New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer

In response to @boOZZIE 's experience here, the do it yourself pipe expanders made no change at all to my Delkevic pipe and my impact wrench is no shrinking violet.  Had to be done on a hydraulic machine in a shop.  Two tries and it was done.  

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 11/12/2021 at 4:17 PM, Manny98 said:

For the fifth gen guys.....what slip on are you running and did you have any difficulty widening the pipe to fit the increased diameter of the VFRD header?  I have a low slung Yoshimura for touring purposes.  Not only is it too quiet but it tore a bit when the hydraulic pipe expander was used.  Thanks.

No problem with my Staintune. Though the first place I contacted said no, it couldn't be done. The 2nd place is was a motorcyle/muffler shop. The owner warned me about tearing but the highly experienced technician was confident.  I don't remember if he torched it, but it did take him many passes to get it perfect.

With the expanded Staintune, I found the stock 50mm clamp did not fit well.  I purchased a 54mm clamp from Staintune and the fit is much better.

Hope you get your Yoshi sorted out!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

As long as we're revisiting this topic, after 1 summer of riding, the headers had turned more or less a bronze color, with some blueing near the heads - not surprising.  About 30 to 40 minutes with a sponge, spray bottle and some Barkeepers Friend has them looking like new.  Not sure if that affects the passivation or not - I can't imagine that the B.K.F. removes any significant layer of material to get down to anything ferrous - but if so, so be it - they look very nice again. 

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Colour shows thickness of oxide layer is 1/2-wavelength. So blue ends up being 235-nanometers thick!  Nothing to worry about taking that little off. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Cogswell said:

As long as we're revisiting this topic...

We never left this topic... 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Member Contributer
On 11/14/2021 at 2:46 PM, ShipFixer said:

In response to @boOZZIE 's experience here, the do it yourself pipe expanders made no change at all to my Delkevic pipe and my impact wrench is no shrinking violet.  Had to be done on a hydraulic machine in a shop.  Two tries and it was done.  

It took a bit of figuring out how to place the expander into the pipe and then to get my brother to hold the exhaust and I used a breaker bar. An oxy would have been good

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Cogswell said:

As long as we're revisiting this topic, after 1 summer of riding, the headers had turned more or less a bronze color, with some blueing near the heads - not surprising.  About 30 to 40 minutes with a sponge, spray bottle and some Barkeepers Friend has them looking like new.  Not sure if that affects the passivation or not - I can't imagine that the B.K.F. removes any significant layer of material to get down to anything ferrous - but if so, so be it - they look very nice again. 

The bronze goes good with my wheels 😀

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I am looking for a 00/01 VFR800 5th Gen to buy and if I can find one I would certainly be interested in a suitable VFRD header for it should there be sufficient numbers to justify another production run.

What would be useful in confirming my wish would be to list what I might need to do to make the outlay worthwhile as 53 pages is quite a hefty task and some of the discussion is waaaaay above my head and I don't want to start something I am unable to finish with my limited spannering abilities. PC3? RB module? Any other engine mods? End can/muffler? etc etc

Awesome work though guys! :fing02: :beer:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, boOZZIE said:

It took a bit of figuring out how to place the expander into the pipe and then to get my brother to hold the exhaust and I used a breaker bar. An oxy would have been good

I tried both a giant breaker bar and my impact wrench.  The Delkevic bent the pipe expander sections instead of expanding.  No joke.  Tossed out the expander.  🙃

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Skids said:

I am looking for a 00/01 VFR800 5th Gen to buy and if I can find one I would certainly be interested in a suitable VFRD header for it should there be sufficient numbers to justify another production run.

What would be useful in confirming my wish would be to list what I might need to do to make the outlay worthwhile as 53 pages is quite a hefty task and some of the discussion is waaaaay above my head and I don't want to start something I am unable to finish with my limited spannering abilities. PC3? RB module? Any other engine mods? End can/muffler? etc etc

Awesome work though guys! :fing02: :beer:

Headers ($) + RB module ($) + wideband o2 sensor($) + additional wideband o2 module($) + performance muffler ($) + dyno tune($) will obviously make the most of it but the total cost is fairly high.

I was running an RB (no tune & no wbo2) but the RB shat itself, bike still runs better than stock in way of performance and fuel economy *.

If you get a hold of a set you can run it as is and add those additional bits as needed. I'm not sure about using stock muffler though.

*unless heavy with the throttle for sustained periods. This has been proven 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, boOZZIE said:

Headers ($) + RB module ($) + wideband o2 sensor($) + additional wideband o2 module($) + performance muffler ($) + dyno tune($) will obviously make the most of it but the total cost is fairly high.

I was running an RB (no tune & no wbo2) but the RB shat itself, bike still runs better than stock in way of performance and fuel economy *.

If you get a hold of a set you can run it as is and add those additional bits as needed. I'm not sure about using stock muffler though.

Regardless of which piggyback you get, wideband O2 is cheaper and more capable now than ever. Best unit on market is TechEdge.com.au with full digital interfaces (all other products on market may have digital readout on display, but controller actually just sends analogue voltage signal to it. Display is just voltmeter).

I just picked up my 2nd unit from them, a DIY 2Y system with built-in display and on-board datalogging. Can record AFR, RPM, TPS, speed, etc. for 20-minutes. Then dump to computer to draw pretty graphs and analyse. Way, way more capable and more accurate than anything else on market for about U$250. :)

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, boOZZIE said:

That's 6 x $ signs! 😬

• Sad 1

• Member Contributer
On 11/15/2021 at 2:24 AM, Skids said:

I am looking for a 00/01 VFR800 5th Gen to buy

Hey Skids - not to hijack the header thread, but since you’re looking for a 5 gen to put headers on, I can justify proceeding!

I have a 2001 with less than 10,000 miles that will be for sale in two months (maybe sooner). It’s all stock except upgraded regulator/rectifier, never crashed or dropped, in pristine condition. PM me if you’d like to continue this conversation.

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
On 11/15/2021 at 10:06 PM, Skids said:

That's 6 x $ signs! 😬

Even with 6 x $ you’d have a hard time finding  someone who’s installed these headers with the listed items and a good tune who wouldn’t do it all again...I’m getting pissed at myself for not sorting my 5 gen’s injectors so I can get back on the road with it. Not to mention that the Rapid Bike Race with My Tuning Bike autotune will probably benefit from  a track day or two...as will I.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

Hey Skids - not to hijack the header thread, but since you’re looking for a 5 gen to put headers on, I can justify proceeding!

I have a 2001 with less than 10,000 miles that will be for sale in two months (maybe sooner). It’s all stock except upgraded regulator/rectifier, never crashed or dropped, in pristine condition. PM me if you’d like to continue this conversation.

That's very kind of you m8 but i suspect the export /import and transportation charges would make it unfeasible. 

• Member Contributer
24 minutes ago, Skids said:

That's very kind of you m8 but i suspect the export /import and transportation charges would make it unfeasible. 

Oy! I completely neglected to check your geographic location! Happy hunting on your 5 gen search.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2021 at 6:45 PM, DivisibleRex said:

How is the list going is there enough people interested for a potential new run for the headers?

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm also interested in a set of pipes for my 6th gen 2007.

Is there a list to be put on or a deposit that can be made still?

I forget if there is mapping available from the development phase? I may soon be in need of a PC3 map for this header/Remus slip on/air filter. Currently running the old CozyE map, but at long last getting into installing some of my hoarded parts.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

I forget if there is mapping available from the development phase? I may soon be in need of a PC3 map for this header/Remus slip on/air filter. Currently running the old CozyE map, but at long last getting into installing some of my hoarded parts.

SF is your man. vfrheaders@gmail.com.

• Member Contributer
On 12/10/2021 at 6:49 AM, SEBSPEED said:

Hip hip hooray for hoarded parts! Let us pay tribute to our racks and stacks of parts...they'll all be put to porper use in good time.

Seb, yes there are maps for 5 gen [PC3, can be converted to PCV], 6 gen [PCV], and 8 gen [PCV]. Paypal $50 to vfrheaders@gmail.com and let us know which map you'd like.

• Member Contributer
On 12/7/2021 at 1:02 PM, CornPoweredV4 said:

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm also interested in a set of pipes for my 6th gen 2007.

Is there a list to be put on or a deposit that can be made still?

Hi Cornpo. There is not a formal list for another round of headers, but don't write it off. There are about 5 people interested in headers, and that's taken 6-8 months to gather. The minimum order is 15 units, so it's possible that - over a fair amount of time - we'll be able to put together an order.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

I'm now potentially interested in a set, too, so I will continue to watch this thread...

Ciao,

JZH

• Like 1