Ok. So I believe I have found the leak from my carbs. It seems to be that the fuel joint gaskets (Items #7 circled in red in the photos attached). The problem is that my Clymer's book doesn't tell how to disassemble the carbs to this degree. It just says refer to a local dealer. I do not have the money to pay someone to repair it at the moment so I am going to attempt it myself. Does ANYBODY out there have a manual or web link that may have step by step instructions, with photos if possible, that I can refer to in order to get this completed?  I have the new seals/gasket sets just need the know how. Thank you for any of your help. 

VFR Discussion Carbs Disassembly.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have had all of them replaced about 6 months ago after having a fuel leak, it was pretty expensive as some of  the 'plastic' fuel rail parts had to be bought alongside the 'rubber seals' and some could be bought as the seals only, the repairer could not figure out why as they all looked the same on the parts fiche, the rubbers seals had cracked and totally split in parts

• Member Contributer

I just did a total carb clean and refurbish on an inline 4. Take lots of photos as you go and keep the service manual and parts diagram handy. You need a decent uncluttered work space, some plastic containers, resealable  pastic bags, tape and a marker pen. And your phone camera.

Number the carb bodies and keep the pieces for each carb together.

Some carbs use O rings (looks like these do)to seal the fuel junctions others use a rubber collar. Gasolene tolerant O rings are cheap and easy to get at any bearing shop. You do not need to disassemble each carb to replace those seals you just need to separate the carbs from the cluster (Three long bolts and some ali spacers). Take note of how the throttle cams interface with each other and where the tabs sit relative to the springs and set screws.

You can download the manual from this site. Take lots of pics so you know how things look before you take things apart. You don't have to take the carbs completely apart to replace all the o rings on the fuel tubes. You can undo the three nuts #48 in the parts diagram that hold the carbs together. Just take off one nut on each connecting rod so you can slide the connecting rod out. Then undo just one side of the Choke linkages and you should be able to split the carbs apart enough to pull the joiner fuel tubes out enough to get the old o-rings off and the new ones on. Be mindful of the springs that are in the throttle linkage as well, as they will come out , not a problem if you remember where they go and you don't loose them. Spend the time to study what you have to do and have a plan. Take lots of pics from different angles. You can't take too many pictures.

Thanks for all of you responses. I greatly appreciate it. 

Zarquon, I looked over the carburetors after you said it was only the three bolts that held everything together. Great advice! I was up until 2:30am this morning replacing the seals myself. My bike is now running and no leaks! Now once I get my front tire in the mail I will be good to go. 

There was one of the vacuum T's had NO seal whatsoever. When the bike ran last when I would get into the 6500-7000 RPM range and the bike would seem to lose power/torque. So i wonder if that would now be fixed. It seems to idle better and the even sounds better. I hope that fixed all my issues. Thanks again guys!   

• Member Contributer

A vac leak would be most noticable at lower RPM and start up.

Lack of power in that high mid range might be a sign of fuel or air starvation? When did you check/change your fuel filter(s) or perhaps air filter? My fuel filter was last done 19 years ago?!# its on my extensive to do list when next it starts raining and there is a space in the shed.

Archived