil, I have the OEM center stand on my 6 Gen (Commuter/Tourer) and took off most of the "heavy" bits on my 5 Gen, including the center stand. I use the 5 Gen as my "fun" bike, as well as track day weapon. When in the garage, I have several stands I can use, from Pit Bull (SSSA Rear stand and Headlift/Fork stand) to an ABBA Skylift. The latter is basically for when I need to do long term task, the former for things like tire changes or typical maintenance.

I have a centerstand but find that I only use it for washing the bike and doing chain maintenance.  Rarely ever use it when I'm out someplace.  If I had a separate stand in the shop I could see removing the centerstand without issue.

Thanks for all of the reply's.  I went the center stand route.  I'm not concerned with the added weight.  The bike is a big porker anyway and I'm looking to shed tenth of a second heading to work. As a few have said, it's now always with me.  I bought an Upstands brand from Germany.  It took about 2 minutes to install and fits like a champ. 

Archived