Sign in to follow this  
Lorne

eliminating VTEC on 6th Gen

I don't recall anyone at VFRD experimenting with the VTEC system so as to force a 6th gen to operate all 16 valves all the time. Not even sure how to best accomplish this; monkey with the spool valve, or the slide pins, or ?

I've owned 5th and 6th gen and never noticed much difference in overall power. Sure, the transition to VTEC can be noticeable, but below and above that point both generations seemed equal.

Thoughts, anyone?

I've wondered this myself. I suspect the proper way to do this would be to modify the slide pin holder so the slide pins are always engaged with the valves irrespective of the spool valve operation.   Or go the whole hog and replace the VTEC valves with the standard valve plus standard bucket and shim. I presume this would then lead to a need to adjust the FI system to suit. Sounds like a black hole down which one could tip money...

Just thinking out loud, owners that have transplanted a 5th gen motor over have reported keeping the VTEC solenoid attached to the wiring harness to fool the ECU so it still thinks it's activating the VTEC.   Then I suppose it would require figuring out how the VTEC solenoid activates the 2nd set of valves - voltage applied or not.  If the former, maybe run a switched hot wire to the solenoid attached to the engine then to ground, forcing all 4 valves open all the time, then obtain a 2nd solenoid not attached to the engine to keep attached to the wiring harness to keep the ECU happy.  The only out of pocket would be the cost of the 2nd solenoid.  I may be off base on how the solenoid works, but AFAIK it's electrically actuated. 

Easiest way for me was dropping my 5th gen engine in my 6th gen frame. Now I get the beautiful gear whine, and the wonderful sound of dual underseat staintunes 😁

• Like 2

Is it not a better solution to get it remapped to smooth out the transition?

My friend Makota San was a previous Chief Engineer Honda R&D who
invented Honda's VTEC... he calls VTEC "his baby" and recalls his boss
being super skeptical of the idea working at all...  however for some

owners VTEC = Vacillating Torque Engine Compartment...

2013MakotoSanMrRC45_zps119ae64b.jpg

MakotaHRCTristan.jpg

Makota San also worked on the NR500 oval piston racer and he plans to
visit the Busy Little Shop some day because I have 2 cylinder blocks
off the NR500 that I packed out of Japan in 1981...

Makota San down on cannery row...
gallery_3131_5511_48694.jpg

VTEC.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. I have a hunch that VTEC is similar to eliminating gear-drive cams; they are solutions to a manufacturing problem that don't necessarily offer any benefit to the owner.

I don't particularly dislike VTEC, but am curious how well/badly a 6th gen would run with it disabled. Considering all the different mods folk have performed on their VFRs I am surprised that no one has monkeyed with the VTEC system.

To be clear, my biggest gripe with my 6th gen is the throttle response going from closed to slightly open. Secondarily, it's motor isn't as smooth as either of my 5th gens. Elsewise, I prefer the 6th gen - though I sorely miss my yellow '99.

14 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

My friend Makota San was a previous Chief Engineer Honda R&D who
invented Honda's VTEC... he calls VTEC "his baby" and recalls his boss
being super skeptical of the idea working at all...  however for some

owners VTEC = Vacillating Torque Engine Compartment...

2013MakotoSanMrRC45_zps119ae64b.jpg

MakotaHRCTristan.jpg

Makota San also worked on the NR500 oval piston racer and he plans to
visit the Busy Little Shop some day because I have 2 cylinder blocks
off the NR500 that I packed out of Japan in 1981...

Makota San down on cannery row...
gallery_3131_5511_48694.jpg

VTEC.jpg

I visited the NR500 at the Honda Collection Hall at Motegi a few months back. They were very bold trying that.

P1010761.JPG

P1010763.JPG

P1010764.JPG

P1010765.JPG

Interested to see how this works for owners, but as a street bike why would you give up the best of both worlds situation?

4 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

Interested to see how this works for owners, but as a street bike why would you give up the best of both worlds situation?

That assumes facts not in evidence 😉. It remains unproven whether or not VTEC, as fitted to the VFR800, makes it better for the rider than the 5th gen. Would be interesting to see just how a de-VTEC'd 6th gen would run.