Should I change valve stems when installing my new tires?

VFR80025th

• Member Contributer

When I used rubber valve stems I would inspect them and change if warranted. Same difference with the angled valve stems, I inspect the rubber gasket and change the stems if needed. So far I have had the same angled valve stems for several tire changes and rubber gasket is still in good shape.

• Member Contributer

I had an issue with a valve stem replacement when getting a new rear tyre fitted. They fitted a new valve stem that was slightly longer and I was not informed about the stem replacement, nor did I want it replaced. When I fitted the wheel back on the bike I could hear a faint ticking sound while riding, eventually discovered the new slightly longer stem was hitting the brake Caliper. Had to remove the wheel, take it back and have a correct stem fitted.

I agree with Duc2V4 and FJ12Ryder, have never had an issue with valve stems on my cars or bikes, simply replacing valves stems just on spec is overkill IMO. It's a personal choice!

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, MBrane said:

Yep!

These (or ones like that one) will stay on. It is the "vertical rubber ones" that are replaced each time. This as per my "tyre guy" who is a one of the larger retailer of mc tyres

• Member Contributer

Yes, because it is the rubber stem that degrades over time, not the o-ring seal.  If your valve stem isn't made of rubber, there's no problem that needs periodic "solving".

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Every time I change tires...If I have traditional stems (like stock) I push it over sideways.  If I see cracking or dry rot, I replace them.  If I'm on my game, Ill order angled stems and put those on...those, if they are Italian, have a buna-n o-ring (doubt they are viton) which should last a long time. If you buy them from China, lord knows what kind of o-rings they are or how long they will last. Those O-rings are replaceable as well.

If you buy OEM stock o-rings, youll be buying a known quality product, well spec'ed.  the angled ones from Curvey Girl are Italian, quality products.

Matt

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

Same here. Love them.

Me, too.

Don't think I paid that much for them, but they were a couple of dollars more than rubber. The minor increase in cost over regular valve stems is worth it. Especially checking pressure on the front tire.  They're plenty light, too. I didn't even need weights on my last balance.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

I bought genuine Ariete stems on Ebay for $17 IIRC.

That seems like a great price. I think I paid ~ $25. And I keep a spare pair on hand.

Archived