Oh so shiny 2000

UpArrrow

13,000 miles on it and I'm the third owner.

Owners manual, service manual, tool kit, original retail sales paperwork and buyers check stub are in hand.   Paid for but need to arrange transit to my home 6 hours away.   

It's been so well cared for, I'll be a steward of it rather than an owner.   I'm just smitten with it.   

All of these 5th gen left the factory with black painted wheels, no?   I'm wondering what process the original owner used to strip them.  

IMG_20190129_103728638.jpg

IMG_20190129_103737704_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190129_104402656.jpg

IMG_20190130_115441545.jpg

IMG_20190130_115534776_HDR.jpg

• Member Contributer

when you see lovely cherished bikes like this I often wonder 'why buy a brand new expensive bike' ?,not that I could afford a new bike but the new Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 looks like it would be fun for not a lot of money, it looks like it suits somewhere nice and warm and sunny in the US or OZ and just tooling around, lovely bike by the way, hope you have fun with it

• Member Contributer

Well cared for is right! Congrats on a good find:beer:

Yes, they all left the factory with black wheels. Are they stripped or powder coated?

Reach up under the headlight and see if the small square panel is in place. In Europe there is a parking bulb in the front of the headlight and there is an access panel to change it out. It's gone in the vast majority of 5th Gens. I'm betting your is there!

2 hours ago, BuzznerSuntrusts said:

Well cared for is right! Congrats on a good find:beer:

Yes, they all left the factory with black wheels. Are they stripped or powder coated?

Reach up under the headlight and see if the small square panel is in place. In Europe there is a parking bulb in the front of the headlight and there is an access panel to change it out. It's gone in the vast majority of 5th Gens. I'm betting your is there!

It was a bit of a 'lucky' find, listed by the 2nd owner as a 2002 in a rural ATV oriented market.  He ran his listing for 9 months before I saw his advert, then I waited 2 months to pull the trigger because he had erroneously listed it as having a replacement cam.   Thankfully a VFR expert pointed out to me that there are no replacement cams available for this bike so that couldn't be the case.  Then my interest picked up.   

I believe the wheels were chemically dip-stripped or bead blasted by the original owner who also polished the edges.   They weren't clear coated so some of what you are noting as dirt is oxidation, IMO.   That would be a long term goal for this bike - having them soda-blasted then clear coated. 

I finished the transaction yesterday and came home with title, cowl, a heavy file folder full of every bit of ephemera associated with the original purchase of the bike including buyers check stub, owners and service manuals, 2000 Honda full line catalog etc.  

But no bike.  Its too cold to ride the 7 hrs home over an 8000' mountain pass so I'm looking for economical transport from Grand Junction, CO to Salt Lake City.   

• Member Contributer

There was some kind of chemical stripping goop that was popular a few years ago. Aircraft paint remover or something... Probably was that.

Personally, I'd get them powder coated. Because I did mine.

Very nice piece, I really like the gray wheels with the yellow body work

I have a 91 here needing paint and it has power coated gray wheels with candy red power coated calipers

After I finish my 90 I think your bike has me convinced the 91 is going to be either yellow or RC30 colors

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, UpArrrow said:

13,000 miles on it and I'm the third owner.

Owners manual, service manual, tool kit, original retail sales paperwork and buyers check stub are in hand.   Paid for but need to arrange transit to my home 6 hours away.   

It's been so well cared for, I'll be a steward of it rather than an owner.   I'm just smitten with it.   

All of these 5th gen left the factory with black painted wheels, no?   I'm wondering what process the original owner used to strip them.  

IMG_20190129_103728638.jpg

IMG_20190129_103737704_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190129_104402656.jpg

IMG_20190130_115441545.jpg

IMG_20190130_115534776_HDR.jpg

That is one fabulous example of the best gen. Having owned two of the Y2K machines, I can testify that they make one 30 years younger and 205% sexier. You've been warned.

I bought mine with twice as many miles and have loved every minute of owning it. Mine has the black wheels, never thought about stripping them... I added gel pad, cramp buster and risers and for my height I am putting a windshield wing... Will get a matching corbin seat and then figure out what I want next... these are awesome motorcycles!

Nice find. 

Y2K VFR should have black OEM wheels, but silver wheels looks just fine. 

I picked up my 00 VFR w/13k miles on odo back in 2016 under $3K, now it has over 19k miles, in need of new tires, chain/sprockets. 

Looks like the previous owner might have lowered the front end by pulling the fork legs up in the triple tree. 

High mount Staintune exhaust looks sharp, does it also have 98-99 headers? 

10 hours ago, cat0020 said:

Nice find. 

Y2K VFR should have black OEM wheels, but silver wheels looks just fine. 

I picked up my 00 VFR w/13k miles on odo back in 2016 under $3K, now it has over 19k miles, in need of new tires, chain/sprockets. 

Looks like the previous owner might have lowered the front end by pulling the fork legs up in the triple tree. 

High mount Staintune exhaust looks sharp, does it also have 98-99 headers? 

Hmmm.  Interesting observations.   If the front has been lowered I won't want to try a max speed run I guess, based on what I've read about high speed stability.  I"ll take and post another pic to better show that area.  

I've no idea how to tell if headers are original ?????   

Bike is here now.  $225 to get it hauled up here in a covered trailer by a guy that hauls bikes in the Western US for a living.   Well worth it.   

IMG_20190206_150119690.jpg

IMG_20190206_153701072_HDR.jpg

My boot tips barely touch the ground on this bike.  I've got to do something to get a bit lower.  I'm unwilling to use a lowering link or invest $$$$$ into a shock set up so that leaves shaving the seat as my option.   I don't need to ride this bike more than 1 hr per sitting  so comfort isn't paramount.

There is a factory seat in nice condition listed locally - $80 is sellers bottom dollar.   I could keep it as an unmolested backup in case I decide to move the bike due to fit issue.   

Grab it, or are these a dime a dozen?   

• Member Contributer

If you are ever near Minneapolis, MN look me up. I have several extra. You can have one for free. I've packaged one for delivery and they are a pain in the neck pack. Plus shipping was around $50 to Buffalo NY.

2 hours ago, 9C1 said:

Nice bike - I've got a yellow VFR as well.  If you were so inclined, I'd be glad to make you an offer for that yellow rear seat cowl.

Going to keep the gang together in case I move it on.  

1 hour ago, MaxSwell said:

If you are ever near Minneapolis, MN look me up. I have several extra. You can have one for free. I've packaged one for delivery and they are a pain in the neck pack. Plus shipping was around $50 to Buffalo NY.

Yeah now that UPS is emphasizing pkg size vs weight it would be very spendy to ship one.   

Well cool news I met up with the seller and bought the OEM seat.  On getting home I found that someone had already peeled the rider section and shaved it exactly as I needed, and did a very neat job of it.   

Saved myself the trouble of buying an electric knife!

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, UpArrrow said:

Well cool news I met up with the seller and bought the OEM seat.  On getting home I found that someone had already peeled the rider section and shaved it exactly as I needed, and did a very neat job of it.   

Saved myself the trouble of buying an electric knife!

Congrats! That is great news. Unexpected Made To Fit. 

It can be quite problematic when your feet are not firmly planted when stopped. I can just flat foot the machine at a standstill; but my foot has ended up in low spots that have caused near- and complete tip-overs. Now you should be able ride with much more confidence.   

Archived