Fi cold starting

Chriswizz

Just got a lovely red 99 fi with only 26k miles. Went to start it from cold gave it full choke no throttle and wouldn’t start (my vfr750 fl starts first time like this) so backed of the choke bit by bit a tried each time eventually at about third choke it started is this normal or does something need to be adjust thanks in advance for your feedback 

• Member Contributer

Are you hearing the fuel pump prime every time the ignition is turned On. Also, what fuel is in the tank? Premium high octane fuel can create issues starting, especially in very cold conditions as it is less volatile than standard fuel. VFR's don't need Premium fuel.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Grum said:

Premium high octane fuel can create issues starting, especially in very cold conditions as it is less volatile than standard fuel. VFR's don't need Premium fuel.

Absolutely true. Cold starting in cold temperatures with premium fuel is significantly more difficult for my '02

I don’t know what sort a fuel is in the tank because it was already in there when I got the bike I will normal unleaded in when I fill it up. Thanks for the tip. Rode it for the firytime today and wow what a difference from my fl feels do light in comparison however I think the fl sounds better 

I don’t know what sort a fuel is in the tank because it was already in there when I got the bike I will use normal unleaded when I fill it up. Thanks for the tip. Rode it for the firytime today and wow what a difference from my FL feels light in comparison however I think the FL sounds better 

• Member Contributer

If new fuel doesn't fix your cold start dificulty. Perhaps the starter valves need to be synchronized? This will also help idle smoothness. The workshop manual will tell you how to do this.

My gen5 2000 model (which does not have a manual choke) usually needs a couple of 2 to 3 second cranks with the starter before it comes to life for the first time each day. I checked the valve clearances at 39000km and they were still in spec.

I guess you already know that a battery volt meter is a good idea on these bikes.

Enjoy.

Archived