8th Gen VFR800 (2015) Injector fuse blows (Solved)

AlanD

Hi All FYI in case others have similar problem which I solved ! Assume similar for std VFR800.
My 2015 new model VFR800X Crossrunner wouldn't start after stopping at the shops after a longish ride. Starter motor turned over but no life. Engine light came on. Left it for a while and came back with tools etc. Checked fuses and the 10a FI2 fuses was blown. New fuse, rode home, stopped n started 20 times, all ok. As a check I pulled the fuse and got engine light on. Reading service manual you could read error codes if ignition on with side stand down - long flash first number shorter flashes second number eg 2 long 3 short = error code 23. I got 5 codes, 4 injector errors and O2 sensor. (Attached error codes from VFR800).
Week later off for a ride, stopped for fuel. Exactly same thing, fuse blown, had a pocket full just in case !
Changed fuse rode home, stopped & started another 20 times all ok. Sort of wondered if it needs to 'rest' eg warm to cooler for a few minutes as in shops, fuel station so gave it 5 minutes and fuse blew again. Thinking it was a heat issue went for the O2 sensor intending to disconnect and measure resistance - in looking found the problem, one of the white wires (sensor heating) had rubbed through the insulation and was shorting on an 'edge' of the engine sump !  Not sure re heating maybe the wire sort of expanded/curved to contact engine as it got hot & cooled !
Sensor is in exhaust at rear of engine. Glad I found it so easily and hope this can help others.

Alan, Marbella

Hondafaultcodes.png

• Member Contributer

Hi Alan.

Thanks for sharing your detailed fuse blowing experience, glad you solved it. Might have a look at the cable run on my VFR800F to see if there is a potential for a similar issue.

Cheers.

Archived