pegram80

Hi all,

I'm having trouble finding answer re. my linked brake issue and hope someone can help.

I had the bike on the center stand and spun the rear wheel and found that the brake lever had no effect on it. I tried a second time and pulled the lever quite hard but still no effect on rear wheel.

I spun it again and tried with the pedal and the wheel stopped.

I haven't tried it with the front wheel.

It's as if it has been converted to standard braking but I'm quite certain  the previous owner wouldn't have done that.

I haven't done anything to the brake system myself but I'm wondering if incorrect brake bleeding could cause this.

Neither the lever or pedal feel spongy and the bike pulls up just fine.

I'm quite new to the linked brake system so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

• Member Contributer

Have a look at your front left brake caliper arrangement, you'll notice the secondary master cylinder that reacts to front wheel braking. As you apply front brakes while riding the secondary master cylinder compresses forcing brake fluid to the centre piston of the rear caliper. There is no direct hydraulic connection from the front brake lever to the rear caliper.

This is why your static test doesn't work. From memory (don't have a 6gen any more). If you spin the rear wheel and push the secondary master cylinder forward you'll get the braking effect happen at the rear wheel.

Have a good look in the service manual and you'll see how things work.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

One little-known aspect of the linked brakes, at least for the fifth gen, is their superior stopping ability.

Motorcycle Consumer News (best in the business - no advertising) used to publish statistics for used motorcycles a couple time a year. At the end of the articles there was a comparison of 'Best Of' stats for various mc's. In the 60 to 0 catagory, fifth gen VFRs tied for sixth-best at 108-point-somthing of all motorcycles. Every review of mc braking I've come across considers ~ 120 feet 60 to 0 excellent. The most important thing is to use both brakes together all the time.

And I've experienced some amazing stops in my riding experience.

Archived