New guy. help needed

geordie

I've recently returned from a 3000km road trip on my 2000 5g. on the way home I encountered a problem. The bike kept cutting out like it was being starved of fuel, the FI light would also blink and come on at the same time. I had to keep turning the ignition off and back on to clear the problem although it would return intermittently.

I've checked the diagnostic plug and have a blink sequence, unfortunately, the sequence is a little confusing without a manual. I've seen the blink sequence chart to ID the issue but would like some advice from more knowledgeable people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S5EB7xfXwU

Hi, check the alternator stator connections, search for lots of helpful info:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vfr+alternator+stator+wiring

It could also be battery connections.  If you wire in a voltmeter and reproduce the problem you might see the voltage cutting out.  You can download a manual from this site also.

Cheers,

-Joel.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum from The Land Of Interesting Weather. You've come to the right place for information and problem solving. Once you get past all the lies, distorsions, and bovine droppings. :laugh:

We here in the forum ask that you post a pic of your machine to prove you are not a figment of our imagination.

• Member Contributer
Just now, geordie said:

I will check the wiring today, I wondered what you guys thought of the blink sequence looked like multiple error codes to me.

here's a pic of the beast. 

vfr800fi 5th gen 1.jpg

Wow! A beautiful example. You've obviously have great taste in mc's.

Good luck sorting your issues.

• Member Contributer

Hi Geordie.

Your Fi light is showing multiple sensor failures as well as all 4 injectors failing. This to me is a major Ground issue OR a major Power loss most likely the BL/W main power wire for the ECM and Injectors etc.(check the wiring diagram)

I think the key here is you say "Turning the Ignition Off then On again clears the problem" and gets the bike back to running. This is a classic symptom of an intermittent BAS (Bank Angle Sensor or Engine Stop Sensor) which de-energises the Engine Stop Relay killing main power via the BL/W wire to the ECM and Injectors etc. A similar effect could be caused by a faulty Engine Stop Switch (Kill Switch) however cycling the Ignition Switch would have no effect. A faulty/intermittent Engine Stop Relay could also be on the cards (you could isolate the Engine Stop Relay by swapping it with your Hi Beam Relay)

For fault finding you can temporarily by-pass the BAS by providing a Ground link to the Engine Stop Relay coil, which is what the BAS is providing to keep it energised. REMEMBER riding without the BAS means if you drop the bike the engine will continue to run - a dangerous situation. If the bike runs normally then you can assume a faulty BAS.

This is probably the first thing I would try. It's a bit of a step by step situation.

Keep us posted.

Good Luck.

Cheers:beer:

Got the manual thanks.

Bad connection to the fuel pump. tested and now is working properly.

Thanks for the help.

Just the slave cylinder to replace now as it needs bleeding if I leave it on the side stand overnight.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, geordie said:

That's a good find. Surprised that turning the ignition off then on again would effect that kind of fault! Make sure you clear all your Fi fault codes as it is also strange you would have accumulated so many codes with just a bad fuel pump connection.

Good luck.

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, geordie said:

Got the manual thanks.

Thanks for the help.

Just the slave cylinder to replace now as it needs bleeding if I leave it on the side stand overnight.

Halle fricken' lujah! Has the culprit finally been revealed?!

• Member Contributer
On 1/4/2019 at 5:16 PM, geordie said:

I will check the wiring today, I wondered what you guys thought of the blink sequence looked like multiple error codes to me.

here's a pic of the beast. 

vfr800fi 5th gen 1.jpg

+1 to the above - nice 5th gen example.  Those headers look suspiciously aftermarket . . . Are you able to tell us anything about them - manufacturer, etc? 

I'm not sure about the headers to be honest, I assumed they were stock. never really paid them much attention.  id guess the only way to check would be to measure the diameter of the pipe.  I'm not taking the plastics off again they've been off and on more than whores draws recently. 

watch this space I guess. 

I won't be using the bike for the next month so I will let you all know later on after I've given it a good run. 

• Member Contributer

Which market was the bike built for?  That's a Two Brothers Racing end can, so I think the peanut gallery is wondering if you've got a TBR full system on there, too...

Ciao,

Archived