5th Gen and 6th Gen rear calipers...are they the same?

EX-XX

I'm looking to grab a spare rear caliper and refurb it, while the original is still on the bike. Can't find a resonably-priced 5th Gen one to save myself, but 6th gen ones are plentiful.

Are the 6th gen ones a simple bolt-on proposition for 5th gens?

• Member Contributer

I had all 3 (5th, 6th, 8th) when doing my brake system.  The 6th fits on the same slider bracket as the 5th and currently resides on my bike - however it is internally drilled for de-linkage.  The piston diameters of the 6th are different from the 5th, but I don't have the exact measurements at the moment.  Uses the same pads as the 5th gen.

Even if you have the 8th gen slider bracket, the 8th gen is not a simple bolt on.  If you aren't de-linking, the 8th isn't of interest anyway.

7 minutes ago, MadScientist said:

I had all 3 (5th, 6th, 8th) when doing my brake system.  The 6th fits on the same slider bracket as the 5th and currently resides on my bike - however it is internally drilled for de-linkage.  The piston diameters of the 6th are different from the 5th, but I don't have the exact measurements at the moment.  Uses the same pads as the 5th gen.

Even if you have the 8th gen slider bracket, the 8th gen is not a simple bolt on.  If you aren't de-linking, the 8th isn't of interest anyway.

My bike is already de-linked. Just using the OEM rear caliper (with an SP2 front-end on it, including brakes).

I'll be doing a major refurb on the bike later this year, and am already gathering parts for it. As part of that, I simply want to grab a compatible, bolt-in caliper, "go to town" on the thing, clean, paint and put aside, so that when I do the rest, it can simply be bolted up.

It sounds like you're saying the 6th Gen is a bolt-in proposition, which is what I was after.

• Member Contributer

Yes, but the piston sizes are different.  I don't believe there are any ABS-related differences, apart from colour.

RC46-I: 22.7 x 27.0 x 22.7

RC46-II: 25.4 x 25.4 x 25.4

Ciao,

JZH

Archived