New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer

Slightly off topic, but I saw this interesting VFR750 header on eBay and thought I’d share: 

DC01A782-B5BC-44C0-9D03-15ECA9A7C547.thumb.png.c2c2dd1f7c399b6f82e4011c8f35ce08.png

Note how it merges front and rear whilst giving the rear pipes a bit more length. I wonder if those loops interfere with the rider’s feet. 

Clever, me thinks! 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

How did you buy the Attack map?  I would like to load it.

@sfdownhill is your contact person.  

From Nov 2019, page 26 of this thread:

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/88463-new-5th6th8th-gen-performance-header-now-in-production-in-usa/page/26/&tab=comments#comment-1102353

I'm using the map but plan on having one custom made. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Stray said:

Docnut, does that setup cook your rear brake fluid? 

Nope. There’s plenty of airflow around everything. Not having a heat shield and the more outward-mounted rearsets on adapters should help, too. I’d venture to say the factory setup causes more heat in the fluid, with no airflow, all the radiant exhaust heat being contained, and the hose being routed inside sheathing. There has to be heat soak. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Tirso said:

@sfdownhill is your contact person.  

From Nov 2019, page 26 of this thread:

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/88463-new-5th6th8th-gen-performance-header-now-in-production-in-usa/page/26/&tab=comments#comment-1102353

I'm using the map but plan on having one custom made. 

Thanks.  I PM'd him.  Do you think you will get better HP and torque numbers from a custom map?  Dumb question-of course you will but how much better I wonder.  Be interested in how much better-please let us know!

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Stray said:

Note how it merges front and rear whilst giving the rear pipes a bit more length. I wonder if those loops interfere with the rider’s feet. 

Cool pipes - the curly-cues on the rear primaries are indeed interesting. I think our headers merge left-front-to-left-rear and right front-to-right-rear like the ones in the photo. It looks like the headers in the photo might be missing the last curves to get the front pipes to meet the cylinders...not sure.

55 minutes ago, interceptor69 said:

Thanks.  I PM'd him.  Do you think you will get better HP and torque numbers from a custom map?  Dumb question-of course you will but how much better I wonder.  Be interested in how much better-please let us know!

PM received and responded. Your question is a good one. Maybe someone who is going to have their bike dyno tuned [Tirso? Other owner of WiLD headers?]  can have a baseline dyno run done with the Attack map before tuning their own custom map? That would be an effective apples-to-apples comparison.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Loaded the Attack map onto the PC III and went out for a 105 mile ride. My bike is as close as possible to the bike used on the Dyno at Attack-headers, PC III, K & N air filter and free flowing pipe.   First impressions are that the PC III and the Attack map result in a much smoother power delivery from below 4K to redline.  It reminds me of how if felt when I first rode it but w/ more power throughout the rev range.  Very impressive pulling power, even in top gear when over 7K rpms.  Gotta hold on for sure up there!  Great work all around.  I can't thank sfdownhill and Duc2V4 for all the hard work to get these headers built and shipped as well as the long hours spent at Attack Performance getting this map done.  Bravo!

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

Finally getting around to this since I cleared out my garage.  Headers, oil change, and RapidBike reset tonight...if it goes quickly enough maybe a test ride 😄

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Ok I have all of the exhaust flange bolts off.  Just discovered the bolt in the bottom of the bike holding the catalytic converter to the frame.  What're the odds I can get that off without removing the sidestand or centerstand, with a ratchet universal joint?  Is it a capture nut on the other side?

• Member Contributer

On my 6th gen the nut was loose and fell out once threaded off.  I just used an end wrench and socket. If not rusted, it should be very easy.

• Member Contributer

Anyone got one of these headers they want to shift? Ideally the 8th gen version for front-facing rad but I’ll consider any. Based in England and happy to import if it’s not extortionate. 

Please PM!

Best, 

Stray

Today was Dyno day

so back in 2009 I had the bike tuned with a PC3 and I cut the tips on the stock exhaust that was the only mod I did on my Dads bike 

sadly he passed away last January and never got to see this completed 

basically he didn’t want me messing with it to much lol

after new plugs O2 block off plates 

VFRD headers and custom mid pipe to a pair of FMF apex cans 

I have got to say these headers are legit !!!!

blue line is what I started with in 09 

red line is after the stated mods I did 

and 

green line is where we are at 

mom currently running the Michlen road 5’s and if I switched to the power 5’s you’d see a 2 to 3 hp increase 

8BFD2268-0BBB-4F13-88DC-49592090D428.jpeg

B0F7A545-8AA4-4CB7-8F8C-0AAECA84E225.jpeg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Stray said:

Anyone got one of these headers they want to shift? Ideally the 8th gen version for front-facing rad but I’ll consider any. Based in England and happy to import if it’s not extortionate. 

Please PM!

Best, 

Stray

PM sent

• Member Contributer

I think they need 10 - 15 orders per 

production cycle and if ya go back to the last run I think you might be at about 5.

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, boOZZIE said:

I think they need 10 - 15 orders per 

production cycle and if ya go back to the last run I think you might be at about 5.

The minimum is still 15. There was a misunderstanding with the builder but ultimately the builder's pipe supplier is the culprit here. That being said, sfdownhill and I are taking a little break from this for the moment. Never say never but probably won't be for a while, if we do go again. This last run seemed to take forever just to get in the orders and then to get them completed seemed prolonged as well.

I'm glad to be part of it and can't thank everyone enough for being patient and even purchasing them. Also like to add a big thanks to CornerCarver, his loaning us his 2 Bros headers helped this all get off the ground.

Cheers

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• Member Contributer
On 5/19/2021 at 6:45 AM, Stray said:

Please PM!

Best, 

Stray

Hey Stray - glad to see Mr Squiggle might be able to hook you up with a set of headers. You were instrumental early in the process of getting the headers started - I remember you did a lot of work with the importer of Lextek headers, and you and I had a couple good talks during the process. Cheers mate!

• Member Contributer

Progress...

3A0BCF5E-63FA-45D2-B7DA-FDAD32C0D9E0.jpe

The VFRD headers are visually wider diameter on the inside, and my OEM gaskets were definitely intruding into the exhaust stream.  Had no problem hand-seating the new copper gaskets in the rear exhaust ports.  Going to clean as I go but smooth so far!

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

Quitting for the night.  Lining up the front pipes is a serious PITA.  Everything else is in place, waiting to be torqued down.

• Member Contributer
On 5/19/2021 at 11:00 PM, MrSquiggle said:

PM sent

PM received and responded - thank you! 

On 5/20/2021 at 2:55 PM, sfdownhill said:

Hey Stray - glad to see Mr Squiggle might be able to hook you up with a set of headers. You were instrumental early in the process of getting the headers started - I remember you did a lot of work with the importer of Lextek headers, and you and I had a coupe good talks during the process. Cheers mate!

Your work on this is nothing short of amazing, SF. You boys pulled off the impossible and others have tried for decades - respect! 

I wanted an 8th gen system so bad I could taste it but personal circumstances changed right as I was about to get one. Luckily things have improved somewhat but JUST too late to get on the last production run. 

Turns out quite a few people who bought these didn’t fit them and have had changes in circumstances of their own. I’ll pick up one of these and save waiting for the next run. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Stray said:

Turns out quite a few people who bought these didn’t fit them and have had changes in circumstances of their own. I’ll pick up one of these and save waiting for the next run. 

Sounds good Stray - glad it’s working out.

8 hours ago, ShipFixer said:

Quitting for the night.  Lining up the front pipes is a serious PITA.  Everything else is in place, waiting to be torqued down.

You are correct about the front two cylinders’ pipes being a pain in the buttocks to fit. It turns out that the original Two Brothers headers we copied were bent...dang. At the time the fixtures were built for 5/6 gen in 2018, the last thing on our minds was cutting up one of the last known ‘magic TBR headers’ in captivity to correct their alignment.

• Member Contributer

Looking forward to getting these installed. I ordered new nuts, and this thread convinced me not to be lazy so I ordered the studs too, from Honda. Picked them up yesterday, there were SEVEN. The last one is back ordered until mid July! 🤬

Maybe I'll do it anyway and leave the most accessible one in to do later, or maybe I'll just wait until I put the RC51 tail on and make the new mid pipe at the same time. Finally riding weather here so I don't mind having it together.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I had to spread mine apart. Rather than fight it in place, I  removed them and held one pipe while using my leg to ease the other out.  It took a few tries, but it got them to where they fit right in. In this case the strap looks like a good option. Looks like it needs to come forward a bit. Some muscle moght get it - it's not far off.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Well, good news, I've got them about lined up.  I used wood shims from Lowes to separate/unseparate them until they were about right.

Bad news...two of my exhaust studs unscrewed out of the engine block rather than unbolt.  The bolts are seized pretty hard.  Talking to sfdownhill, not sure it's a good idea to screw them back in as-is since they will sit further out.  Soaking them in PB Blaster before I try a round of new tricks to get them off.  They don't look that bad, but hard to get a grip on.  I'm on travel next Monday so a week wait for new studs and bolts isn't a huge deal but I'd like to get it done.

All that said...everything looks really good right now.  No engine/frame interference, the pipe flanges line up just right with the gaskets and ports diameter-wise, etc.  

• Like 2