Battery: YTZ14s vs YTZ12s?

VFR80025th

If anybody has a YTZ14s on their VFR800 VTEC.

Does it visibly turn over the VFR quicker than the 12s.

Just about to order a new battery for spring.

There is not much difference in price.

Thxs

• Member Contributer

The 12 will supply more amperage than the starter can draw, so using a 14 confers no advantage.  For my $.02, buying the best quality battery I can get goes further than buying one with higher CCA.  I got my Yuasa YTZ12 on Amazon for a ridiculously good price (I don't know how AMZN does it)  and it's never let me down.  The link has some interesting reading on batteries.  YMMV

https://batteryuniversity.com/

• Member Contributer

Yuasa technical manual states.

"For example, a battery with a CCA rating of 270 will start a large displacement engine under most conditions. A battery with a rating of 310 CCA, and used in the same application, would start the engine more reliably especially in cold weather."

So I guess if the 14S is virtually the same price it could be the better option especially for cold weather starting. The 14S is the recommended battery for the VFR1200. Both are excellent quality AGM batteries (Yuasa brand).

14S=230 CCA's 12S=210 CCA's

I've certainly had the Yuasa 14S in the back of my mind when my 8gen battery needs replacement, but price will be a factor in choosing between the 12S and 14S.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

I have a 14 and feel that the additional CCA have provided some cold starting benefit. Mostly only when it's really cold, I think.

• Member Contributer

Just for info - Talking to a friend yesterday who has a 2008 6gen, still has the original Yuasa YTZ12S and going strong. Not bad for an 11 year old battery!

Cheers.

Archived