tube bars without a "kit"

timmythecop

20 minutes ago, Lorne said:

I'm guessing that it takes a mill or sturdy drill press to keep the drill but centred. In any case I was too chicken to give it a try.

Btw, that is a very tasty VFR you've made. I am a big fan of your work.

Thanks. I actually used a cordless drill. The bar is hollow, if you work up to the final size in small increments it goes quick and easy. 

A little fiddly, but not hard. the right throttlemeister mount was too big to fit inside the bars. I attached it to a drill mounted in a vice and slowly ground away just enough for a friction fit. gonna need a slide hammer to get it out. total investment - under a hundred bones.

20190127_143709.thumb.jpg.1c72218874eb63615cfd192d5fc79d4d.jpg20190127_143626.thumb.jpg.60c55b446b95f55773ef9d83c7812aeb.jpg20190127_143644.thumb.jpg.ac9d6ffb50d3cb1fff3c760484b7f7a0.jpg

I went with the bar kit from Wetbike Japan.  The only mods I had to do where to the master clutch & brake cylinder stops, so that the lines could be rotated slightly so as to not hit the fork tubes.  Doing this allows you to get the right setting for the clutch & brake levers, to suit your hands. The bars with that kit are shorter, but have a bend similar to the old super bike bars, and there are no clearance issues with the fairing.

They also make a police bike handlebar kit that includes longer throttle cables and a few other pieces. Their site is worth looking at.

14 hours ago, Lorne said:

Looks good. Did you need/chose to reroute any cables/hoses?

I had to take off the top triple tree so every thing could go where it wanted to go, but nothing major.