New guy- vf750f rebuild

Estonez

If you have seen the thread "VF500 as a winter hack" which I started, the engine in that bike was from a parts bike. The compression readings for that engine were
1 180
3 160
2 130
4 100 
All in psi. all cold with engine on a bench, no carbs. Not great you might say and I will admit, sometimes it runs on three when cold and cylinder 4 takes a while to get going. However once it is warm it's absolutely fine and pulls really well. I could investigate, but there seems little point if it runs OK. 

So yes, for your engine, ideally they will be all around 150 psi but don't worry too much if they are not.

As seen fom the previous pictures the bike is very dirty, covered with oil and dust. I hate working with dirty stuff.

After taking the bike into pieces i had to clean and wash my tools for hours. 

Then i decided to take the frame and swingarm to local carwash to get rid of the mix of old oil and dust. Acctually every detail that came off from the bike needs a proper wash. Can't figure out where all this oil came from. I suspect the valve cover seals ant the seal behind the front sprocket. Need to change them also.

Before:

IMG-20190123-191746.jpg

After:

IMG-20190124-104642.jpg

• Member Contributer

Off-topic

Estonia is a nice country to ride a motorcycle 

IMAG4697.thumb.jpg.6f2ac339cecbbbb27c0f4271c3b0f7f5.jpg

Even spot a classic LADA

IMAG4683.thumb.jpg.ec4e7d877b88c9c114977f09535de17a.jpg.8cf0cd2ae5df66185cd77eaa1b1af33b.jpg

• Member Contributer
Just now, Estonez said:

Can't figure out where all this oil came from. I suspect the valve cover seals ant the seal behind the front sprocket.   

Or the  clutch push rod. If so, you either split the engine or dremel away the ridge on the outside and glue in a new seal. Mine is still holding after 20,000 km.

post-8974-0-33865100-1455535436.jpg.10d8ecc73e06e219ac6af08d334e81cd.jpg

• Member Contributer

CMSNL does not ship to the Baltics.

If they are the only source you can find for a critical part you must have I can help out.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i do not even know where to start.... 

I spent a whole day in garage cleaning parts. After that i had a chance to take a better look on parts. And the sad thing is that much of them are more or less damaged, worn out, rusted, bent, or cracked. The more i looked the more i realized its a parts bike i am trying to restore here. And its not reasonable.... Sometimes its much easier to live in a lie than to face the truth. But now when i have it, i must think what to do. I really started to like the bike......  

2 hours ago, Estonez said:

Well i do not even know where to start.... 

I spent a whole day in garage cleaning parts. After that i had a chance to take a better look on parts. And the sad thing is that much of them are more or less damaged, worn out, rusted, bent, or cracked. The more i looked the more i realized its a parts bike i am trying to restore here. And its not reasonable.... Sometimes its much easier to live in a lie than to face the truth. But now when i have it, i must think what to do. I really started to like the bike......  

I don't know how old you are, but knowing when to throw in the towel and not throw good money after bad is a mark of acquired wisdom.  Better to cut your losses and recoup your funds invested as best possible now.  

The first 5th Gen I bought was a roached bike that I suspect had seen many track days in it's 32k miles.   Thankfully I was able to sell it (honestly with full disclosure and accepting $100 less than the buyers offer) within 2 weeks for a small loss and 2 weeks later purchased a really nice one.   Live and learn. 

• Member Contributer

Reassemble it and gain the experience. Sell it as is and disclose the problems. 

In the future you now know not to buy a machine covered in oil and dirt.  Sometimes too good to be true applies. 

Not trying to rub salt into your wounds, honestly wishing you some good luck in your endeavor. 

Good luck!

Archived