New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer
On 4/27/2023 at 2:39 AM, gropula said:

Regarding the gaskets that go between the primaries and the cylinder head - delkevic is out of stock again. I tried finding an alternative. These will fit with some grinding EBAY LINK. They measured around 42.2mm OD so I used an angle grinder to narrow them down. It's possible to do so because they're not hollow like some other gaskets, they have material all the way through. They seal nicely and don't inhibit exhaust flow on my motad(ish) headers.

What OD did you trim them down to in order to fit?

I've used these on my RC24 & RC26 and they fit perfectly.

Expands to about 41mm when crushed.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256805023890622.html

Looks like 800 also uses 40mm gasket

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195539730170

I was just grinding until they fit. The flanges that hold the studs protrude slightly so I ground off more where they interfere, making the gasket somewhat oval. 

Those 40 mm OD gaskets have 32 mm ID, and about 30 mm ID when crushed. Way to small for aftermarket headers. These ones from CB600F/FJS400 have 34 ID and probably don't crush as much because they're not hollow. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/23/2023 at 9:30 AM, Oregonian said:

I just sent my deposit.

I saw a set of these in the flesh at EDR Performance in Beaverton Oregon.  They will be doing the install and tune for me.  They have done multiple sets and report great results and happy owners. 

Yeah great results that Eric isn’t willing to share 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Some eye candy encouragement for potential buyers... 8th gen set on my supercharged 6th gen...

large.20220508_205433.jpg.608bb999b9f63a

Up for sale? Why oh why sell a labour of love like that?

What price can you put on so much effort and beautifulnessssss?

Seriously out with it, how much 🤔?

• Member Contributer
26 minutes ago, Bren said:

Up for sale? Why oh why sell a labour of love like that?

What price can you put on so much effort and beautifulnessssss?

Seriously out with it, how much 🤔?

This is the exhaust thread.  He's talking about eye candy encouragement for people considering getting in on the next run of exhausts.

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, Captain 80s said:

This is the exhaust thread.  He's talking about eye candy encouragement for people considering getting in on the next run of exhausts.

My bad. Sorry to derail 😇

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

VFRD/WiLD header group buy timing not good!  Fingers crossed...

Ciaom,

JZH

So I am interested for a 6th gen header, I rarely come here but curious whether their is someone I can email to ask questions before committing? A guy came on one of the fb groups awhile back and mentioned them so I did some searching and got here.

• Member Contributer
On 6/9/2023 at 9:18 AM, pnut1236 said:

So I am interested for a 6th gen header, I rarely come here but curious whether their is someone I can email to ask questions before committing? A guy came on one of the fb groups awhile back and mentioned them so I did some searching and got here.

You can send me and/or fellow member sfdownhill a PM. We are the two members involved in getting these to production. SF did most of the work finding and getting them made, my main support comes from my past life as a shipping/receiving clerk, I'm the guy who gets them out to you good folks.

• Member Contributer
On 6/5/2023 at 3:22 PM, vfrcapn said:

Any idea how close? Coming up on 5 months since deposit was sent....  

:lurk:

Really close but Wade is adamant about meeting the minimum order before moving forward. That said, I need to check in with SF and see what else we might be able to do to speed things up. We'll keep you posted.

Hey all,

I stumbled upon this thread while searching for Power Commander information. 
Obviously these $1k headers are worth it to a dozen or so of you die hards, but what is it exactly that you're getting by installing these? What are the tangible gains? 
I finally got my dream slip ons, the Lasers. Would these headers, and a PC make a worthwhile improvement in performance? What will the headers do to the sound? OEM headers and Lasers sound dreamy to me, throaty and quiet, I don't want it much louder.

How many more buyers do you need?

How important is a dyno tune with header and PC? Dynos are seemingly nonexistent in remote MT.

Thanks in advance!

E93DB1E0-B9C4-461A-8A89-76F45528AA44.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Once you switch to a full aftermarket exhaust system and get it tuned properly, you'll never go back.  And you'll immediately modify all your future bikes in the same way.  Nothing else will ever make a bike run so smoothly and sound so pure.  

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Tyjamo said:

Hey all,

I stumbled upon this thread while searching for Power Commander information. 
Obviously these $1k headers are worth it to a dozen or so of you die hards, but what is it exactly that you're getting by installing these? What are the tangible gains? 
I finally got my dream slip ons, the Lasers. Would these headers, and a PC make a worthwhile improvement in performance? What will the headers do to the sound? OEM headers and Lasers sound dreamy to me, throaty and quiet, I don't want it much louder.

How many more buyers do you need?

How important is a dyno tune with header and PC? Dynos are seemingly nonexistent in remote MT.

Thanks in advance!

E93DB1E0-B9C4-461A-8A89-76F45528AA44.jpeg

I believe that we are 4 orders short of the minimum. As for the gains, as some said already, more HP. I have a set on both my VFRs, an 01 and an 09 (5 Gen and 6 Gen). There is also a weight reduction, although the weight drop for 5 Gens without the catalytic converter is a few pounds difference but you'll lose a little bit more for the 6 Gen, due to the loss of the catalytic converter.

If Dyno tuning is your concern, for both the Power Commander and the Rapid Bike tuning modules, you can use their "Auto Tune" feature. Essentially you use their software and setup your "targets" and let the auto tune do it's job. That's how I have both of mine running. There's also the possibility that someone has a map that they uploaded to this site and you can use that to get a baseline, but a proper Dyno tune is most likely going to be a preferred option after doing that, if going that route.

Another positive, being made of stainless steel, rust is not a big concern anymore. Ultimately, the header primary pipes are much larger and flow more than the stock pipes, especially for the 6 Gen bikes, as their headers are smaller diameter than the 5 Gens and are more "restrictive" due to the smaller pipes and catalytic converter.

Although I am part of the team that helped get these headers out to the VFR community, I'm also a buyer and user of them, and would not hesitate buying these, even if I was not involved with the project. In fact, I am buying another set this round too, they are a gift for a very good friend who just reported to me that he is now Cancer free.

As for the sound, I have 2Bros cans on both VFRs and the can is more relative to the sound than the headers, at least I feel that in my case. Here's a recent video I took of my 5 Gen last Sunday after doing some work on the throttle bodies and wax idle unit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

I knew I had the figures on header weight and found them after the last post.

OEM Headers with Catalytic converter: 13.94 lbs. (All 6 Gens, 00-01 5 Gens)

OEM Headers without Catalytic converter: 10.38 lbs. (98-99 5 Gens)

Our headers : 9.88 lbs.

So many pages! Didn't see it in the first post and apologies if I missed it - I'd be very curious to see a dyno of a 98-99 5th gen:

1) Stock, or with a slip-on

2) As above (for A-B comparison) with this header and a tune

• Member Contributer
25 minutes ago, timmoer said:

So many pages! Didn't see it in the first post and apologies if I missed it - I'd be very curious to see a dyno of a 98-99 5th gen:

1) Stock, or with a slip-on

2) As above (for A-B comparison) with this header and a tune

If I recall these came from some Dyno runs done by sfdownhill with his 5 Gen and a friends 6 Gen, and a fellow member who loaned his 8 Gen for some test runs. Unfortunately I don't think there are before/after, but I'd have to check with SF, as these were done right after the first production run. These are from 2019. The images I have say "comparison" but I don't remember the details, it was a while ago and before my brain surgery, so I do question my memory sometimes now.

This is the 5 Gen run.

Attack 5 gen midrange comparison 1 01 26  19.jpg

Attack 5 gen peak hp 1 01 26 19.jpg

• Like 2