New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Madfox said:

Polished! Worth the effort. Seat of the pants dyno says it's making more power. Negative Nancy will say "more noise makes it psychological" but the effect is the same 😏

The gaskets were definitely challenging but I got mine seated with some swearing. Wish I could find a slimmer donut gasket for the 2 Bros midpipe but aluminum foil and copper gasket works for now.

I used these for the bungholios:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078NXL1MF?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

20210416_164330.thumb.jpg.2dc452264b2585f929ecea8e20847ab1.jpg20210416_164231.thumb.jpg.607818eaa5f8f09409b0297bbc67d593.jpg

Many thanks to the Madmen that made this project come together!

You are sir, obviously someone that loves his 5th gen.  So do I!  :wub:

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Received my RB Racing unit and an M18 plug and gasket today.  Gotta get my front suspension re-installed so I can tackle this next 😄

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
On 4/21/2021 at 1:33 AM, ducnut said:

^^^ Badass!

Yeah!  (And I'm looking at the shop...)

Ciao,

JZH

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
On 4/21/2021 at 10:31 AM, Madfox said:

Seat of the pants dyno says it's making more power

Looking great Madfox! Are you running a Power Commander or Rapid Bike to get more fuel to the now-better-breathing engine?

• Member Contributer
On 4/22/2021 at 11:01 AM, sfdownhill said:

Looking great Madfox! Are you running a Power Commander or Rapid Bike to get more fuel to the now-better-breathing engine?

I'm thinking I'll sell the Rapidbike and get a PCV. I cant justify the cost of the wideband controllers from RB when I'm not getting the full benefit of the Race module on the 5th gen. Turns out Mohawk knows best and i shouldve listened to his advice. So a RB Race module for 6th gen will be in the classifieds soon

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Madfox said:

I'm thinking I'll sell the Rapidbike and get a PCV. I cant justify the cost of the wideband controllers from RB when I'm not getting the full benefit of the Race module on the 5th gen. Turns out Mohawk knows best and i shouldve listened to his advice. So a RB Race module for 6th gen will be in the classifieds soon

Sure...you're selling one in Oceanside a week after mine arrived in San Diego?  :lol:

• Like 2

For one you cannot increase the timing on PV5 which help quite a bit on the Gen 6 two I was under the assumption per the the Rapid Bike web site that :

"The Racing module’s most important benefit is, the so-called Auto-adaptive feature, that is the ability to correct automatically the injection map adjustment by reading the signal of the stock O2 sensor (lambda) while riding the bike."  And I see the O2 compensating in the software.
Honestly in my humble opinion I love my sixth gen track bike which has a RB racing previously a PC3 I noticed a major difference in the entire rev range with the RB nevertheless a few horsepower on top in not going to make a difference in everyday scenarios even when you use a wideband O2 which is faster and more precise.
  • Like 3

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Madfox said:

I'm thinking I'll sell the Rapidbike and get a PCV. I cant justify the cost of the wideband controllers from RB when I'm not getting the full benefit of the Race module on the 5th gen. Turns out Mohawk knows best and i shouldve listened to his advice

Sounds good. Mohawk is definitely a knowledgeable source - he has been invaluable to us throughout the header project. He’s got a very fast, very light 5 gen too...

• Member Contributer

I haven't been on the forum much the last couple of seasons with a hectic job.  Congrats on the headers they sound awesome.  I read through about half of the numerous pages and still could not find the answer that I was looking for, so for that my apologies.  Are these still available if I wanted to purchase a set for my 5th and 6th gen?  Actually I have 2 Gen 5 and a gen 6.  currently they all run great but why not modify if you can right lol.   If not then maybe in the future if there is another production run.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, VFR750F3 said:

For one you cannot increase the timing on PV5 which help quite a bit on the Gen 6 two I was under the assumption per the the Rapid Bike web site that :

"The Racing module’s most important benefit is, the so-called Auto-adaptive feature, that is the ability to correct automatically the injection map adjustment by reading the signal of the stock O2 sensor (lambda) while riding the bike."  And I see the O2 compensating in the software.
Honestly in my humble opinion I love my sixth gen track bike which has a RB racing previously a PC3 I noticed a major difference in the entire rev range with the RB nevertheless a few horsepower on top in not going to make a difference in everyday scenarios even when you use a wideband O2 which is faster and more precise.

There are several of us that have RB Racing modules, but are unable to load the RB software in to Win 10. The install returns an error that something is missing from Win 10, but it can't be updated. If you did successfully, a link to the source for RB software  would be helpful.  Any tips for getting the software loaded  would be appreciated!   

• Member Contributer
43 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

There are several of us that have RB Racing modules, but are unable to load the RB software in to Win 10. The install returns an error that something is missing from Win 10, but it can't be updated. If you did successfully, a link to the source for RB software  would be helpful.  Any tips for getting the software loaded  would be appreciated!   

It might be that you need to download the correct RB drivers for w10. I'd suggest getting in contact with Yaman https://rapidbike.us/

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

I just loaded my software this morning.  When I did, Windows prompted me to install a different version of .NET framework.  I want to say it was 3.5, which is now present on that laptop next to 4.8.  The desktop I'm on already has it, so this may not be the 100% answer...

If you want to see what you've got, type "Windows Features" in the search bar and click on "Turn Windows Features on and off" when it comes up.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Oh, and the RB Master Free version software also asked to update something itself following download...there's that too.

Have not installed my RB Racing or played with this yet, but the software appears to run.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, ShipFixer said:

I just loaded my software this morning.  When I did, Windows prompted me to install a different version of .NET framework.  I want to say it was 3.5, which is now present on that laptop next to 4.8.  The desktop I'm on already has it, so this may not be the 100% answer...

If you want to see what you've got, type "Windows Features" in the search bar and click on "Turn Windows Features on and off" when it comes up.

The .net 3.5 framework rings a bell.  For whatever reason I could not get it to do what RB wanted.  Went to MSFT help forum but did not find an answer.

Is the RB Italian website the place to go to get the software?  I looked on Yaman's site but can't find it.

• Member Contributer

Here's where I got it:

https://rapidbike.us/contact

Don't know why, but the software link is in the contact page.  The website has confused me on a regular basis.  I'm just glad the physical install instructions they mailed with the device are pretty straightforward!

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Following this with some interest.  It seems those who have tried an RB after a PC think it was money well spent, and I am the sort to play with the options. My gen 5 has no stock O2 sensors and I am not averse to spending money, but the full in cost to install an RB with 2 Wideband sensors and MTB modules plus the headers is about what I paid for the bike. I might just bung the pipes on and see how it goes.

• Member Contributer
On 4/27/2021 at 11:35 AM, Dangeruss said:

Following this with some interest.  It seems those who have tried an RB after a PC think it was money well spent, and I am the sort to play with the options. My gen 5 has no stock O2 sensors and I am not averse to spending money, but the full in cost to install an RB with 2 Wideband sensors and MTB modules plus the headers is about what I paid for the bike. I might just bung the pipes on and see how it goes.

I am going to probably do a complete ECU swap with probably a ECU Master ECU. might be a while but having complete control will be nice. covering all the options of the RB for not a hell of a lot more. few things to work out of course.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, lplplplp said:

I am going to probably do a complete ECU swap with probably a ECU Master ECU. might be a while but having complete control will be nice. covering all the options of the RB for not a hell of a lot more. few things to work out of course.

Wow, I did not know that even existed. I have been toying with the idea of Megasquirt on another project but am trying to avoid getting carried away. I bought the VFR because my other bike was turning has turned in to a perpetual occasionally rideable project and I wanted something to just ride. So far I'm struggling with that. :biggrin:

Got my headers a couple of weeks ago and finally got around to the install. Went well for the most part, but there a leak from the front exhaust pipes. Will need to figure that out. Love the way its turned out though. Looking forward to getting it on the road.

313598405_IMG_20210426_175635948(1).jpg

IMG_20210403_104014614.jpg

IMG_20210501_111306105_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210501_172545770_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210501_172636101.jpg

IMG_20210501_204055243.jpg

• Like 4

• Member Contributer
On 5/1/2021 at 7:15 AM, Dangeruss said:

Wow, I did not know that even existed. I have been toying with the idea of Megasquirt on another project but am trying to avoid getting carried away. I bought the VFR because my other bike was turning has turned in to a perpetual occasionally rideable project and I wanted something to just ride. So far I'm struggling with that. :biggrin:

Yeah, its not cheap though (not the black version I am getting) but it is a power house!

yeah I need a second bike so I can "projectify" the other.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Finally got the header mounted.  Welded on a couple extra bungs (front-left and rear-left) so I can tune front to rear lambda. Also welded on the centre stand stopper from the old header.

Had it ceramic coated also.

Question: Does the gen5 and gen8 have a larger exit diameter? cause mine arrived with a tube diameter larger than the OEM exhaust??? I had to chop the end off the OEM exhaust and weld it onto the new one, no biggie for me but I wonder how others with 6th gen's went or did mine get missed during fab I wonder? 

While I had it all apart I also build a new Aluminium Center stand.  It weighs in at about 650g starting some weight loss fabrications to come.

P_20210503_131502.jpg

P_20210503_131529.jpg

P_20210503_190938.jpg

P_20210503_190944.jpg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, lplplplp said:

Question: Does the gen5 and gen8 have a larger exit diameter? cause mine arrived with a tube diameter larger than the OEM exhaust??? I had to chop the end off the OEM exhaust and weld it onto the new one, no biggie for me but I wonder how others with 6th gen's went or did mine get missed during fab I wonder? 

I have the 8th gen and a 2 brothers exhaust and mine wont fit either. Tried the OEM and it didnt fit too. I'm taking the mid pipe for the 2 brothers to a shop this morning to have it expanded so it can fit.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

On the very first post in this thread there are some comments on the design Parameters, One Was that the collEctor diameteR would be 2 inch and mid pipes would need to be modified to suit.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Dangeruss said:

On the very first post in this thread there are some comments on the design Parameters, One Was that the collEctor diameteR would be 2 inch and mid pipes would need to be modified to suit.

I'm an idjit! and getting old! Its been a LONG time since I read the thread, I do remember this bit now.😏

Anyway, I' see how she flies tomorrow!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, lplplplp said:

diameter? cause mine arrived with a tube diameter larger than the OEM exhaust??? I had to chop the end off the OEM exhaust and weld it onto the new one, no biggie for me but I wonder how others with 6th gen's went or did mine get missed during fab I wonder?

Yes, the collector exit has a larger diameter than OEM. We decided to keep the dimensions of the original Two Brothers headers because they are a proven performance benchmark. It’s cool that you are welding-proficient, as those of us without welding skills have had to take our midpipes to a local exhaust/muffler shop and have them expanded (swedged?) to fit the new headers. If you have your midpipe expanded, make sure the tech doing the expansion does it in 3-4 small increments so it doesn’t  split at the slots in the clamping area.