New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer

Wow, give my best to Darryl - I hope his recovery is as fast as his riding! Lots of fun in the Sierras with all you guys!

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

@sfdownhill, to be clear we can go ahead with the deposit, or wait for your PM here on VFRD?

Yes, I was waiting too. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

Glad to hear Darryl is progressing as hoped.

Yes, my 7th gen was parked outside when you walked into the breakfast place in Kernville, ~2016. Why do I remember? Finally, another rider would be wearing an Aerostich! 

Apologies for hijacking...

Ah yes - representing the Aerostitch contingent (laughing). Good times!

15 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

@sfdownhill, to be clear we can go ahead with the deposit, or wait for your PM here on VFRD?

Yes vfrcapn - it’s perfectly fine to send a deposit with the requested information before I get the PMs sent.

vfrcapn and Ziffer have sent their deposits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

@sfdownhill - do you have any idea when these might start to ship?

Not trying to pressure you but I'm just trying to figure when I'm going to fit it and therefore when I need to source the other bits and pieces too. :beer:

• Member Contributer
On 2/12/2023 at 1:32 AM, Skids said:

do you have any idea when these might start to ship?

Not trying to pressure you but I'm just trying to figure when I'm going to fit it and therefore when I need to source the other bits and pieces too. :beer:

Hello gentlemen and Skids [Just kidding Skids...we reserve the right to have good-natured fun with members here]

Best news possible - at this very moment I'm on the phone with Duc2V4 and we are setting up the spreadsheet of deposits received and orders placed for headers. Duc is in great shape, sharp as ever, reviewing this thread and keeping the project on track.

At this time five people have sent deposits for new headers, and here they are. We'll keep this list updated as we received more deposits:

[1] RCNick51 [Possibly has username Motleyfan]

[2] A VFRD member whose actual name's initials are ZZ. We need your username to give you proper credit for your deposit - the note in your paypal transfer had almost all the info but we couldn't locate your username.

[3] VFRCAPN

[4] Skids

[5] CornPoweredV4 

Skids - to answer your question, it appears that we will have deposits received for the fabricator's minimum order of 15 units in around two more months, then construction usually takes around 30 days. Duc2V4 and I are sending PMs to everyone on Ziffer's 'I'm interested' list and we anticipate a positive response, so we are guessing at a ship date around the end of May.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

Hello gentlemen and Skids [Just kidding Skids...we reserve the right to have good-natured fun with members here]

Best news possible - at this very moment I'm on the phone with Duc2V4 and we are setting up the spreadsheet of deposits received and orders placed for headers. Duc is in great shape, sharp as ever, reviewing this thread and keeping the project on track.

At this time five people have sent deposits for new headers, and here they are. We'll keep this list updated as we received more deposits:

[2] A VFRD member whose actual name's initials are ZZ. We need your username to give you proper credit for your deposit - the note in your paypal transfer had almost all the info but we couldn't locate your username.

[3] VFRCAPN

[4] Skids

[5] CornPoweredV4 

Skids - to answer your question, it appears that we will have deposits received for the fabricator's minimum order of 15 units in around two more months, then construction usually takes around 30 days. Duc2V4 and I are sending PMs to everyone on Ziffer's 'I'm interested' list and we anticipate a positive response, so we are guessing at a ship date around the end of May.

Thank you so much m8, really appreciate all the work you and Duc are putting into this. 

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

[3] VFRCAPN

[4] Skids

[5] CornPoweredV4 

Great news!

And I'm ZZ.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Ziffer said:

Great news!

And I'm ZZ.

Hey Ziffer - thanks for helping us connect the username dots. And thanks for compiling the list of folks interested in headers - this morning Duc2V4 wrote up a draft PM to blast/spam out to all those interested folks so we can get this party started by getting 15 units ordered which will trigger Wade to start bending and welding stainless tubes. Couldn’t have done it without you and the rest of the VFRD community.

• Member Contributer

OK folks, the ball is in play! I just sent out PM's to all of those on the list that have a VFRD username. What could better on Valentines Day than a message from Duc2V4 letting you know you can now officially buy a set of performance headers for your beloved VFR?!

Cheers!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

sfdownhill.....  You had listed....

[2] A VFRD member whose actual name's initials are ZZ. We need your username to give you proper credit for your deposit - the note in your paypal transfer had almost all the info but we couldn't locate your username.

[3] VFRCAPN

[4] Skids

[5] CornPoweredV4 

You are correct I go by Motleyfan on here.  my email name is RC51nick not RCNick51.  lol... all good just wanted to get it correct.

Nick

• Member Contributer

Hello everyone I been away for years. Just wanted to check how these are doing? Looks like another order going in now. Very nice.

To avoid going through 59 pages, has there been any changes to the exit location over the years? With my laser extreme exhaust  on my 6 gen the original head pipe exit causes my exhaust to rub the rear tire. 

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, 3dcycle said:

Hello everyone I been away for years. Just wanted to check how these are doing? Looks like another order going in now. Very nice.

To avoid going through 59 pages, has there been any changes to the exit location over the years? With my laser extreme exhaust  on my 6 gen the original head pipe exit causes my exhaust to rub the rear tire. 

Doing the deposit phase at the moment, so still time to get in on this production run. In regards to changes, only readjusting the 2 front pipes, getting the alignment of these pipes to the exhaust port on the engine more aligned. As for the fit, more like OEM than most other aftermarket kits out there currently. As far as we are aware, nobody has mentioned any issues with tire rubbing.

If you are interested, send me or sfdownhill a PM and we can send the details on what we need to place your order, in summary though. Headers are now $1005.00 with a $300 deposit to get yours reserved. Shipping will be determined once ready to ship.

Cheers,

D

• Member Contributer
19 minutes ago, Duc2V4 said:

Doing the deposit phase at the moment, so still time to get in on this production run. In regards to changes, only readjusting the 2 front pipes, getting the alignment of these pipes to the exhaust port on the engine more aligned. As for the fit, more like OEM than most other aftermarket kits out there currently. As far as we are aware, nobody has mentioned any issues with tire rubbing.

If you are interested, send me or sfdownhill a PM and we can send the details on what we need to place your order, in summary though. Headers are now $1005.00 with a $300 deposit to get yours reserved. Shipping will be determined once ready to ship.

Cheers,

D

Ok thanks. It rubs due to the complex pipe work of the laser mufflers. If it’s still in the same spot I will continue to try to make these work. It’s the only problem I have with them

Does anyone have a concrete list of what parts are needed to install these headers aside from what comes in the kit itself? Would be nice to have everything ordered ahead of time.

I saw someone a few pages back mention something about getting spare exhaust studs + bolts, stuff like that. Didn't see a defined list of parts anywhere, but maybe I just missed it.

• Member Contributer
40 minutes ago, CornPoweredV4 said:

Does anyone have a concrete list of what parts are needed to install these headers aside from what comes in the kit itself? Would be nice to have everything ordered ahead of time.

I saw someone a few pages back mention something about getting spare exhaust studs + bolts, stuff like that. Didn't see a defined list of parts anywhere, but maybe I just missed it.

Ideally you will want to get the 4 exhaust o-ring gaskets for the cylinder exhaust ports. When we did our initial run we did offer the O-ring gaskets but most folks just got them directly from Honda or Delkevic, especially the latter header production runs. This time, we suggest that most take that route, it'll be a lot easier on all involved. Depending on whether your studs at these locations are rusty or corroded, you may also want to order new studs/nuts, or use this time to use some sort of rust/corrosion remover on them while you're waiting. Just because I'm more critical, I ended up replacing these on both my 5 and 6 Gen when I installed my headers.

The only other potential gasket you might need is the main header exit gasket, this will depend on what link pipe you currently have for your exhaust cans. In my 5 Gen case, the link pipe was a metal to metal fit and I did not need/use a gasket or modify the link pipe. In the 6 Gen case, I had to have the link pipe expanded to fit the header exit and there it was also a metal to metal fit, no gasket used. Although I do believe I used some type of sealant at the places where pipes joined together.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Cheers,

D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

I highly recommend ordering studs and flange nuts in advance and not counting on some or all of your existing ones to work out.  None of mine were even close to seized in the block, but most of them were seized to the flange nuts.

May be better post pandemic, but I ended up ordering from three places and waiting to see what arrived first and sort of quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Good call.

Just ordered 5 (4 + spare) genuine Honda exhaust port gaskets from David Silver Spares. I'll hold off the link pipe gasket and studs. With an sub-9000 mile engine that's in really good nick, I can't see any deterioration on the studs so I'm going to soak them in WD-40 (is there anything better?) closer to the time when I take the fairings off - got some riding to do on her when the weather improves.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, adkfinn said:

Kroil  (much, much better)

Don't think it's available over here. 

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, Skids said:

Don't think it's available over here. 

Gotcha, forgot about that... 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=kroil&_sacat=0

somewhat available perhaps?

• Thanks 1