Throttle lock?

Igrok

• Member Contributer

Scotkoiler Crampbuster

I know, not a lock. But on my 5,5k tour found it 10x better than the GoCruise lock

• Member Contributer

I wish throttlemeister would pull there finger out and release a 8th gen compatible model, I think they are the best looking and also act as bar end weights. Have contacted them several months ago but they have no plans for an 8th gen model in the near future. Will probably go with the Kaoko myself

C30BE9D0-EA1B-4346-A577-E427613AAE84.png

• Member Contributer

Another vote for the Crampbuster. I have had Throttlemeisters on a couple bikes, and removed 'em since I rarely used 'em. I have a lever type lock on one of my bikes that was installed by the PO, and I've only used it a handful of times. That's gonna come off eventually too though I'll need to replace the grip/throttle tube since it was shortened for the install. Crampbuster is easy on/off no mods required.

• Member Contributer

One caveat would be if you ride 20+ miles dead straight regularly. That would warrant the expense. Maybe 🙂

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Dutchy said:

One caveat would be if you ride 20+ miles dead straight regularly. That would warrant the expense. Maybe 🙂

Maybe add a zero on to the mileage then I would think about one. Yes I have a crampbuster but it’s sat in the toolbox for years and is only used on 300 mile plus motorway journeys. Day to day riding no need. 😀

I'm thinking the crampbuster is the way to go... They're cheap enough to buy and not regret.  I've got a 1500 mile trip this summer and a lot is highway slabbing. I don't made 200 - 300 miles if its twisties and back roads, but highways suck like a ... Hoover vacuum.

• Member Contributer

I've crashed my fifth gen and the responding officer attributed it the my crampbuster. The story:

I was practicing clover leafs in Minneapolis about 12:30 am. West-bound on freeway, passed a parked local LEO on the right side of the road as I approched the interchange. I made the loop to south-bound and continued on the exit lane to head back east-bound. I recall vividly looking out at the exit and applying right pressure on the grip. But I drifted wide and "missed" missing the left curb by about three feet. Leaned over, the front wheel hit the curb, launched skyward and slammed back down when the rear wheel hit the curb. I slid across the exit lane onto a 20 foot wide curbed median before I came to a rest.

The officer saw the headlights shinning all over the place and was on the scene in less than a minute. I was still seated on the bike, unmoving as he walked up. As soon as he spoke I came to, jumped up, riped my helmet off and walked around. He asked me if I knew where I was; I said I was at my destination exit 15 miles away. When he asked my my name, "I had trouble with that" he said.

I woke up in a hospital bed, having been through the ER 70, minutes later.

I later called the responding officer and he related the details. This is when he made the crampbuster accusations. He explained he was a rider and had a fellow officer who was certain a crampbuster caused his own crash. He said that while pressuring the right grip I'd unknowningly pushed on the crampbuster just enough to add acceleration enough to widen my turn; more effort to get where I wanted to go, more radius added.

Sometime after that I had my carpal tunnel issues fixed and the hands problems got better. 

I've never used a crampbuster or similar since. 

• Member Contributer
On 2/10/2019 at 1:41 PM, Philois1984 said:

I wish throttlemeister would pull there finger out and release a 8th gen compatible model, I think they are the best looking and also act as bar end weights. Have contacted them several months ago but they have no plans for an 8th gen model in the near future. Will probably go with the Kaoko myself

C30BE9D0-EA1B-4346-A577-E427613AAE84.png

I have the Throttlemeister on my Gen 8, it works just like it should, no problems at all with it. I bought it used from a guy here or the other forum that was running it on his Gen 8, he said it was a Gen 6 Throttlemeister and that Throttlemeister told him they would be the same. I don't have the box so don't have the part #, sorry.

IMG_6851_zpstsrfclrp.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for that VifferJ I will look in to it. Surprised that Throttlemeister didn’t tell me that when I spoke to them. Regardless that makes me very 😃 

• Member Contributer

I tried other solutions but find the best for me is the Go Cruise-style throttle lock: https://www.twistedthrottle.ca/go-cruise-2-throttle-device-universal-auminum-black

(probably even cheaper forms a U.S. vendor)

I had the composite version for years but now have the adjustable aluminum one. It is far cheaper than a Throttlemeister, and easier to use.

Heres what it looks like on my 6th gen

Df-L01921.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have a Throttlemeister on my ST1300, but I have never really got on with it.  It does work and looks very nice.  

But what I've used on many bikes for ages is the venerable Vista Cruise (twin-cable model) plastic lever.  Damned simple, and works great--once you get it adjusted correctly.  I find the locking and unlocking action to be extremely natural and (unlike the Crampbuster) unlikely to interfere with the throttle when you're not using it.  And, of course, unlike the Crampbuster, it actually locks the throttle!  

Ciao,

JZH

• 2 months later...

I emailed Throttlemeister July of last year and they said this model would fit:  AHR2 Kit - Black, Standard

It did, and they also include the tool to remove the Honda bar weights with your order..   hope that helps. 

Archived