if you went from a owning a 6th Gen to an 8th gen which do you prefer?

VFR80025th

I have a 2007 VFR RWB and I love it.

I've considered at times going to the 8th Gen but the looks hold me back compared to my RWB which always gathers a crowd

wherever I go. Top speed is less and  it seems it is not as quick according to another member I talked to who owned both.

In general what do 6th to 8th gen owners feel about the switch.

Thxs

Honestly, there is very little difference between the two. Any fractions of a second in 0-60 are not noticeable. Same goes for 4 or 5 mph difference in top speed - how often do you ride at top speed?
I've put a K&N filter, Delkevic slip-on, and tuned power commander on my 8th gen, and it's definitely quicker/faster than a stock 6th gen VFR, but not enough to rave about.
To me, the biggest difference between the two is with the front mounted radiator, my 2014 is noticeably narrower than previous gens. Personally, I like this a lot. The engine management and FI also seems a bit more refined.
That said, if you like your 2007 RWB (beautiful bike), and it has less than 40k miles, I don't really see the reason to switch. I'm hoping the next generation will will lose another 20 lbs, and bump the displacement to 900. That would be a bike worth switching for!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I never thought the 6th was a worthwhile upgrade from 5th. ABS is the only benefit. That said, the 8th is a great upgrade from 5th. I know it’s not really answering the question asked. 

I have had my ‘99 topped out only one time. (1 mph faster than my geared for acceleration RC51 track bike) and I can’t imagine the top speed differential between any 800 is worth considering in a purchase decision. 

Keep the RWB. The only reason I would upgrade if I owned a high mileage 6gen and and was looking for a newer reliable VFR, that would need less maintenance.

Power differences are so minuscule that are not worth talking about.

OEM Integrated luggage option, OEM quick shifter option, OEM bar riser option, better voltage regulator/charging system, Aluminum subframe, led headlights, gear indicator, seat height can be adjusted. 

• Member Contributer

Sold my 6th gen and bought the 8th the very next day.

Never looked back. 8th is simply a better motorcycle.

I think it was tuned for slightly less top speed but added low end, either way with the quickshifter the 8th is quicker 😉

I'm a huge fan of my 5th gen, and I feel more 5th gen lineage in the 8th than I do the 6th. It has that Honda feel!

On the other hand, 6th gen pros: bags fit a full size helmet, better lights (illumination) for night riding, sounds a tiny bit more throaty. Open rear swing arm and yours in RWB with 25ed sticker. One day it may be collectible for those that like stickers:)

• Member Contributer

I had a 6th gen and really enjoyed it, no complaints at all, great bike! I picked up an 8th gen summer before last and am really enjoying it, the 8th gen to me seems to have more tech and refinements, a more current day look and feel IMO. I really like that the 8th gen oem luggage doesn't require those ugly racks, even the oem trunk mount is more compact, integrated and clean, adjustable seat, heated grips, traction control, LED lights, and I like that the brakes aren't linked now. I added a heated seat and cruise control and am all set, am loving this bike! 

You should keep your 07 RWB though and still buy an 8th gen, otherwise you'll always look back on why you sold the RWB. Neither of these bikes are expensive compared to other options out there, having one of each for not too much over $10k sounds like a great investment and future smiles of rides!

What about the 8th Gen do you like that makes you consider doing it?

vfr4.jpg

IMG_6168_zpss1la8ygo.jpg

• Member Contributer

Had 3 6gens and loved them, but my 8gen is the best Why? All the electrical issues, stators, r/r etc have been sorted, so reliability has been improved. Headlights, fuel economy, weight, brakes have all been improved. The 8gen also feels more manoeuvrable, and slimmer with the front mounted radiators. Also love the oem pannier mount arrangement. Just my personal thoughts.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, jimmyp said:

Who makes your heated seat, and how do you like it?

Sargent built it, I sent them the oem pans. The heat works great, the comfort I was hoping for more but it's fine around town, longer trips I throw the Airhawk on.

Thxs everyone for chiming in. All excellent comments.

GRUM: I know its nice not to have to worry about any electrical.

TIUTUS: YES the RWB is special

Don't get me wrong. I love my 2007

At 18,000miles or 28,000kms I always worry about what if and when I break down due to an electrical gremlin. I Hope not.

I never ride in rain or traffic. Less heat less stress on RR and stator.

I always check my voltage on my battery every week and I plan on checking all my connecters before this summer riding starts.

Plus a new Yuasa is ready to be inserted.

There have been some that have never had electrical gremlins.

Maybe I will be one of those.

Thxs

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, VFR80025th said:

Don't get me wrong. I love my 2007

At 18,000miles or 28,000kms I always worry about what if and when I break down due to an electrical gremlin. I Hope not.

I never ride in rain or traffic. Less heat less stress on RR and stator.

I always check my voltage on my battery every week and I plan on checking all my connecters before this summer riding starts.

Plus a new Yuasa is ready to be inserted.

There have been some that have never had electrical gremlins.

Maybe I will be one of those.

Thxs

Are the 6th gens known to have electrical problems? Maybe I was just lucky but my 6th gen was a mule, never had any issues at all, typical Honda IMO. 

• Member Contributer

The RWB is a GORGEOUS bike! I've always liked those.

I had a white '06. Went through three stators/RRs in 70k miles. Was seeing signs of another outage imminent and some other electrical issues looming as well, so I traded it for the 2014 deluxe in white in 2014. 

What I like better about the 8th GEN:

Narrower and a bit lighter (I'm not that big at 150lbs) so much easier to handle in the mountains.

The little touches like the bronze finish on the wheels and heads really set it off.

It just looks dead sexy with the new styling too.

Smoother acceleration.

Don't know about the electrical issues yet since I've only got 28k miles on it. Been riding my other bikes more. lol

Heated grips stock are nice.

What I DON'T like about the 8th GEN:

LUGGAGE! The new luggage is too small to put helmets in the side cases. That's a non starter for me. I had to get the GIVI bags. They aren't nearly as nice looking as the OEM, but I really need the storage for commuting.

• Member Contributer

"The top speed is lower".  This one kills me.  Who and why does anyone need to go over 130 mph on a VFR, where and why?  The 8th gen. has much more useable lower and mid-range torque.  Looks are in the eye of the beholder.  The VFR is an obsolete bike in the US thanks to Honda and people that aren't willing to buy new motorcycles at a profit to Honda.  Just simple business on Honda's part.  I don't blame them for dropping the model in the US.  When price is the most important feature of a motorcycle, kiss it goodbye.  Harley is having to deal with that now for a change and they're a "dead man walking" product.  It already happened to VFR's.  Enjoy what you have because they're not coming back in any similar form if at all.     

Hi!

Had a 2011 VFR for 2 years and loved it!

I have a 8th gen now and it´s a great improvement from the older model...

Lighter, better brakes, better fueling, better handling, better mid range power, smoth vtec transition etc... but if I could I keep both 😁

BTW the top speed it´s almost the same, did 265km/h on the rc46 and 255km/h on the RC93, but the engine isn´t totally loose, need some more km...

Some pics of the old and the new 

DSC01098.JPG

IMG_7293_DPP.JPG

IMG_20181020_184037_408 (1).jpg

20180818_153558.jpg

• Member Contributer

What is the difference between a RC 79 and an RC 93? Is it just where it is sold or just the newer model. I am familiar with RC 79 but never heard of a RC 93?

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Philois1984 said:

What is the difference between a RC 79 and an RC 93? Is it just where it is sold or just the newer model. I am familiar with RC 79 but never heard of a RC 93?

Looks like 79 is 2014-16 and 93 is ‘17+. 

Odd since they called all 5th and 6th gens RC46 and there were some significant differences between them! Plus both gens had updated models within each model type. 

Maybe because they didn’t sell ‘17+ here in USA (North America?)

• Member Contributer
40 minutes ago, BuzznerSuntrusts said:

Looks like 79 is 2014-16 and 93 is ‘17+. 

Odd since they called all 5th and 6th gens RC46 and there were some significant differences between them! Plus both gens had updated models within each model type. 

Maybe because they didn’t sell ‘17+ here in USA (North America?)

They made minor alterations to the bike in 2017 for Euro4 - May have have been so all "RC93" models are Euro4 compliant.

5 hours ago, Bent said:

"The top speed is lower".  This one kills me.  Who and why does anyone need to go over 130 mph on a VFR, where and why?  The 8th gen. has much more useable lower and mid-range torque.  Looks are in the eye of the beholder.  The VFR is an obsolete bike in the US thanks to Honda and people that aren't willing to buy new motorcycles at a profit to Honda.  Just simple business on Honda's part.  I don't blame them for dropping the model in the US.  When price is the most important feature of a motorcycle, kiss it goodbye.  Harley is having to deal with that now for a change and they're a "dead man walking" product.  It already happened to VFR's.  Enjoy what you have because they're not coming back in any similar form if at all.     

Yep, so if someone in the US want a brand new Honda VFR800, you best find one sitting on a dealer floor. As an American that's your last chance to get one (new).

True!

RC79 2014-2016

RC93 2017-Present

This last model only sells in Europe and Asia I believe...

The diferences are the forks that came in chrome, 12v socket, the Tokico calipers are slightly different, the stock exhaust it´s tri oval looks better then the RC79 IMO and sounds nice with a deep tone like this 😎

Archived