New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer

One-Year Update:

Headers are still holding up strong, even with welded wide-band O2 sensor plugs for each cylinder!

These pipes are top-notch.

Here's my Dyno-Sheet to add to the public database:

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
On 7/19/2021 at 1:37 PM, interceptor69 said:

They are the real deal and if they ever run another batch you should consider buying a set.  

On 7/19/2021 at 4:55 PM, Cogswell said:

It looked like the last batch pretty much satisfied the demand out there.  But, you never know.  

I'm finally racking up some miles on mine.  I was hoping that the cat gone missing might allow more heat to exit vs build up in the headers, but the jury is out on that.  They seem to improve the midrange response around 7,000 rpm and they definitely sound better!    This afternoon I pulled in to a station to fill up.  There were two quad cab 4x4s with flatbed trailers that had quads, gas cans, all sorts of powersports gear and two couples each from the two pickups.  I finished my business, mounted up and thumbed the starter.  As I idled away from the pump all 8 heads turned in unison and one of the women said "what is THAT"??  I was laughing inside my helmet.   Well 'ol girl, you may be 13 years old now, but you've still got "it" and your V-4 is still something special.  Those VFRD headers put a double underscore on that.  

On 8/9/2021 at 11:17 AM, ae86andkp61 said:

It looks like I missed out; but I’m totally committed for the next batch for my 6th gen!

I messaged MrSqiggle a few weeks ago about buying the uninstalled set he has for sale on these forums (even though shipping from Oz would likely be expensive) but it seems he hasn’t logged in for over a month. 😩

I'd be pretty damn interested if there was ever another batch run. Honestly, it's kinda outside my budget right now. I have other priorities. But, if the chance came up, I'd prolly throw money at it. I want 'em bad. The guys I ride with all have pure sport bikes. they are all fast, but I love my VFR. I also hit up MrSquiggle, but he hasn't answered.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

So, for my next question... What's the next best thing for my 2000 VFR800? Would it be worth it to buy someone's '98-'99 stock header and get rid of my cat? Or maybe bash out the inside of the cat? The bike is 21 years old now, but runs great. Is there a good aftermarket performance header available at all?

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Ziffer said:

So, for my next question... What's the next best thing for my 2000 VFR800? Would it be worth it to buy someone's '98-'99 stock header and get rid of my cat? Or maybe bash out the inside of the cat? The bike is 21 years old now, but runs great. Is there a good aftermarket performance header available at all?

I doubt swapping for 98/99 headers is going to make any noticeable performance difference, tho it may alter the sound some presuming you have an aftermarket can on it.  The cat has multiple times the diameter of the tubes so can get exhaust gases through sufficiently to not quash power.  The VFRD headers are larger diameter than stock, so that is more impactful.  I thought losing the cat would help keep the heat down, but that wasn't particularly obvious.  Also keep in mind that your headers are stainless while the early 5th gen headers are mild steel and can corrode significantly.   Someone who's actually run other brands of headers will have to comment on that - I'm no help on there.

If you want to keep up with your buddies, you're better off getting the suspension done, taking some track time under instruction and if you need to, shed some weight from your own carcass.  I've lost some significant weight in the past year and have noticed that the 'ol girl seems to have more giddyup than before. 

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Cogswell said:

the early 5th gen headers are mild steel and can corrode significantly.

Can confirm. 60,000 miles did not do the factory headers on my '00 any justice...

• Member Contributer
On 8/18/2021 at 3:11 PM, Cogswell said:

I doubt swapping for 98/99 headers is going to make any noticeable performance difference, tho it may alter the sound some presuming you have an aftermarket can on it.  The cat has multiple times the diameter of the tubes so can get exhaust gases through sufficiently to not quash power.  The VFRD headers are larger diameter than stock, so that is more impactful.  I thought losing the cat would help keep the heat down, but that wasn't particularly obvious.  Also keep in mind that your headers are stainless while the early 5th gen headers are mild steel and can corrode significantly.   Someone who's actually run other brands of headers will have to comment on that - I'm no help on there.

If you want to keep up with your buddies, you're better off getting the suspension done, taking some track time under instruction and if you need to, shed some weight from your own carcass.  I've lost some significant weight in the past year and have noticed that the 'ol girl seems to have more giddyup than before. 

I just happened to see a set of early 5th gen headers on eBay for a good price. But, yeah, prolly not worth it. There are plenty of other places to put my money on this bike. My carcass is already pretty lean, so got that covered. Track time... Yep, working on it. Thanks for the advice, sounds good.

Some of these guys are pretty nutty, anyway. I don't need to go that fast on the streets. A couple of them collided on a recent run, sending both of them to the hospital. That little mishap almost included me. Luckily, I looked in the mirror before I turned left. The other guy didn't.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Ziffer said:

I just happened to see a set of early 5th gen headers on eBay for a good price. But, yeah, prolly not worth it. There are plenty of other places to put my money on this bike. My carcass is already pretty lean, so got that covered. Track time... Yep, working on it. Thanks for the advice, sounds good.

Some of these guys are pretty nutty, anyway. I don't need to go that fast on the streets. A couple of them collided on a recent run, sending both of them to the hospital. That little mishap almost included me. Luckily, I looked in the mirror before I turned left. The other guy didn't.

I have a set of 5th gen headers I don't need, just a couple of pinholes that need welding up. pm me if interested. 

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

I have a set of 5th gen headers I don't need, just a couple of pinholes that need welding up. pm me if interested. 

Nice to see VFR guys helping each other out. vfrcapn, you know this, but for others who may not, it’s the 1998-1999 headers that have larger diameter tubes and no catalytic converter. A fair number of VFR owners have replaced stock skinny-tubed catalytic converter headers on 2000-2009 models with success (they work on 6th gen too). The only downside to the 98-99 headers is that they are mild steel, not stainless. 

• Member Contributer
On 8/20/2021 at 7:31 PM, vfrcapn said:

19 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

Nice to see VFR guys helping each other out. vfrcapn, you know this, but for others who may not, it’s the 1998-1999 headers that have larger diameter tubes and no catalytic converter. A fair number of VFR owners have replaced stock skinny-tubed catalytic converter headers on 2000-2009 models with success (they work on 6th gen too). The only downside to the 98-99 headers is that they are mild steel, not stainless. 

18 hours ago, comradeQuestion said:

Ziffer, I see you are in Northern Washington.  I'm in Portland and go to Seattle semi-regularly to visit family and just removed the headers off a 1998.  Just another option if you want to go forward with finding 98-99 headers.

Hey, thanks for the offers, and the info. I think I'm gonna stick with what I have for now, but I'll keep it in mind in case I decide to switch.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Duste said:

Is there a waiting list for the next batch?

There’s not a waiting list at this time, but we’re keeping track of interested parties and if it the numbers keep increasing, there might be the possibility of another batch.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, sfdownhill said:

There’s not a waiting list at this time, but we’re keeping track of interested parties and if it the numbers keep increasing, there might be the possibility of another batch.

Oh, definitely put me on the list of interested parties.

• Member Contributer

Shit! I'd buy another one just to add one to inventory in case I ever crash my 8G and have to buy another one? I could never ride the 8G stock again! 😉 

The performance gain for the 8G is priceless!!

20200727_190602.jpg

• Like 5

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, VFR4Me said:

Any 8th gen folks mount one of these without the dyno tune?  What are the impressions. How does it run without a tune? 

I would not run these headers without a tune of some sort.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, VFR4Me said:

Any 8th gen folks mount one of these without the dyno tune?  What are the impressions. How does it run without a tune? 

It all depends. Before I removed the 02 pair system We had to add a bunch of fuel to  get a proper AF. After I remove the pair system We had to take a shit ton of fuel out. You can run the bike with the stock tune on these headers, and it will probably run just fine. But I get the full benefits of the performance exhaust I would highly suggest removing the o2 pair  system

and getting a custom tune 

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Well, that's three...only 17 more to go...*sigh*

On 8/23/2021 at 10:29 AM, Ziffer said:

Oh, definitely put me on the list of interested parties.

22 hours ago, Duste said:

Likewise, lock me in.

21 hours ago, flya750 said:

Shit! I'd buy another one just add one to inventory in case I ever crash my 8G and have to buy another one? I could never ride the 8G stock again! 😉 

The performance gain for the 8G is priceless!!

20200727_190602.jpg

• Haha 1

New to the VFR crowd and im looking for a full exhaust for my 2008. And was directed to this thread a facebook group Im in. Who would i need to get in touch with about getting in line for a potential run of the headers. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, DivisibleRex said:

New to the VFR crowd and im looking for a full exhaust for my 2008. And was directed to this thread a facebook group Im in. Who would i need to get in touch with about getting in line for a potential run of the headers. 

Read the thread - self explanatory. 

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Gotama said:

Before I removed the 02 pair system We had to add a bunch of fuel to  get a proper AF. After I remove the pair system We had to take a shit ton of fuel out.

Thumbs up!! You MUST remove the PAIR system prior to tuning because the PAIR  dumps fresh air into the exhaust gases. This causes both onboard O2 sensors and dyno O2 sensors to get an AFR reading that is far leaner than actual.

4 hours ago, Ziffer said:

Well, that's three...only 17 more to go...*sigh*

The minimum order is 15. Actually there are a few others interested in the headers, so possibly 6 or 7 including DivisibleRex, but it’s not official that there is a list or another production run happening.

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

(Laughing) You probably only need to read the first 6 or 8 pages to get the gist.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

The minimum order is 15. Actually there are a few others interested in the headers, so possibly 6 or 7 including DivisibleRex, but it’s not official that there is a list or another production run happening.

Yeah, I couldn't remember if it was 15 or 20 to make the minimum. But I just figured if we could get the minimum number of people together with cash, we could probably get it done. But we're still a long way off.

Edit:

Also, we should start an official list, just in case we do get enough interest.

• Member Contributer
On 8/24/2021 at 9:57 PM, Cogswell said:

At this point, that's a multi-hour undertaking...