Just my luck. T-Rex no cut frame slider FAIL

Rollos

NYC is probably the ultimate bike protection proving ground. Getting out of my Manhattan office today and noticed that someone moved my bike. By moved I mean from vertical to horizontal and then back to vertical. Looks like the frame sliders I got from T-Rex don't protect. Time to shop for a new mid-fairing...

IMG_20190115_203215.jpg

IMG_20190115_203224.jpg

IMG_20190115_203235.jpg

• Member Contributer

I guess I'll cross those off the list of future purchases. Sorry it had to happen to you, though, mate. That sucks a fat one. 

Ouch - keep us posted, this is actually my next planned mod...    I know they will say, it would have been much worse without, but if no real advantage to having them, not sure if I will still buy.

On another note - I actually saw a guy back into, knock down, and then drive partially up the side of a bike outside a burger joint.   I pulled out my phone and recorded him lifting it back up and he got to the exit before I stepped in front and told him it was all on camera.   He said he was just going to go to the back of the restaurant, but this guy was bailing had I not caught him.   :)

• Member Contributer

That's heartbreaking Rollos and ya can't even blame yourself, some other prick did it for you. I just hope you might have insurance to cover the damage and repair, good luck hope your pride and joy is fully repaired ASAP.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Rollos said:

Here's a clearer picture. Bolt ripped in half. Pretty sure that's not supposed to happen.

IMG_20190116_165749.jpg

that is poor engineering

• Member Contributer

Is there any chance someone actually hit the bike with a car? Not knowing where it was parked I am just guessing. Interested though as I have a set of these fitted myself and am hoping that they will perform better than this in a simple falling over situation. Hope T-Rex come through for you though.

I've posted before that I've 'tested' these on gravel at 10-15mph and they worked exactly as you'd hope they would, I needed a new slider obviously but the mount didn't move at all (and there's only a couple of mm between it and the corner of the fairing, as you know). It'll be interesting to see whet T-Rex say about yours.

2017-07-14 damage_2.JPG

• Member Contributer

You can easily fix that fairing with plastic welding or ABS glue...but if you don't have bandwidth to tackle it...new fairing will do obviously.

Matt

• Member Contributer

That bike must have been hit with considerable force, mine has been knocked over and sustained as much damage as fatshoutybloke or less

None of the other available sliders would have faired any better, it saved your tank though 

Those mild steel bolts that have bent and stretched are the design fail point, as in they were designed to fail that way, the least damaging way

Put stainless in there and the heads will snap off, high tensile bolts would either snap or cause a much more destructive failure, like ripping the subframe threads out

Given the bike was knocked over how would you like the damage to 1/4 tonne of motorcycle to be?

As I said your tank was saved, no mention of damage to the crankcase cover, footpeg, etc ..OK the fairing panel is damaged, but that seems to be all

Looking at the puck I cannot see any damage to the outer face, when mine went down the puck looked like fats..

T-REX got back to me. They're issuing a refund on the kit. They also said they're pulling the kit from all platforms. So I'm going to look for another option or run without. 

I'm now looking at the GSG sliders from Germany. Looks like they're no cut as well but less to go wrong.

Screenshot_20190117-163546.png

• Member Contributer
On 1/17/2019 at 3:03 PM, Rollos said:

T-REX got back to me. They're issuing a refund on the kit. They also said they're pulling the kit from all platforms. So I'm going to look for another option or run without. 

I'm now looking at the GSG sliders from Germany. Looks like they're no cut as well but less to go wrong.

Where the heck does one buy them for a VFR/Interceptor?  The only place I found they were $295 a set.  No thank you on that price unless there's an open ended guarantee which there isn't.  

• Member Contributer
On 1/17/2019 at 10:03 PM, Rollos said:

I assisted member @huntinggunns who bought 2 sets from them. 1 was used in a tipover. Functioned well, only scuffing the replaceable end cap. Rather than charging, they just shipped a set. 

This was a few years ago, maybe they do ship to the US now direct. 

5 hours ago, mikeswe said:

Cant't you tell that's a bad design by just looking at it?

I recommend R&G Racing for crash protection.

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/Honda/VFR800F/2015/

Thanks,

I'll probably go with R&G. Too much uncertainty otherwise. Lost a bit of faith in T-Rex after this episode and noticed that they've changed designs at least three times. I'm thinking the older version might have held up a bit better.

Archived