Firing Order

CanOfBeans

I am racking my brain on this and I need help bad, my VFR800 is running poorly (bass popping noise every few seconds) and I think I installed the fuel injector connectors wrong when reassembling after a thermostat replacement. I have the service manual, but the damn jerks didn’t label the drawing. What is the cylinder firing order on a 2003 VFR800 (non-ABS)? In the screenshot provided, is A the front or B the front? It’s confusing to me because it’s not labeled at all. Also, B looks like the front because the engine extends back, unlike A where it looks like it extends forward. I have no idea what in the hell the square to the left of the #1-3 is. If that’s the crankcase it should be to the right. So again, is A the front or is it B? 

Thank you to all that reply, I’m almost done restoring this Viffer that sat for two years in a garage in Georgia 😱

E210B67C-44FC-4A15-880E-A54B67B367B1.jpeg

• Member Contributer

OK, so the firing order is 1 - 3 - 2 - 4. On your drawing B is the front of the bike so cylinders 2 and 4 are the front, 2 is left, 4 is right, rear cylinders are 1 left 3 right.

Injector 1 has a Pink/Blue wire and the Black/White. Injector 2 has a Red/Yellow wire and the Black/White. Injector 3 has a Pink/Green and the Black/White. Injector 4 has Pink/Black and the Black/White wire.

Hopefully you should be able to see the injector wire colour at the rear of the plug on each lead.

And yes Injector 1 goes to Cylinder 1 etc.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

• Member Contributer
23 minutes ago, Grum said:

OK, so the firing order is 1 - 3 - 2 - 4. On your drawing B is the front of the bike so cylinders 2 and 4 are the front, 2 is left, 4 is right, rear cylinders are 1 left 3 right.

Injector 1 has a Pink/Blue wire and the Black/White. Injector 2 has a Red/Yellow wire and the Black/White. Injector 3 has a Pink/Green and the Black/White. Injector 4 has Pink/Black and the Black/White wire.

Hopefully you should be able to see the injector wire colour at the rear of the plug on each lead.

Does this apply across all V4800 gens?

28 minutes ago, Grum said:

Wow, thank you for that detailed comment! Seriously! A+ I will continue reassembly tomorrow morning 🙂

• Member Contributer
36 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

Hi MaxSwell.

Hope you managed to dodge the Polar Vortex, phew that would freeze the nuts off a tractor!!!!

I can only say YES to 5th 6th and 8gens.

Cheers and keep warm:beer:

1 hour ago, MaxSwell said:

Cylinder numbering is the same across all the Honda V4's. Firing order is the same for all the 180° V4's from the VFR750F on. (The 360° VF750/VFR400/RVF400 and I think VFR750R/RVF750R use 1-4-3-2).

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Grum said:

Hi MaxSwell.

Hope you managed to dodge the Polar Vortex, phew that would freeze the nuts off a tractor!!!!

I can only say YES to 5th 6th and 8gens.

Cheers and keep warm:beer:

Thanks Grum, no dodgeing the PV but I did survive. No tractor but the VFR nuts were well frozen. I'll have to check and see if they've fallen off yet.

And you have your own concerns I detect. First the Big Scorch then the Big Drench. Have you started building your Grum's Ark? If you do, I'd like to invite you to visit me here in Minneapolis. My house is only a couple of miles from the Mighty Mississippi River. You could sail 99.99% of the way here. I'd love to meet you.

It might be nice to trade places at least for an hour or two. 

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

And you have your own concerns I detect. First the Big Scorch then the Big Drench. Have you started building your Grum's Ark? If you do, I'd like to invite you to visit me here in Minneapolis. My house is only a couple of miles from the Mighty Mississippi River. You could sail 99.99% of the way here. I'd love to meet you.

It's a case of James Taylor's Fire and Rain here, thanks for your kind offer and if I'm ever sailing my Ark down the Misses Yippee I will call by, be nice to wish you a Happy 70th in person.:beer:

Cheers.

P.S. Sorry everyone - a little off topic here:offtopic:

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone (big shout out to Mr Grum of course) for commenting and help. I replaced the thermostat, got the right firing order (BTW, the cyclinder heads are numbered right on top 🤦🏽‍♂️) and my MPG still sucked. 

I noticed a persistent smell of gas and my MPG went from 25 to 32, still not great after the pain in the ass that is a thermostat replacement. After reading forum after forum, I decided to test my Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR). You unplug the vacuum line on it and if gas slowly trickles out while running, the diagphram inside is torn. It may take up to 2 minutes to test it on small rips. Well mine pissed out gas immediately. I also noticed gasoline would pool in the bottom right (if looking from the tail to front) cyclinder over time. My dumbass thought it was there to help start the bike (second 🤦🏽‍♂️) I ordered a new FPR and BAM!! The throttle response is amazing and it no longer stalls on 1st. More than the thermostat (which was stuck open by 2mm when removed) the faulty FPR was destroying my MPG. Now I’m at 42MPG and acceleration is friggin amazing!! From 25 to 42 MPG feels amazing 🥳 The bike feels completely different, it feels like a super sport comapared  to before 😱 Check those FPRs fellas! My bike was sitting over a year when I bought it so that may have done it in, but gasoline kills flexible rubber, I can’t imagine an FPR lasts longer than a few years under good conditions. A simple test can save you $$$ at the pump. I plan to check my FPR everytime I clean my air filter (12k miles, per the maintenance schedule). 

Thank you all again, I hope this helps some future forum lurker trying to improve his MPG. 

Great job, feels so good when your efforts actually fix the problem (and bring the bike back to running like it did when new).  Job well done!

The 5th and 6th Gen VFRs are getting older and, as you pointed out, things like the Thermostat and the Fuel Pressure Regulator are consumable items.  The Honda build quality we love in our VFRs doesn't mean that the consumable items will last forever.  I applaud you for addressing these things instead of trying to ignore them.

I'm currently waiting on delivery of 2 Fuel Pressure Regulators, one for my '99 5th Gen and one for my '01 5th Gen.  The '99 has begun to run a bit on the stinky side with not-so-good fuel mileage so it's getting a new FPR this spring.  The '01 is fine (it doesn't stink of unburned fuel and the fuel mileage is still good) but I figure that while I'm doing the FPR replacement on the '99 why not do the '01 also?

• Member Contributer

That's Great news. Thanks for the detailed feedback, we can all learn from it. Ruptured FPR's seem to be reasonably common amongst older 5 and 6gens. Pours excess fuel into cylinders 3&4, number 3 exhaust can appear cold.

No longer is your bike a CanOfBeans, or should that be CanOfWorms! Enjoy your ride.

Cheers :beer::wheel:

Archived