if you went from a owning a 6th Gen to an 8th gen which do you prefer?

VFR80025th

• Member Contributer
On 2/14/2019 at 5:38 PM, BuzznerSuntrusts said:

Odd since they called all 5th and 6th gens RC46 and there were some significant differences between them! Plus both gens had updated models within each model type. 

The "Gen" thing is, as far as I understand it, a US/VFRD naming convention and certainly not an official Honda one. I've never heard it over here except in relation to VFRD posts.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Shinigami said:

And it also comes like this, in Japan.

C1D18591-C620-408B-8CF2-0999A84FF753.jpeg

I have to say Honda worldwide is nuts. Why have a bike like that & NOT sell it world wide, that looks great. Now back to the UK/EU options of single solid boring colour choices 😞

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Shinigami said:

And it also comes like this, in Japan.

C1D18591-C620-408B-8CF2-0999A84FF753.jpeg

I would definitely be a sucker for that one! :fing02:

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Skids said:

The "Gen" thing is, as far as I understand it, a US/VFRD naming convention and certainly not an official Honda one. I've never heard it over here except in relation to VFRD posts.

I’m not even really talking about the “Gens” but how dissimilar the bikes are from ‘98 to ‘02. To my mind, they are closer from ‘02 to ‘14. Of course all share the same engine cases, so why differentiate?

• Member Contributer

I've had a 5th gen., 6th gen., and now an 8th gen standard.  The 8th gen., by far has the best low and mid-range torque provided you put a slip on on it.  Better low end torque and weight is what I wanted from it and it worked.  It has been problem free including no electrical problems.  I have no idea what top speed is because there's nothing to do going that fast on a VFR.  For me, the 5th and 6th gens. handled better.  I can't feel the reduction in weight at all.  I need to adjust the front suspension on the 8th gen.  The Deluxe has a pitiful turn signal cancel, and dubious traction control.  Only reason to get it is if you like ABS.  I don't.  The front can be changed on the standard in spite of wrong opinion.  That sums it up.  I run the shit out of mine in nothing but twisties so that's all it sees and it does well.  My engine ought to be work out but never hear of that in a VFR.  FWIW.    

• Member Contributer

I own an 07 RWB Interceptor just like the OP and I just came back from a trip to AZ where I rode my buddies gen 8 DLX for about 600 miles.  His is mostly stock with a Corbin seat, mine is mostly stock with bar risers.  I didn't notice a great deal difference in overall weight when moving the bike around the garage.  What I did notice is how much slimmer the gen 8 is.  I like the updated instrumentation and rider aids on the gen 8.  The biggest difference I noticed between the bikes was the VTEC engagement.  With my gen 6 the bike has a definite pop, stretch your arms kinda feel, the gen 8's was more muted/even and frankly I found it had less character though it was probably better/safer than mine.  What I mean by that is the transition to VTEC doesn't surprise you.  I also found my stock exhaust has more of a growl (admittedly not much of one) and the gen 8's seems more sedate.

On a side note, my helmet with a PackTalk Slim comm did fit in the side case, barely.  I have an HJC RPHA 11 helmet size small.  Also, the luggage on the gen 8 is really nice, I'm not a fan of topcases on sport bikes but the VFR OEM case does it really well.  It's not ginormous but extremely functional and pretty good looking.  I don't have luggage on mine so I can't compare.

I think the biggest motivation to get the newer model for me would be the sorted electrical systems.  But comparing the two, the gen 6 is a bit more charming to me, the undertail exhaust alone is just a big win from an aesthetic standpoint, especially on a bike with a single-sided swingarm.  If I could only own one bike between the two I think I would take the gen 8 just for the modern rider aids and better instrumentation and electrical reliability but as my Interceptor is my secondary bike I am happier with the gen 6 as I find it's quirks appealing.

And I would get bar risers for the gen 8 first thing followed shortly afterwards with a less intrusive muffler.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Calculon said:

I own an 07 RWB Interceptor just like the OP and I just came back from a trip to AZ where I rode my buddies gen 8 DLX for about 600 miles.  His is mostly stock with a Corbin seat, mine is mostly stock with bar risers.  I didn't notice a great deal difference in overall weight when moving the bike around the garage.  What I did notice is how much slimmer the gen 8 is.  I like the updated instrumentation and rider aids on the gen 8.  The biggest difference I noticed between the bikes was the VTEC engagement.  With my gen 6 the bike has a definite pop, stretch your arms kinda feel, the gen 8's was more muted/even and frankly I found it had less character though it was probably better/safer than mine.  What I mean by that is the transition to VTEC doesn't surprise you.  I also found my stock exhaust has more of a growl (admittedly not much of one) and the gen 8's seems more sedate.

On a side note, my helmet with a PackTalk Slim comm did fit in the side case, barely.  I have an HJC RPHA 11 helmet size small.  Also, the luggage on the gen 8 is really nice, I'm not a fan of topcases on sport bikes but the VFR OEM case does it really well.  It's not ginormous but extremely functional and pretty good looking.  I don't have luggage on mine so I can't compare.

I think the biggest motivation to get the newer model for me would be the sorted electrical systems.  But comparing the two, the gen 6 is a bit more charming to me, the undertail exhaust alone is just a big win from an aesthetic standpoint, especially on a bike with a single-sided swingarm.  If I could only own one bike between the two I think I would take the gen 8 just for the modern rider aids and better instrumentation and electrical reliability but as my Interceptor is my secondary bike I am happier with the gen 6 as I find it's quirks appealing.

And I would get bar risers for the gen 8 first thing followed shortly afterwards with a less intrusive muffler.

What you feel in your 6th gen is a LOSS of power before VTEC engagement, not VTEC bringing a boost of power.

The 8th doesn't loose power before VTEC engagement like the 6ths did, so no "dip"

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, thtanner said:

What you feel in your 6th gen is a LOSS of power before VTEC engagement, not VTEC bringing a boost of power.

The 8th doesn't loose power before VTEC engagement like the 6ths did, so no "dip"

Have to agree...the torque curve feels much sweeter on the 8th/X engine, hence the seeming lack of punch at the Vtec. Far more torque in the useable range. From 75mph it pulls so much better than either my 5th or 6th did, even in 6th gear!

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, thtanner said:

I don't doubt that you are correct, it's just how it feels.

• Member Contributer

The 6th gen. VTEC engagement is an issue only if the rider makes it one.  Ride one enough in the twisties and VTEC engagement in the middle of a curve can easily be dealt with, with a smooth and skilled throttle hand.  It never bothered me but it does take some repetition and acceptance that with enough riding it's not an issue.  That's my experience with a lot of miles on 5th, 6th, and 8th gen. ownership.   

Not quite, it’s got smaller side cases that can hardly fit one small helmet, rear swing arm covered by an ugly exhaust and a whopping 2-3 hp less than 6th gen:)

Now, everything else is better on 8th gen.

I wonder which rider can feel a difference of a couple of hp's. If the conviction "that you can certainly feel it" is not already present between both ears, I guess that no-one would ever feel it, not even the brightest rider...

• Member Contributer

The biggest thing that really holds me back from upgrading (118,000k+ on my '04) is that side pipe hiding the SSSA.

8 hours ago, Tiutis said:

Not quite, it’s got smaller side cases that can hardly fit one small helmet, rear swing arm covered by an ugly exhaust and a whopping 2-3 hp less than 6th gen:)

Now, everything else is better on 8th gen.

I'll give you the ugly pipe, but otherwise I'm sticking with what I said. 🙂 

Bags aren't part of the bike, so they don't count. 🙂

I'll trade a couple of hp for better torque curve everyday of the year.

besides fix the ugly pipe and get the hp back and if you really want hp get on the S1000R 🙂

13 hours ago, thepretender said:

I'll give you the ugly pipe, but otherwise I'm sticking with what I said. 🙂 

Bags aren't part of the bike, so they don't count. 🙂

I'll trade a couple of hp for better torque curve everyday of the year.

besides fix the ugly pipe and get the hp back and if you really want hp get on the S1000R 🙂

The torque of 8th is overstated. Just like the hp prowess of the 6th gen so is the torque of the 8th gen. The main benefit of the new bike is the tourque dip. Otherwise, it’s not making any more torque than the 6th gen. I think the new bike is geared a little lower so that’s why it may feel like that. All of which can be addressed on the 6th gen with power commander and a good dyno tune and new set of sprockets. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Tiutis said:

The torque of 8th is overstated. Just like the hp prowess of the 6th gen so is the torque of the 8th gen. The main benefit of the new bike is the tourque dip. Otherwise, it’s not making any more torque than the 6th gen. I think the new bike is geared a little lower so that’s why it may feel like that. All of which can be addressed on the 6th gen with power commander and a good dyno tune and new set of sprockets. 

Nope, both bikes have the same gearing ratios throughout the box.  

2014 bike has a higher compression ratio, timing on inlet is slightly different 15 and 30 compared to 12 and 33

Don't forget the less weight on the 8gen.

Almost 10kg, I felt the diference cuming from a 6th gen.. the new viffer feels faster and the test I made from 0-200km/h tells the me the same.

Other thing its the speed on the 6gen less acurate!

• Member Contributer

Stock is thinning out.

$5000-7000 for a brand new motorbike of impeccable quality is an insane deal. Worth jumping on them now while you can.. in 2 years going to have lots of people with 6th gens getting tired and the owners wishing they had grabbed an 8th.

Oh if the lack of an undertail exhaust is holding you back, you should re-evaluate your requirement. Undertail exhaust puts weight up too high. The side can offsets the SSSA weight making the 8th as balanced as the 5th gen was. 🙂

Stock bags too small? Only like 1% of 6th gen owners have OEM bags. The same aftermarket options are still there for 8th.

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2019 at 4:41 PM, thtanner said:

Stock is thinning out.

$5000-7000 for a brand new motorbike of impeccable quality is an insane deal. Worth jumping on them now while you can.. in 2 years going to have lots of people with 6th gens getting tired and the owners wishing they had grabbed an 8th.

Oh if the lack of an undertail exhaust is holding you back, you should re-evaluate your requirement. Undertail exhaust puts weight up too high. The side can offsets the SSSA weight making the 8th as balanced as the 5th gen was. 🙂

Stock bags too small? Only like 1% of 6th gen owners have OEM bags. The same aftermarket options are still there for 8th.

I agree, recently been thinking about another VFR, I have had two 800 VTEC and two 1200F. The more I look at pictures of the new bike the more I like it. I saw a red one outside a BMW dealership- beautiful, the rider was probably asked to move on as it would be distracting potential punters from their Teutonic offerings.

i think Euro 5 regs and low volumes mean its uneconomic for Honda to continue with the v4 engine (for now, if ever) so they are winding down production- we aren’t getting the same stunning deals that you in the USA are but list is 10% lower. I don’t think there are many new ones on UK dealership floors.

Too many people buy things on the basis of the spec sheet, then have performance reined in by electronic nannies. How many actually ride with them turned off to feel the full effect of 200bhp? 

Makes no sense, I find it funny that Honda added a button for traction control that appears to be an afterthought, it tells me TC isn’t  necessary but their engineers were told to add it by the marketing people.

I think I will have an aftermarket exhaust but don’t want to screw the performance up for the sake of extra noise so will probably go the official Akrapovic route. The only thing holding me back is negative equity on my Africa Twin which won’t disappear till next Spring. It’s going to be a long year waiting and watching whilst the last generation of VFRs disappear. Selfishly I hope that the low level exhaust and slight loss of BHP means there is one last red one leftover for me!

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, bob38 said:

I agree, recently been thinking about another VFR, I have had two 800 VTEC and two 1200F. The more I look at pictures of the new bike the more I like it. I saw a red one outside a BMW dealership- beautiful, the rider was probably asked to move on as it would be distracting potential punters from their Teutonic offerings.

i think Euro 5 regs and low volumes mean its uneconomic for Honda to continue with the v4 engine (for now, if ever) so they are winding down production- we aren’t getting the same stunning deals that you in the USA are but list is 10% lower. I don’t think there are many new ones on UK dealership floors.

Too many people buy things on the basis of the spec sheet, then have performance reined in by electronic nannies. How many actually ride with them turned off to feel the full effect of 200bhp? 

Makes no sense, I find it funny that Honda added a button for traction control that appears to be an afterthought, it tells me TC isn’t  necessary but their engineers were told to add it by the marketing people.

I think I will have an aftermarket exhaust but don’t want to screw the performance up for the sake of extra noise so will probably go the official Akrapovic route. The only thing holding me back is negative equity on my Africa Twin which won’t disappear till next Spring. It’s going to be a long year waiting and watching whilst the last generation of VFRs disappear. Selfishly I hope that the low level exhaust and slight loss of BHP means there is one last red one leftover for me!

Hi Bob. 

I don't rate the Akra, but mine came with one attached. I fitted a DAM to my 1200 and love it.

I've had the TC engage a couple of times but usually due to over-exuberance with the throttle over surfaces I shouldn't but otherwise, it never activates. Perhaps I should try harder.

In the real world, the newer model is faster than the older....it has more useable torque in the right place, is lighter and handles better.

The 800X is an even better bike!   :fing02:

Archived