New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer

I’ve been away from the forum, because of life, moving, new job, etc. So glad I decided to grab the opportunity while it was available. My header is still as beautiful as the day I installed it.

33589473-B0EF-471C-B77C-3E7E08191A75.jpeg

• Like 5

• Member Contributer

Got my header in hand!  I should probably ask this on the Rapid Bike thread, but after looking at all the sites (which are not clear)...it looks like the Rapid Bike Race module will work with the wideband O2 sensor bung, and I don't need the You Tune module unless I want to futz with the settings while riding (I do not really...or at least not now).  Should get everything including auto tune, right?

The header is a few items down my work backlog on the bike, so not an urgent thing to figure out now.  Front suspension next, then maybe a rear suspension overhaul.  Bike is running *great* right now with the closed-loop defeat method via key switch that some 5th gen rider figured out so not in a rush.  No annoying surging on the highway at constant throttle...

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Nice vfrcapn, that looks great. Do you have a PC or Rapid Bike installed? Mine are being delivered tomorrow and I can't decide whether to give them a try or if I'll regret it without doing some tuning at the same time.

Also, what type of hugger is that? It looks good with the wheel fully exposed.

• Member Contributer

I have a PC2 but plan to try out a RB in the future. They replaced a TBros header so it was dialed in pretty well I think. I'll have to check on the hugger, iirc it was from Europe.

edit: Hugger is a Skidmarx from UK, not sure who their US distributor is any more.

https://www.skidmarx.co.uk/guards-huggers#/manufacturer-honda/models-vfr800/products-rear_huggers

Edited by vfrcapn
Hugger brand
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
On 4/2/2021 at 12:00 AM, Gotama said:

Now who’s got that thread link to whoever was making that center stand stop for these things ??

You can PM VFRD member Sebspeed - he’s the fabricator who worked up a center stand stop for 6 gen.

18 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

Thanks gents. Took it out Friday for first ride and all seems good! :beer:

Looks awesome with the Wolf vfrcapn - I’ll bet it sounds great too!

• Member Contributer

Chilly New England spring day here, and I finally got my bike to the dyno for tuning.  60 miles to Gardner MA started at 48F and ended up dropping to 45 on the temp gauge.  No matter, this was my slot and Rob's Dyno is booking out to mid-June now... I've had the headers and PCV on for a few weeks now and took a few shakedown rides with it to make sure there were no issues...  

63992333638__81C31B2C-3010-41ED-94A8-F9B11DD75835.thumb.jpeg.ad4c5bc039ba46873e3f44d43d35c214.jpeg

-Stop at Cumbies to warm up.

IMG_0381.thumb.JPG.2b04709d5e543843e5def53da3a30e8b.JPG

-Ready to rock!

Here's the particulars:

• 2000 VFR800, 38k miles on the odo.
  • Headers (of course!)
  • Two Brothers Racing carbon C-series slip-on
  • PAIR Valve and snorkel mods
  • BMC air filter
  • O2 sensors jumped out with 300 ohm resistors
  • Power Commander V

Happy to report Rob was able to tune my 2000 with no issue on the Power Commander V!

63992965383__9D5D00C8-756E-4607-B271-F5FAB97B4F6B.thumb.JPEG.a8c57c709b11edf372df49e6d722acaa.JPEG

The base map's AFR was in the toilet.  He was able to clean that up, and ended up very happy with the results!

It ended up being a wet, cold ride home instead of just cold... so I didn't get to enjoy the ride home too much, but the throttle response and fueling is amazing now.  Thanks for putting this group buy together, and if you're thinking about pulling the trigger, don't wait!

Cheers,

Sean

• Like 5

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, VFR Newbie said:

It ended up being a wet, cold ride home instead of just cold... so I didn't get to enjoy the ride home too much, but the throttle response and fueling is amazing now

Holy smoke - that ride does sound chilly. Glad you were able to make it to the dyno and are happy with the results!

13 hours ago, Dangeruss said:

Mine arrived today, very happy. 

Thanks again to you guys for pulling this off.🍻

It’s always nice at this stage to hear back as folks get their headers and start with the project of gettin’ ‘em on and gettin’ ‘em tuned.

• Member Contributer

Just ordered a Rapid Bike Racing to go with mine when I get around to installing it.  Just to verify, I need an M18 1.5 pitch plug to fill the wideband sensor hole right?  Didn't order the MTB module this time around, maybe later.

• Member Contributer

through customs woohoo....howd the other Aussie recipients go with MyUS.com?

i found them seemless and fuss free.

656728350_Screenshot_20210416-173400248(1).thumb.jpg.49a2f3bd839aeb0cef0fd69fbac6dfc2.jpg

• Like 1

Anyone taken a swing at putting on a set of the new batch of 8th Gen headers? My shop is having trouble getting a good fit of the gaskets. They used the gaskets that were available with the headers. Any feedback or advice on getting these installed leak free?

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, fattiresire said:

Anyone taken a swing at putting on a set of the new batch of 8th Gen headers? My shop is having trouble getting a good fit of the gaskets. They used the gaskets that were available with the headers. Any feedback or advice on getting these installed leak free?

I ended using a et of the OEM gaskets I had on hand, the included gaskets just would not go in the port without deforming.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

I ended using a et of the OEM gaskets I had on hand, the included gaskets just would not go in the port without deforming.

Same with my 5th Gen. I tried flipping them both directions and just couldn’t get them into their seats. I installed a set of new OEM gaskets and moved on. 

On 4/16/2021 at 3:34 PM, fattiresire said:

Wait you all had gaskets with your new headers ?

• Member Contributer

The larger o-rins are a pita - however, I just got them started, and then used a blunt nosed punch to massage them in by hand.  They were slightly deformed, but not enough for concern.  No leaks.  It just took some patience.  The shop wants to get it done and move on so aren't as likely to take the necessary time. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Gotama said:

Wait you all had gaskets with your new headers ?

It was one of two options with the buy.  Slightly wider gaskets that don't intrude into the inner pipe diameter, and passivation.

On 4/16/2021 at 4:34 PM, fattiresire said:

Page 11 of this thread talks about the gaskets. I followed those (and from discussions with a buddy) and ordered a set of 42mm washers from Delkevic. I got on the phone with them yesterday and they said they just had some come in. You might want to hurry up if you want that as they are almost always not in stock (this particular size, no idea why). Been checking for the past 2 weeks before I finally contacted them.

https://delkevic.com/copper-gasket-42-mm/

33 minutes ago, MadDoc said:

Page 11 of this thread talks about the gaskets. I followed those (and from discussions with a buddy) and ordered a set of 42mm washers from Delkevic. I got on the phone with them yesterday and they said they just had some come in. You might want to hurry up if you want that as they are almost always not in stock (this particular size, no idea why). Been checking for the past 2 weeks before I finally contacted them.

https://delkevic.com/copper-gasket-42-mm/

Perfect timing just ordered a set 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Polished! Worth the effort. Seat of the pants dyno says it's making more power. Negative Nancy will say "more noise makes it psychological" but the effect is the same 😏

The gaskets were definitely challenging but I got mine seated with some swearing. Wish I could find a slimmer donut gasket for the 2 Bros midpipe but aluminum foil and copper gasket works for now.

I used these for the bungholios:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078NXL1MF?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

20210416_164330.thumb.jpg.2dc452264b2585f929ecea8e20847ab1.jpg20210416_164231.thumb.jpg.607818eaa5f8f09409b0297bbc67d593.jpg

Many thanks to the Madmen that made this project come together!

• Like 7