Practicle Sportsbikes Magazine 10 best engines

• Member Contributer

The Dec. issue of Practical  Sportsbikes Magazine has an article on the 10 best engines from 1970 to the early 90's

Honda was well represented with

#10 CBR900RR 

#8 CBX1000

#2 VFR750F

https://www.practicalsportsbikesmag.co.uk/magazine-issues/december-2018

Thought it would be of interest as I consider it to be the best motorcycle magazine out there. Hard to find in the US, but some Barnes and Nobles do carry them.

img002.jpg

• Member Contributer

Great find - thanks for posting.  I'd love to see the 5th gen cutaway in person - that would look awesome in anyone's collection or in a museum. 

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Great find - thanks for posting.  I'd love to see the 5th gen cutaway in person - that would look awesome in anyone's collection or in a museum. 

+1.

But we all knew they were special before. :wheel:

The magazine is quite proud of their product; a US paper subscription is $92.48. Even the digital edition is pricy at $45. 

• Member Contributer

Maxswell:

Yes, they are a quite expensive subscription here in the States. I pick them up occasionally if I can find it and I see something interesting. They are $10.25 an issue here.

when I was living in the UK in 2015 I had a subscription, and it wasn't to bad, around 30 pounds a year. But I gave it up when our refit on the ship was finished and we headed out, I wasn't going to pay the overseas rate.

I had another subscription to a UK motorcycle magazine, and 2 months in I got a letter saying that from the next issue forward they were going to be digital only. I tried it, but to be honest having to have reliable internet connection or use your data on your phone, which is expensive in the UK wasn't really my cup of tea. Have you ever tried reading a magazine on a phone? Its a joke. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, FromMaine said:

Maxswell:

Yes, they are a quite expensive subscription here in the States. I pick them up occasionally if I can find it and I see something interesting. They are $10.25 an issue here.

when I was living in the UK in 2015 I had a subscription, and it wasn't to bad, around 30 pounds a year. But I gave it up when our refit on the ship was finished and we headed out, I wasn't going to pay the overseas rate.

I had another subscription to a UK motorcycle magazine, and 2 months in I got a letter saying that from the next issue forward they were going to be digital only. I tried it, but to be honest having to have reliable internet connection or use your data on your phone, which is expensive in the UK wasn't really my cup of tea. Have you ever tried reading a magazine on a phone? Its a joke. 

I can, luckly, only imagine. I've chosen not to be able to afford a smart phone. I have a prepay for emergencies on the road only. From friends I can see how great the instant information is, but there are a enough privacy and financial concerns, it's  not worth it. 

15 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

I can, luckly, only imagine. I've chosen not to be able to afford a smart phone. I have a prepay for emergencies on the road only. From friends I can see how great the instant information is, but there are a enough privacy and financial concerns, it's  not worth it. 

not much to do up in minnie-soda, eh, but cribbage,  ice fishin,  wisky and warmin up by the fire ? 

no fun unless you have winter resto project to finish.

• Member Contributer
On 1/3/2019 at 2:57 PM, FromMaine said:

The Dec. issue of Practical  Sportsbikes Magazine has an article on the 10 best engines from 1970 to the early 90's

Honda was well represented with

#10 CBR900RR 

#8 CBX1000

#2 VFR750F

https://www.practicalsportsbikesmag.co.uk/magazine-issues/december-2018

Thought it would be of interest as I consider it to be the best motorcycle magazine out there. Hard to find in the US, but some Barnes and Nobles do carry them.

img002.jpg

Now that I think more about it, I'm kind of surprised that the XX (Blackbird) motor didn't make the list.  Owners seem to rave about how ultra smooth and refined they are. 

• Member Contributer

I buy Street Rodder over here in the UK and I also buy the digital version (in case I miss a print issue) and it expensive to get a subscription especially when you see how cheap the US subs can be it looks like they are practically giving them away at those prices also noticed it with Hot Rod magazine, but reading any magazine on my MacBook is a crappy experience in my opinion, much nicer to have the 'real' thing in your hand (ooo er matron)

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, scottbott said:

I buy Street Rodder over here in the UK and I also buy the digital version (in case I miss a print issue) and it expensive to get a subscription especially when you see how cheap the US subs can be it looks like they are practically giving them away at those prices also noticed it with Hot Rod magazine, but reading any magazine on my MacBook is a crappy experience in my opinion, much nicer to have the 'real' thing in your hand (ooo er matron)

I was based in Falmouth while working there, and I have to say I was impressed with the sheer number of different motorcycle magazines and magazines in general in England. I would stop in at Waterstones once a week to peruse any new offerings. You also have a weekly Motorcycle newspaper! MCN (Motor Cycle News) I had a standing order for a weekly copy there also.

Parking for Motorcycles in Council lots is free, which is enlightened to say the least. When I stayed in Salsibury, Exeter, and some of the other bigger Cities and there was no parking close by, I just stuck the motorcycle on the sidewalk next to the hotel, and out of the way and no one ever bothered me.

Crossing the Tamar Bridge  early one Sat, morning I stopped at the toll booth and , took my gloves off and started to open my tank bag to grab a fiver. The Toll collector leaned out and asked "where are you from sorrr." "America" I replied, but hey, I had an English plate. "why do you ask",  "motorcycles aren't required to pay a toll sorrr". Since there was no traffic behind me we proceeded to have a nice chat.

Filtering or lane splitting as we call it, is accepted and done well in England. I worked in Calf a few years back and quickly bought a bike to get around on as there was no way I was sitting in S. Cal traffic, so I was familiar with it. In England though I found drivers to be more aware and courteous. Filter up to the head of the line at a traffic light and without exception the drivers around you would let you get clear before they pulled out.

The UK has got a lot of things right about Motorcycling that will never be implemented here unfortunately, I truly enjoyed the experience and would do it again in a heartbeat.

If I have one thing to critique, it would be speed cameras, they are pretty much everywhere. I had a vague understanding of them, but it wasn't until one of the guys at the shipyard saw me go by up in Exeter that I got the full picture. He waited until I pulled into the motorcycle lot on Monday am and gave me a full understanding of the difference between speed cameras and average speed cameras. Since my registration address was one I  had to move out of 2 weeks after I got the bike on the road I had to gently ask the crewmembers living there now if I had received any "official" looking mail...…….for the next 7 months. I mean really, if you want to hand out tickets, put a cop on the road.  :) 

• Member Contributer

The CBX1000 has beautiful exhaust music second only to the VFR. Worked for a Honda dealer in the 80"s we were one of the few dealers in our area with a dyno. Our owner (Ron Turner) was heavy into drag racing so we had everything we needed to make fast motorcycles. The CBX with a set of headers running through the gears on the dyno put a grin on my face every time.Pulling the carbs to jet them and synchronize was a PITA had to remove upper motor mount and tilt engine forward to gain access motor.  There was one salesman that raced a CBX  Saturday nights before a race on Sunday we would prerun his bike on a side road to make sure everything was all right God that was fun. Its a miracle we did not get arrested. Amazing what stupid crap you get away with when your young and dumb. 

• Member Contributer
54 minutes ago, burnes45 said:

Amazing what stupid crap you get away with when your young and dumb. 

Survivability of the young and dump is truly one of the mysteries of the universe. And I can dig it. If it were not for that mystery I'd never have made it to 25 years old let alone 70.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, burnes45 said:

The CBX1000 has beautiful exhaust music second only to the VFR. Worked for a Honda dealer in the 80"s we were one of the few dealers in our area with a dyno. Our owner (Ron Turner) was heavy into drag racing so we had everything we needed to make fast motorcycles. The CBX with a set of headers running through the gears on the dyno put a grin on my face every time.Pulling the carbs to jet them and synchronize was a PITA had to remove upper motor mount and tilt engine forward to gain access motor.  There was one salesman that raced a CBX  Saturday nights before a race on Sunday we would prerun his bike on a side road to make sure everything was all right God that was fun. Its a miracle we did not get arrested. Amazing what stupid crap you get away with when your young and dumb. 

I worked part-time at a Honda dealer in the mid 80's and we got to use a CBX1000 as a shop hack to get around on. I had no idea what a special machine I was riding. Young and dumb indeed. Now older but still dumb. 

• Member Contributer

What was number one on the list? I owned a CBX and agree it was an amazing sounding motorcycle, it was also the smoothest bike I have ever ridden. It was probably better suited to colder climates, on a 38deg day the heat on your legs from the engine was painful. All the same I wish I still had it🤬CE33D658-01FE-4DF1-B56D-D2A0E48255A0.thumb.jpeg.bcdaa9d00c352fbc242654283216a85b.jpeg

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Philois1984 said:

What was number one on the list? I owned a CBX and agree it was an amazing sounding motorcycle, it was also the smoothest bike I have ever ridden. It was probably better suited to colder climates, on a 38deg day the heat on your legs from the engine was painful. All the same I wish I still had it🤬CE33D658-01FE-4DF1-B56D-D2A0E48255A0.thumb.jpeg.bcdaa9d00c352fbc242654283216a85b.jpeg

For the record.

#10 Honda CBR900RR

#9 Suzuki RGV250

#8 Honda CBX1000

#7 Suzuki RG500

#6  Suzuki GSX1100

#5 Yamaha FZ750

#4 Yamaha RD350 YPVS

#3 Ducati 851

#2 Honda VFR750F

#1 Kawasaki Z1

Great Photo!

• Member Contributer

went to the Newark classic bike show (UK) today and the CBX owners club ( I think they were) had a stand there and there were about half a dozen there from standard to what looked like a Spondon framed bike all very nice, one of the standard ones had engine crash bars on it it was hugely wide

• Member Contributer
On 1/5/2019 at 10:34 PM, FromMaine said:

I was based in Falmouth while working there, and I have to say I was impressed with the sheer number of different motorcycle magazines and magazines in general in England. I would stop in at Waterstones once a week to peruse any new offerings. You also have a weekly Motorcycle newspaper! MCN (Motor Cycle News) I had a standing order for a weekly copy there also.

Rather than a full thread-deviation, I'll just point out that ten, maybe 15 years ago there were at least half a dozen more motorbike magazines in the UK.  Bike, FastBikes, Performance Bikes and SuperBike were the biggies, along with RiDE, Motor Cycle International and a bunch of more esoteric offerings (Practical Sportsbikes being one of these).  Coincidentally, I am currently wearing my (unofficial) GreyBike Magazine t-shirt (a gift from Rick Oliver)...

But, there used to be a few more in the USA as well.  Times change.  

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, FromMaine said:

For the record.

#10 Honda CBR900RR

#9 Suzuki RGV250

#8 Honda CBX1000

#7 Suzuki RG500

#6  Suzuki GSX1100

#5 Yamaha FZ750

#4 Yamaha RD350 YPVS

#3 Ducati 851

#2 Honda VFR750F

#1 Kawasaki Z1

Great Photo!

All ways had a love of the RD's had a 77 RD400 as my 1st real street bike. Lusted after the Kenny Roberts special when it came out. Still one of my favorite paint schemes on a motorcycle.   

• Member Contributer

That makes me smile, I have had 2 of the top 10, (3 if you count an eighth gen VFR, I know..... it doesn’t have gear driven cams)

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, JZH said:

Rather than a full thread-deviation, I'll just point out that ten, maybe 15 years ago there were at least half a dozen more motorbike magazines in the UK.  Bike, FastBikes, Performance Bikes and SuperBike were the biggies, along with RiDE, Motor Cycle International and a bunch of more esoteric offerings (Practical Sportsbikes being one of these).  Coincidentally, I am currently wearing my (unofficial) GreyBike Magazine t-shirt (a gift from Rick Oliver)...

But, there used to be a few more in the USA as well.  Times change.  

Ciao,

JZH

Fast Bikes, Ride and Performance bikes are all still around, though ironically the later is merging with Practical  Sports Bikes next month. SuperBike is also around in digital format (that I think  was the one I had in the UK that went digital right after I subscribed). 

https://www.fastbikesmag.com/

https://www.ride.co.uk/

https://www.performancebikes.co.uk/

https://www.superbike.co.uk/

I used to love Fast Bikes when it was still an independant mag. You know they test bikes to the limit when a journo goes on to ride BSB.

• Member Contributer
On 1/5/2019 at 10:34 PM, FromMaine said:

Parking for Motorcycles in Council lots is free, which is enlightened to say the least. When I stayed in Salsibury, Exeter, and some of the other bigger Cities and there was no parking close by, I just stuck the motorcycle on the sidewalk next to the hotel, and out of the way and no one ever bothered me.

Crossing the Tamar Bridge  early one Sat, morning I stopped at the toll booth and , took my gloves off and started to open my tank bag to grab a fiver. The Toll collector leaned out and asked "where are you from sorrr." "America" I replied, but hey, I had an English plate. "why do you ask",  "motorcycles aren't required to pay a toll sorrr". Since there was no traffic behind me we proceeded to have a nice chat.

Filtering or lane splitting as we call it, is accepted and done well in England. I worked in Calf a few years back and quickly bought a bike to get around on as there was no way I was sitting in S. Cal traffic, so I was familiar with it. In England though I found drivers to be more aware and courteous. Filter up to the head of the line at a traffic light and without exception the drivers around you would let you get clear before they pulled out.

The UK has got a lot of things right about Motorcycling that will never be implemented here unfortunately, I truly enjoyed the experience and would do it again in a heartbeat.

If I have one thing to critique, it would be speed cameras, they are pretty much everywhere. I had a vague understanding of them, but it wasn't until one of the guys at the shipyard saw me go by up in Exeter that I got the full picture. He waited until I pulled into the motorcycle lot on Monday am and gave me a full understanding of the difference between speed cameras and average speed cameras. Since my registration address was one I  had to move out of 2 weeks after I got the bike on the road I had to gently ask the crewmembers living there now if I had received any "official" looking mail...…….for the next 7 months. I mean really, if you want to hand out tickets, put a cop on the road.  🙂 

Your worry was wasted, if you do not receive the ticket within 14 days of the "offence" you can tell them to spin.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, keef said:

I used to love Fast Bikes when it was still an independant mag. You know they test bikes to the limit when a journo goes on to ride BSB.

By "ride BSB", of course, you mean the six-time BSB champion, WSB race winner and sometime MotoGP competitor, Shane "Shakey" Byrne... :smile:

Not sure what he's going to be doing next year (after suffering serious head and neck injuries last season), but he's also a very good "colour commentator" on British Eurosport!

Re the ticket: traffic offences (including s.172 requests to name the driver) cannot be enforced outside of the UK, so if you got one just before you left (and won't be coming back), you could simply ignore it.  However, if you wanted to be responsible about it, you could write to the police who issued the ticket and politely inform them that you had permanently left the country.  There is also the "14-day rule", but that only applies if the name and address of the Registered Keeper for the vehicle is reflected accurately on the DVLA database.  Once the police query the database and send the initial notice to that person, the 14-day rule is complied with.  The police very rarely miss the 14-day window these days anyway.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Egg on Leggs said:

Your worry was wasted, if you do not receive the ticket within 14 days of the "offence" you can tell them to spin.

Thanks mate, I'll keep that in the noggin for next time. That little tidbit of info was never conveyed to me during my stay in the UK.

9 hours ago, JZH said:

By "ride BSB", of course, you mean the six-time BSB champion, WSB race winner and sometime MotoGP competitor, Shane "Shakey" Byrne... :smile:

Not sure what he's going to be doing next year (after suffering serious head and neck injuries 

Ciao,

JZH

Yes, i miss the days of shakey, frosty bollox and jimmi miller, motorcycle killer.

Sorry to hear about shakey. 

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, JZH said:

Re the ticket: traffic offences (including s.172 requests to name the driver) cannot be enforced outside of the UK, so if you got one just before you left (and won't be coming back), you could simply ignore it.  However, if you wanted to be responsible about it, you could write to the police who issued the ticket and politely inform them that you had permanently left the country.  There is also the "14-day rule", but that only applies if the name and address of the Registered Keeper for the vehicle is reflected accurately on the DVLA database.  Once the police query the database and send the initial notice to that person, the 14-day rule is complied with.  The police very rarely miss the 14-day window these days anyway.

Ciao,

JZH

JZH:

Many thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I am in the UK on a regular basis for work and occasionally for personal reasons. In fact I'm due to be there in late March as I have to renew some paperwork with the MCA (Maritime Coast Guard Agency). If time permits I'll stop in and see some friends and co-workers on the South Coast and definitely try and plan to be in London on the weekend so I can stop in at Ace Café for a mug of tea and some bike talk.

Archived