Throttle body hose replacement... silicone?

gig

Question

• Member Contributer

Seb and Kevin,

I found an archived post from this summer, you guys were replacing TB hoses. Any words of wisdom? Did you use OEM for larger hoses and bends etc...

Thx   

14 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, gig said:

Seb and Kevin,

I found an archived post from this summer, you guys were replacing TB hoses. Any words of wisdom? Did you use OEM for larger hoses and bends etc...

Thx   

Gig, 

I replaced my TB hoses and all vacuum hoses last year during my refurb. I used almost all silicone and have had no issues in about ~ 1kmi of riding since replacement. I did use factory hoses for 4 of the larger 8mm hoses where the bends were too tight for the straight replacement hoses to accommodate it, as follows:

The shortest two hoses that attach from the starter valve to the passenger side throttle bodies - more detail and pics here: https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/87690-adkfinns-5th-gen-20yr-refresh/&do=findComment&comment=1083360

The two 8mm hoses that connect to the airbox : https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/87690-adkfinns-5th-gen-20yr-refresh/&do=findComment&comment=1083363

- what is pictured did not work, i used the factory hoses (as commented in a later post). 

Overall - The 3.5mm hoses (I actually used 4mm and it fit up fine, all joints are tight) all fit and went on easily. The 8mm have tighter bends and unless you bought some elbows and did a little assembly, you'll have some trouble making the bends with straight hose replacements. I opted to use the factory hoses in those areas because I'd rather use a single piece hose than introduce joins, which seem like more places for failure. Hope this helps, happy wrenching!

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, SEBSPEED said:

Sorry just saw this - I didn't use any OEM replacement parts, all new aftermarket.

I'm intrigued Seb, what did you use for the 4 8mm hoses with the tightest bends? 

• Member Contributer
27 minutes ago, SEBSPEED said:

I'm looking for my pics, they're not in my photobucket album where I thought they should be...

Hey Seb,

Just pull the tank and airbox, escavate the throttle bodies and take a quick pic? lol

Do you remenber what type/brand hose you used?

Tmac this year? Hope you well.

Thx

G

• Member Contributer

Only just saw this, but nothing really more to add other than I only had to use the factory 8mm hoses on 2 of the tight bends. Everything else worked. I also deleted the flapper vacuum line and capped it at the fitting.

I just got whatever showed up on Amazon. It was 10' of the 3.5mm, and I think 2' of the 8mm with plenty left over on both. I was able to use the 3.5mm on my coolant reservoir overflow as it was not included in the AS3 radiator hose kit.

90A7AF56-027A-4F0F-8450-5E199D7DE6D8.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Just for an option, I found some 90 degree silicone hoses on the amazon for not too much.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T2HVLNC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The straights are 4" long, which is plenty long enough to cut it down to size, and it won't ever kink. I intend to use these to replumb my short air hoses next time I pull the throttlebody for any reason. I have normal 8mm to do the long runs to the opposite side intakes like @BuzznerSuntrustsand @adkfinn did.

Probably should have done this when I did all the 3.5mm vacuum lines, but partzilla claimed they had them and didn't...   god I hate Partzilla anymore.  Anyway, I didn't find anything wrong with what was there so the originals are fine. But it is nice to have options for when they are NOT fine.

• Member Contributer

I was thinking: you could also do a long loop. instead of a short bend?  It's just vacuum...

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, MooseMoose said:

Just for an option, I found some 90 degree silicone hoses on the amazon for not too much.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T2HVLNC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The straights are 4" long, which is plenty long enough to cut it down to size, and it won't ever kink. I intend to use these to replumb my short air hoses next time I pull the throttlebody for any reason. I have normal 8mm to do the long runs to the opposite side intakes like @BuzznerSuntrustsand @adkfinn did.

Probably should have done this when I did all the 3.5mm vacuum lines, but partzilla claimed they had them and didn't...   god I hate Partzilla anymore.  Anyway, I didn't find anything wrong with what was there so the originals are fine. But it is nice to have options for when they are NOT fine.

You may find them too thick to fit in beside the 3.5 lines. Those themselves are thicker than original and were tough to slide on beside those 8mm short bends. 

Just need to see what wizardry @SEBSPEED conjured up to make those bends. 

Ya know the one I did was a spare 6th gen... and we're talking 5th here. I will try to remember pics next week.

I do have to do a 5th soon, will get pics of that one too but it's a little ways off. 

Archived