New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

I've always heard great things about Staintune, but unfortunately the ones I've found on eBay were in pretty ratty condition. Luckily it looks like they're planning on making brand new VFR800 pipes again soon based off their website https://staintune.com.au/.

I emailed them asking when they plan on having them available for VFRs again and for what generations, I will post an update here when I get an answer.

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, CornPoweredV4 said:

I've always heard great things about Staintune, but unfortunately the ones I've found on eBay were in pretty ratty condition. Luckily it looks like they're planning on making brand new VFR800 pipes again soon based off their website https://staintune.com.au/.

I emailed them asking when they plan on having them available for VFRs again and for what generations, I will post an update here when I get an answer.

There’s a used set on the vfr800 buy/sell page on FB. 

85A644FA-56E9-467E-A638-750CF1915E85.png

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I have the Delkevic 8" pipes.  I have heard them next to another 6th gen that also has the VFRD headers with gutted stock mufflers, and I prefer the Delkevic sound.  It's got that throaty V-8 rumble at low RPM and idle, but shrieks like a superbike up high.  Has caused several beginner riders near me to panic (not intentionally!).  Agree the gutted stock option sounds tinny and odd, Delkevic is a great option.

Couple notes though, with the headers, it was too loud for riding without earplugs even with baffles.  Delkevic does sell a "quieter" baffle which gave me the extra 3dB I need.  Bike is louder without being obnoxious now.  If you Google around you will find other people have home made even quieter ones by extending the baffle further.  It may be fine with the cat installed but with the straight pipes, 8" just doesn't muffle well by itself.

The Dekevic intermediate pipe that connects to the header is sized for the stock header.  When you get the VFRD header, it's  wider (hooray!) so be prepared to take it to a shop to have it expanded a tiny bit.  The do it yourself expander broke, it's strong enough (also hooray) that it needs a proper hydraulic expander.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, ShipFixer said:

...it was too loud for riding without earplugs even with baffles.

to be fair... it is good practice to ride with earplugs in. That wind can be deafening and distracting.
Can only lose your hearing once!

...but yes... you shouldn't HAVE to ride with them.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

My audiogram is the same at 45 as it was at 22, despite a previous life in diesel engine rooms and my last office sitting under the three-wire on an aircraft carrier 😉  I know what loud is like and generally avoid it (hence my audiogram results).  It's a high point of the VFR and Shoei for me that they're relatively very quiet.

Better believe I was ready to shove as much extra baffle length in the Delkevics to get to "manageable!"

• Member Contributer
On 9/8/2022 at 12:14 PM, ShipFixer said:

and my last office sitting under the three-wire on an aircraft carrier

You and I have similar definitions for "office job" 😁 I work at the SD waterfront on the 'sneaky ship'. Turbines in enclosed spaces are not quiet, so I can empathize... but on a CVN flight deck?! That must have been intense... all the more impressive flex to maintain an excellent audiogram!

My RF-1200 is good for ~3 hours of wind/catless v4/solo karaoke... much longer and I reach for the bag-o-plugs I keep in my tank bag

• Member Contributer

Sadly it's not just volume that kills yr hearing, the range of frequencies and tempo of exposure can really damage hearing as well. You can't always hear that, which is why, if you really want to protect yr hearing into yr old age, you need hearing protection if you ride a bike regularly.

My Shoei is supposed to be very quiet, but on the odd occasion I don't put the ear plugs in the noise is surprisingly loud.

I've stood on the flight deck of a US carrier (2 actually) during flight ops and the noise is immense. Also tried to sleep below the cat 🤣 no chance. My job didn't help but I've managed to only lose a small portion of higher frequencies so not too bad at the moment. 

Staintunes are awesome, but then so is the DAM. But earplugs are a must for me.

YMMV :beer:

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

That's great for you guys. I love the Staintune on my '98, but it ins't loud at all. I wear the ear plugs for the wind. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 10/4/2022 at 5:09 PM, sfdownhill said:

Yup, as a matter of fact, I just texted w him and his recently operated-on right hand is doing great. Wade has the hard cast off and is ready to begin signaling fellow motor vehicle operators:D849A32C-C757-4D09-A35A-5E4C62B0171A.thumb.jpeg.a78e63c9dd48bc9900760b9eb64371bb.jpeg

He goes in to have the left hand done this week, and he says he’ll be ready to build by the time we get 15 or more deposits collected. Duc2V4 and I will get the order system set back up and report back at this location.

Bwahaha...OBVIOUSLY... he's doing better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

He goes in to have the left hand done this week, and he says he’ll be ready to build by the time we get 15 or more deposits collected. Duc2V4 and I will get the order system set back up and report back at this location.

Bump to this...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So... How about that order system? Making any progress?

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Ziffer said:

So... How about that order system? Making any progress?

I’ll bump sfdownhill on this.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I spoke with sfdownhill last night and he is going to confirm with the pipe builder this weekend that he’s ready to take on more work. Should have an answer by this coming Monday…

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

So got word back from sfdownhill, looks like builder is ready to move forward...:)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
4 hours ago, CornPoweredV4 said:

So uh, I guess some kind of order system needs to be set up..?

Yeah, sfdownhill is supposed to get that setup but he’s has some personal stuff to get out of the way first. We’ll try and get this going ASAP.

• Like 2