GIVI Cases??

• Member Contributer

I have an opportunity to obtain a rack along with dented and scratched-up side cases for my '97.  In talking with the owner he thought new GIVI cases would still be available as they are somewhat universal, it is just the mounting rack that quite difficult to locate.

I know nothing about GIVI cases and what fits a "97 and was hoping that someone here could "school" me on these; what would I look for and all......

Appreciate any info.

• Member Contributer

There are tonnes of GiVi cases out there, and most of them fit on the same racks, top or side.  Not all, though, so check.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

E41 cases......so now I have something to look for.

Yeah I see that there are ALOT of Givi cases out there, I just have no idea how to determine which ones would fit the rack for my '97.

Thanks.

You should try to find whether this is Monokey or Monolock system. I guess VFRs have Monokey system which is on the upper range of Givi cases. Then any Monokey top case fits. 

How does it look like?

Monokey looks like this:

https://www.motocard.com/fr/platines/givi-m3_monokey.aspx

when Monolock is like that:

https://www.motocard.com/fr/platines/givi-mm_monolock.aspx

You should easily determine what you should be looking for. Hopefully, Monokey and Monolock systems have been there for years so you can access plenty of 2nd hand cases as well as brand new ones. 

Happy hunting 😉

• Member Contributer

Givi case are part of a system. I have a wingrack which is a MonoKey system, so any Monokey case will fit my rack. 

I can even fit the side case on top, or the top case on the side, although it will look kinda funny if I do.

• Member Contributer

There aren't any Monolock side cases; that is strictly a top box system (but interchangeable with other Monolock cases and racks).  The vast majority of GiVi cases and racks are Monokey, but ISTR there is one GiVi side case system that looks like the Monokey, but has a different spacing between the two posts/slots.  But, I've never had it in my hands, so I'm just going on what someone was saying online...

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

The seller has told me that the cases have a label with "38" on them; thinks this means 38 liters.  Also these are Monokey cases.  I am going to try to get everything today and then try to find new cases.

Correction: monokey

On 2/2/2019 at 1:05 PM, JZH said:

..... but ISTR there is one GiVi side case system that looks like the Monokey, but has a different spacing between the two posts/slots. ....

That is probably the V35 case rack - it has a curved back to use the space below the seat. The rack as well as being curved has a different spacing/size to the three box mounting points, but which look standard on first view. I don't remember the exact differences but I considered modifying my standard flat-back Monokey E21 cases with some form of false base to fit the curved rack and cases that came with the bike (a TDM900A), but found it was not possible. I got standard Monokey racks instead. Still got the curved racks and V35s - actually Kappa K35s, the cheapo versions.

The standard Monokey side racks are the PL range, the curved ones for the V35s are PLX

Pic shows the K35s on their rack, and a Monokey plate awaiting a top box.

DSC_3338 - no no.JPG

• Member Contributer

Just wanted to update this and report that I did get the Givi cases and rack.  The cases are road-rashed as he got hit by a car, but they still lock and seal just fine, just do not look the best.  The rack is in pretty good shape, just a bit of some surface rust; might get them powder-coated depending upon cost.

Have not had time yet to mount them onto my '97, still in the moving process and bouncing between two houses. I will take a few pictures and post them soon.

• Member Contributer

"Anything" can be made to fit a 4th Gen if you are prepared to farkle a bit and be creative :goofy:

9.jpg

Archived