Jump to content
TMFSR

LO-BEAM NOT WORKING

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

2005 VFR

7 days ago, I checked my headlamps and lo & hi beams were working.

 

Today, I replaced front brake pads.

I also removed rt & lt side fairings to perform a radiator flush.

I did not work on the h/lamp / front nose fairing.

This evening I started my bike to let my son listen to the V4 and no lo-beam.

Hi-beam, t/signals, horn etc all work.

 

I am wondering if anyone else experienced this kind of failure after

removing the side fairings.  I noticed that the harness for the switches is there.

I have a manual but before intense diagnostics I thought someone may have a simple check.

Thanks in advance.

TMFSR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given that your Hi Beam is operational. I would be suspicious of the Lo Beam Relay, assuming you definetly don't have two blown Lo beam filaments! The fact that you have Hi beam means fuses and headlight power are O.K. It may be just coincidence with your fairing removal, if you had say dislodged a plug, other functions would also not be working.

 

You can simply swap the Hi and Lo Beam Relays for fault finding, probably the first thing I'd try. Failing that you need to verify volts and grounds are correct at the Lo Beam Relay Base. Generally headlight issues are easy to find and don't require "intense diagnostics"! Nothing more than a multimeter might be required.

 

Oh yes forgot to mention!!! The cost of this advice!........You are required to post a picture of your 2005 VFR.:beer:

 

Good luck and keep us posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Grum said:

Given that your Hi Beam is operational. I would be suspicious of the Lo Beam Relay, assuming you definetly don't have two blown Lo beam filaments! The fact that you have Hi beam means fuses and headlight power are O.K. It may be just coincidence with your fairing removal, if you had say dislodged a plug, other functions would also not be working.

You can simply swap the Hi and Lo Beam Relays for fault finding, probably the first thing I'd try. Failing that you need to verify volts and grounds are correct at the Lo Beam Relay Base. Generally headlight issues are easy to find and don't require "intense diagnostics"! Nothing more than a multimeter might be required.

Oh yes forgot to mention!!! The cost of this advice!........You are required to post a picture of your 2005 VFR.:beer:

Good luck and keep us posted.

GRUM

Thanks for the insight.  2 headlamp filaments simultaneously?! I've seen stranger.  hahaha..  I am going after the relay first.  

Picture attached.  thanks again.  

IMG_7933.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice bike TMFSR,  same as my very first VFR, wonderful memories.

Let's know what you find with your headlight issues.

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Grum said:

Nice bike TMFSR,  same as my very first VFR, wonderful memories.

Let's know what you find with your headlight issues.

Cheers.

so appreciate the nod.  I will definitely let you / yall know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE:-:

Tested the voltage at each lo-beam h/lamp socket /plug

which had 12V.  SHORT ANSWER 

BOTH LOW BEAM BULBS WERE BURNED.  WOW.

Thanks to everyone who had input.

Had to test ride my cooling system flush and brake pads front & rear.

Photo on return to home.

 

IMG_8012.JPG

IMG_8013.JPG

IMG_8014.JPG

IMG_8021.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the update TMFSR. Glad you've seen the light! Yes stranger things can happen, at least it was a simple fix. Enjoy your ride.

Cheers.:beer:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grum said:

Thanks for the update TMFSR. Glad you've seen the light! Yes stranger things can happen, at least it was a simple fix. Enjoy your ride.

Cheers.:beer:

 

SURE THING!  Thanks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.