Gen 6 differences early to late.

Robmc

Hi guys. New to the forum but have long loved the VFR800’s and hoping to pick up a very tidy one this Saturday - see how we go.

My question for all the gurus out there is

What are the differences between the early and late 6th gen VFRs.

They had such a long model run here in Australia 2001-2013 

I’m looking at two bikes a 2001 bike that needs some tidying but I can afford to make some mods and upgrades I would like 

Or a very clean 2010 model

Are there any major changes during this model other than the slight retune around 2006? 

The 2010 has the black frame and top triple clamp which I really prefer, can anyone tell me any other changes through the model run? 

Thanks in Advance

• Member Contributer

Hi Robmc. Welcome to the madhouse. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice on this one.

A 2001 is actually a 5gen, 6gens are from 2002 to mid 2014. The Australian 6th gen all are without ABS and from at least 2004 have the HISS system (Honda Ignition Security System). I had a 2004, 2007 and 2009, they were all the same except for colour, some minor tweaks to the VTEC and possibly some mods to the ECM for improved fuel economy, other than that they are all the same right up to 2014 prior to the 2014 8gen.

My choice  would be the 2010 (just my own preference thing) which would be either the Candy Red or Sword Sliver from memory, the black triple clamp and frame look smart. The 2001 will be Gear Driven Cams where as the 6gen are chain driven. Guess the choice is all about price, how the bikes have been cared for etc etc.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Cheers:beer:

Cheers for the reply. 

Believe it or not the 2001 is an Aus plated 6th gen!! All the info tells me they were released 2002 but sure enough this one was complied very late 2001 (would be MY2002)  VicRoads - the local registration authority confirms it is registered as 2001.

Any way its good to know they are all very similar. They 2010 does look very impressive in Candy red with Staintune pipes and is the way I’m leaning - guess I will have another chat to the owner tomorrow and see if I can bargin him down a bit 🤑😃

• Member Contributer
31 minutes ago, Robmc said:

Any way its good to know they are all very similar. They 2010 does look very impressive in Candy red with Staintune pipes and is the way I’m leaning - guess I will have another chat to the owner tomorrow and see if I can bargin him down a bit 🤑😃

Do both of the bikes come with the original exhausts? You may have an issue with roadworthy without the standard pipes depending on where you go to have it tested.

Unfortunately neither bike come

with the standard pipes so I am hoping that won’t be an issue. 

The 2010 was bought ‘Roadworthy’ like that from Peter Stevens in  Melbourne Victoria a few years ago but we only have one little shop out here in the sticks that does roadworthy certificates so that could be interesting! Hopefully I can source some standard pipe cheap if need be 🤔

Purchased a very clean and meticulously looked after 2010 model today!!!

Very Happy with the choice as the owner of the 2001 model was Messing me around and the price I paid for the 2010 was very reasonable. 

UNFORTUANTLY I do not have the bike home yet! 

After driving 4 hours, doing the deal and loading the bike on to a newly purchased (second hand) bike trailer we made it about 1 kilometre before we blew a tyre!

luckily the bike is safe and I was able to get it to a family friends house, so I will pick it up next week to bring home. 

Now that hat I am the owner of a well serviced and very well presented 2010 VFR800 - has anybody got any suggestions of things I should do/check/modify as a new owner of the VFR. 

The valve clearances were just inspected and the oil was changed before I picked it up.....

3469E5F4-00A0-4C41-8704-580270752B17.png

09695007-695B-4279-967F-1FAE543945CA.jpeg

376A6C0F-C43C-472E-A4F8-1000254947F7.png

Congrats on the new bike!   I too bought a VFR today.  Grey/gold 2009 model.

I was lucky enough to ride mine home 🙂

I've been looking through forums seeing what i could/should do and from what i can tell there isn't much to worry about on the 06-14 bikes.
Seems the earlier 6th gens had wiring issues resulting in a recall. Also seems to be a lot of people replacing their reg/rec as a preventative measure, but haven't found anyone saying they did it to an 06-14 bike.

So at this stage I'm just going to inspect the wiring for any issues and install a volt meter.

Not sure if you test road yours or have spent much time on VFRs but I had read that they can get a little warm... well as i'm sure you're aware it was pretty hot in Melbourne today and by the time i got home my legs and feet were pretty toasty haha   Might be time to invest in some nice summer boots 🙂

20190202_200414.jpg

• Member Contributer

CONGRATULATIONS to both of you. Fantastic looking bikes. Pegram80 yours looks like a 2010 model with the black frame. My own Sword Silver and gold 2009 VFR was a Great bike sold it at 94,000k's and was running as good as the day I bought it. Good basic maintenance on these bikes and they will serve you well.

If it's unknown when the Clutch and Brake fluids were changed then just do it, (should be no longer than 2 years).Also the coolant is very important as these bikes, by nature they run hot so coolant quality is a priority, if there are no records of it being replaced then do it. Go to any Honda Car dealership and purchase a 5ltr container of Honda Type 2 Premixed Coolant its Silicate and Borate free and designed for your engine - your bike will love it! Have a look at the Air Filter if it's cruddy just replace it. Other than routine chain and sprockets, brake pads, that's about it, I generally replace oil and filter every 8,000ks.

Don't forget - The full Service Manual can be downloaded from this site (Home Page)

Enjoy the ride.:beer:

Cheers.

19 hours ago, pegram80 said:

🙂

Not sure if you test road yours or have spent much time on VFRs but I had read that they can get a little warm... well as i'm sure you're aware it was pretty hot in Melbourne today and by the time i got home my legs and feet were pretty toasty haha   Might be time to invest in some nice summer boots 🙂

20190202_200414.jpg

Not knowing the area of Melbourne very well I only did a limited test ride as the owner had full records and I knew what I was buying.

After blowing the trailer tyre in the middle of nowhere, we had no choice but to unload the bike, flipped the trailer up onto my dual cab Ute and I road the 30 or so kilometers to my wife grandpas house! I was very warm as since I only had my helmet and gloves with me, I got sunburnt to a crisp riding in shorts and a T-shirt (I would never normally do this but I was not leaving my new baby on the side of the highway)

and you are not wrong about the VFR running warm!

Thanks for the Tips the GRUM I will get straight onto it when I get the bike home next week, it has full dealer records for servicing including valve clearance inspection, but It could well have been over two years since brake and clutch fluid was done

9 hours ago, pegram80 said:

Congrats on the new bike!   I too bought a VFR today.  Grey/gold 2009 model.

You didn’t happen to pick this up in Werribee did you?

it looks a lot like the next one I was going f to look at had I not bought the one I did....

Thanks grum. I should have mentioned I'll be giving it a service to, replacing fluids and filters.

Thanks for the coolant tip.

I am curious about the age of it though. It was first registered in 2010 but seller had it listed as a MY09... I guess I can check this via the VIN.

Rob: lmao! At least you have a good story about the first time you met 🙂

I bought the bike from a guy in Sunbury. It was listed on Ebay. I looked at a red one in Rossana and was going to look at another red/gold one which has factory panniers but the Mrs preferred the grey... plus it only has 11k on the clock. Too good to pass up.

• Member Contributer
Grum: I forgot to ask. What are your thoughts on running iridium plugs in these bikes?
I'm not Grum but I will chime in anyway:
They come with iridium plugs from the factory so I would always put them in, personally.

Another question.. while cleaning the chain, I noticed the front sprocket looks like this. The chain appears to be hitting.

I'm not 100% sure the chain was cleaned and lubed as religiously as I would but as mentioned earlier, the bike has only done 11k km and the sprockets don't look worn.

Is this normal or do I need to replace the sprocket?

20190203_192137.jpg

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, pegram80 said:

Grum: I forgot to ask. What are your thoughts on running iridium plugs in these bikes?

Yep as Dustin stated they are Platinum Iridium Plugs and will easily do at least 70,000k's NGK IMR9B-9H. The owners book states to replace them at 48,000kms but this is way too early NGK rate them at 100,000 mile!!

You bought the bike in Sunbury - my home ! Would have seen it riding around somewhere.

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, pegram80 said:

Another question.. while cleaning the chain, I noticed the front sprocket looks like this. The chain appears to be hitting.

I'm not 100% sure the chain was cleaned and lubed as religiously as I would but as mentioned earlier, the bike has only done 11k km and the sprockets don't look worn.

Is this normal or do I need to replace the sprocket?

From memory I think what your seeing is normal, for an OEM sprocket.

• Member Contributer

I think you will find that is a stock OE type front sprocket that has the chain quieting rubber on both sides, it designed to buffer the chain plates as the rollers contact the sprocket teeth & thus reduce chain noise. If you poke the area between the wear marks you should find its rubber !

regarding the 2001 bike you will probably find its an ex-launch bike, as most Honda model were released as a year model, so 2002 for the 6th gen, but manufacturing normally started in full swing in mid/late 2001, with the first models shipped out all over the world for journalists to use for review from the local Honda HQ in each country. A bunch of years ago I owned the first of the Gen 2 CBF250F’s to ever come to the UK in was in fact the Honda UK acceptance model, which w as shipped in from Brazil for Honda UK to evaluate the manufacturing standards before adding it to the Honda UK line up. So that 2001 is probably one of the launch fleet, as they have to be road registered for th3 journos to test them locally. Check some old Aussie mags first reviews, you might find it, if it is then it’s a little piece of history ! Not worth any more, but just interesting.

That’s really interesting about the 2001 bike - I didn’t end up buying it as the owner was not making it easy at all to come inspect so I bailed out. 

Would be cool if it was a Launch bike however it probably also means the first few months of its life were pretty hard then!

• Member Contributer

I one had an issue with that front sprocket. While I purchased my 2001 with 10,750 miles on the odo, I found the front sprocket had been replaced with a non-oem one without the rubber dampener. To get the nut that holds the sprocket on the shaft back into contact with the plastic female nut that drives the speedometer, they punched a hole in the plastic nut to allow the nut to slide closer to the mating male nut. When the sprocket was replaced with oem, the plastic nut no longer contacted metal nut and the speedo quit. This happened while on the way to SumSum and we stopped to pickup Hispanic Slammer. He figured out the problem and moved the plastic nut to engage the metal one. Speedo was back in business.

Just something to keep in mind.

Thank you Miguel! 

Archived