LED Brake / Tail Light Bulb Replacement

• Member Contributer

Has anyone found an LED replacement for the 1157 bulbs that are actually brighter?  How about one with the built-in brake strobe?

I purchased one brand and found that the tail and brake light contacts were reversed such that turning the key to ON results in the strobe and then a nice bright steady light....no tail light at all.  So they went back.

Thought I would ask if someone found a brand / source of ones that actually work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075G4MDSM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just got these for my father's 5th gen.  I have the 7443 version in my 6th gen.  I have been extremely pleased with them thus far!  The strobe function works perfectly, lights are very bright as well.  

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, SlickWeevil said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075G4MDSM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just got these for my father's 5th gen.  I have the 7443 version in my 6th gen.  I have been extremely pleased with them thus far!  The strobe function works perfectly, lights are very bright as well.  

Looking at 2001 VFR800 fiche, the tail light bulbs ( BULB, WEDGE BASE (12V 21/5W ECE) ) have a wedge shape that looks nothing like the bulbs in the amazon link.

What gives?

• Member Contributer

SlickWeevil: is there a lot of difference between the brightness of the tail light and the brake light?  I watched the video in the Amazon link and it does not spend much time showing the tail light...it is all brake strobe function.

I want one that there is a significant difference between the two.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

SlickWeevil: hey I received the pair of LED bulbs from Amazon, got them installed right away and YES!!…..nice and bright, strobe works well, although I wish the strobe function lasted longer.  A huge improvement over the OEM 1157 bulbs, especially in heat!!

coupedupsbie: a bit confused by your reply above; you installed switchback bulbs?....in the rear?...but the turn signal indicators are separate from the tail / brake light....or did you mod the wiring such that the turn signals become brake lights as well?  That would be awesome....three brake lights.....that should be visible to almost everyone...

5 hours ago, Lannyl81 said:

coupedupsbie: a bit confused by your reply above; you installed switchback bulbs?....in the rear?...but the turn signal indicators are separate from the tail / brake light....or did you mod the wiring such that the turn signals become brake lights as well?  That would be awesome....three brake lights.....that should be visible to almost everyone...

I used LED bulbs from Diode Dynamics in my front signals. I meant to add that Diode Dynamics offers great bulbs, that are plenty bright. My rear turn signals and brake light are by Thurn Motorsports and have an LED board in them so I can't change them.

• Member Contributer

Ok got it....made sense after I re-read your posting.  Somehow I got the idea that you installed switchback LEDs in the rear signals.

So the Thurn clear rear turn signals have an LED board in them; not an 1157 LED "bulb"....is that correct?

The front Thurn clear turn signals do have an 1157 LED "bulb", correct?  I like this idea of having additional white running lights but then switches to amber when turn signal is activated.  This is how my car works.

Now if the Thurn rear signals used an 1156 bulb it might be possible to remove the 1156 socket, replace with a 1157 socket and then mod the wiring to have both rear turn signals become additional brake lights if a dual color red/amber LED 1157 "bulb" is available.  Would just need to figure-out how to have the turn signal flashing when the brakes are on so that both amber and red are not trying to be on at the same time....that would not look very good.

Thanks

12 hours ago, Lannyl81 said:

So the Thurn clear rear turn signals have an LED board in them; not an 1157 LED "bulb"....is that correct?

The front Thurn clear turn signals do have an 1157 LED "bulb", correct? 

I double checked the Thurn website, it looks like the rear signals now have bulbs instead of boards. A quick email can find out the actual details. If true that would make your idea possible, and not all that hard. The front signal bulb holders(1157 style) should fit the rear signal housings. I would buy a 3 wire connector and replace the harness side 2 wire connector to add a jumper to the brake signal wire on the brake light harness. 

The front signals come with yellow 1156 bulbs, due to being produced in Europe where front facing amber running lights are illegal in many countries. I bought switchback 1157 bulbs, so it works like many modern cars.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

coupedupsibie: I did send Thurn an email asking about the rear turn signals; got a reply back that they use LED boards, not bulbs...so my idea will not work.

I like what you did with the front signals though and I think I will do the same.

Archived