New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, boOZZIE said:

I don't know the exact weight but it is mentioned somewhere in this thread... so go stock the fridge with some frothys, plonk yaself in that comfy seat and start from way way way back in the beginning of this journey 🍻🍻

Thanks BoOZZIE,  Duc2V4 helped me out .

16lb

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Gotama said:

So there’s another order 

what are we up to now for production ?

We are currently at 9 deposited orders for 5/6 gen headers and 2 deposited orders for 8 gen headers. We are working on getting Wade (the fabricator) to combine the two configurations toward the minimum order of 15 units.

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Header installed a few months ago and now, finally, scheduled for a dyno tune. Will be installing a PC5 - bike is an 02 with custom header, Micron exhaust cans, hi-flo air filter, using two O2 sensors (front & rear cylinders). So a few questions for the group -

Does anyone have a map for a similar setup? Can you provide any guidance? How were the results?

Need to purchase O2 sensors - what size were the sensor ports - 18mm? Any recommendations for the sensors themselves?

I am going try re-fitting the header, this installation isn't very pretty. Any recommendations for better fitment other than more brute force?

Worthwhile to make a 2nd, race gas map for the occasional track day?

• Member Contributer
On 9/11/2020 at 6:43 AM, jim v said:

Header installed a few months ago and now, finally, scheduled for a dyno tune. Will be installing a PC5 - bike is an 02 with custom header, Micron exhaust cans, hi-flo air filter, using two O2 sensors (front & rear cylinders). So a few questions for the group -

Does anyone have a map for a similar setup? Can you provide any guidance? How were the results?

Need to purchase O2 sensors - what size were the sensor ports - 18mm? Any recommendations for the sensors themselves?

I am going try re-fitting the header, this installation isn't very pretty. Any recommendations for better fitment other than more brute force?

Worthwhile to make a 2nd, race gas map for the occasional track day?

Hi Jim,

I believe the 6 gen map we sent you is a good starting point, though custom dyno tuning done on your own VFR may yield slight improvement. A second map for race fuel is definitely viable, and PCV does provide for a handlebar mounted switch for selecting between maps.

The O2 sensors you want are wideband, usually Bosch (Available from Dynojet and others) and have standard M18 18mm threads (M18x1.5 if I recall correctly).

Installation of the headers on 6 gen does require a bit of trimming to the heat shield attached the the rear fender at the back of the engine, but comes out pretty nice if care is taken.

The force required to install headers might be described as ‘brute’, but only for a minute while joining the main header assembly to the rear primary ‘J-pipes’. The portions of the two rear cylinders’ primaries that run vertically are not parallel, so are a bit tricky to insert into the main assembly.

We look forward to hearing how your project goes.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

(6th gen):

has anybody done any tuning with the rapid bike race and these headers? I'm sure there must some dyno results but I can't seem to find anything. I guess my question is what sort of results are being obtained with some ignition tuning  thrown in on top of what you might get with fuel only?

From what I can gather the 6th gen responds quite well to some ignition 5-6 degrees (?)  esp in the mid range. I also understand that maybe not so much to be gained at the top end.

any thoughts?

cheers!

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, lplplplp said:

(6th gen):

has anybody done any tuning with the rapid bike race and these headers? I'm sure there must some dyno results but I can't seem to find anything. I guess my question is what sort of results are being obtained with some ignition tuning  thrown in on top of what you might get with fuel only?

From what I can gather the 6th gen responds quite well to some ignition 5-6 degrees (?)  esp in the mid range. I also understand that maybe not so much to be gained at the top end.

any thoughts?

cheers!

Duc2V4 has Rapid Bike (RB) with autotune on both his 5 gen with the WiLD headers and his 6 gen w 98/99 catless headers - he is so pleased with the RB autotune performance on both bikes that he hasn’t done any dyno tuning (yet).

We have both looked into dyno tuning w RB, but, like you, haven’t come across the ‘how to’ guide. Seems RB is designed more for letting the autotune make changes and develop mapping for the air/fuel ratio (AFR) the operator selects.

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

Duc2V4 has Rapid Bike (RB) with autotune on both his 5 gen with the WiLD headers and his 6 gen w 98/99 catless headers - he is so pleased with the RB autotune performance on both bikes that he hasn’t done any dyno tuning (yet).

We have both looked into dyno tuning w RB, but, like you, haven’t come across the ‘how to’ guide. Seems RB is designed more for letting the autotune make changes and develop mapping for the air/fuel ratio (AFR) the operator selects.

I assume you can actually edit the maps though??

So officially these are the "WiLD" headers.?

This leads me to another question and that is why does the 6th gen have less power than the 5th gen? is it all in the ignition map? or are the valve lift/port diameters different?

The dyno charts for these headers are all only with the Power commander.

are the throttle bodies the same diameter?

I'm sure all this is answered somewhere but I am still digging.

If you can't tell, I want more power.....or less weight 🙂 

I started looking the motocomposites site last night dammit!

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, lplplplp said:

I assume you can actually edit the maps though??

So officially these are the "WiLD" headers.?

This leads me to another question and that is why does the 6th gen have less power than the 5th gen? is it all in the ignition map? or are the valve lift/port diameters different?

The dyno charts for these headers are all only with the Power commander.

are the throttle bodies the same diameter?

I'm sure all this is answered somewhere but I am still digging.

If you can't tell, I want more power.....or less weight 🙂 

I started looking the motocomposites site last night dammit!

Great questions all, but somewhere in there, some combination of my knowledge, experience and authority has been exceeded - lol - I have a heavy underpowered 5 gen with Power Commander!  (Really all VFRs under 1200cc’s are underpowered - see exceptions below)

Look up threads/posts by VFRD member Mohawk - I believe he is the VFR weight loss champion having lost ~ 34kg off his 5 gen  (Absolutely apologize, HighSideNZ, if I’ve got that wrong and your 6 gen is skinniest!).

HighSideNZ, Mohawk, and CandyRedRC46 all come to mind when I think of the horsepower brokers on this forum - having achieved 120-140+ hp with their VFR800s. You can learn at least 1.5 metric tons from their mods, builds, threads and posts.

Someone running Rapid Bike or familiar with that system should be able to chime in with whether it’s possible for the average user to step into tuning mode and tweak their own fuel map...

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 9/15/2020 at 1:26 AM, sfdownhill said:

Great questions all, but somewhere in there, some combination of my knowledge, experience and authority has been exceeded - lol - I have a heavy underpowered 5 gen with Power Commander!  (Really all VFRs under 1200cc’s are underpowered - see exceptions below)

Look up threads/posts by VFRD member Mohawk - I believe he is the VFR weight loss champion having lost ~ 34kg off his 5 gen  (Absolutely apologize, HighSideNZ, if I’ve got that wrong and your 6 gen is skinniest!).

HighSideNZ, Mohawk, and CandyRedRC46 all come to mind when I think of the horsepower brokers on this forum - having achieved 120-140+ hp with their VFR800s. You can learn at least 1.5 metric tons from their mods, builds, threads and posts.

Someone running Rapid Bike or familiar with that system should be able to chime in with whether it’s possible for the average user to step into tuning mode and tweak their own fuel map...

yeah it (vfr1200) might have 170hp but its a bit of a pig.  but now I look at it the power to weight is quite a bit higher.  always loved the look.

• Member Contributer
On 9/15/2020 at 1:26 AM, sfdownhill said:

140....I assume that's supercharged. if not then where do I sign!

46 minutes ago, lplplplp said:

140....I assume that's supercharged. if not then where do I sign!

Mohawk is not at 140. More like 120 something, I forget exactly what. I've ridden with him and it's a nice quick bike.

I still wonder though at trying to make a bike go faster. Seems a bit of a fool's errand.  Why not just buy the faster bike in the first place. Not like they're in short supply and nothing, I mean NOTHING will ever make a VFR800 go like e.g. a FireBlade. Or a VFR1200 come to think of it.

22 hours ago, lplplplp said:

yeah it (vfr1200) might have 170hp but its a bit of a pig.  but now I look at it the power to weight is quite a bit higher.  always loved the look.

Doesn't have to be anything like a pig. My eVo4's plenty nimble and fast enough. Just ask Mohawk. 😀

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, BiKenG said:

Mohawk is not at 140. More like 120 something, I forget exactly what. I've ridden with him and it's a nice quick bike.

I still wonder though at trying to make a bike go faster. Seems a bit of a fool's errand.  Why not just buy the faster bike in the first place. Not like they're in short supply and nothing, I mean NOTHING will ever make a VFR800 go like e.g. a FireBlade. Or a VFR1200 come to think of it.

challenge accepted! 🙂

150hp is needed to match the 1200 power to weight .... assuming a few pounds of weight loss, so yeah thats a tall order and sounds like supercharger territory, Im sure Ive seen 160hp dyno chart somewhere????

see, I had an aprilia rsv1000 and I spent a lot of time trying to make that thing comfortable. I decided to sell it and now I have a VFR (3 bikes later)

For me at least, I like to modify things. best to start with a bike I really like to ride and mod it....it is MUCH more about the journey and having something unique. sure I can get a K1200 or something but there is a bunch of stuff I don't like about that bike that is insurmountable.

I don't want JUST a fast bike. I want all the things the VFR has to offer and then I start modifying it to make it mine, make it special and enjoy the journey. Turn up on a R1 , the guys say "ok cool there is an R1, nice bike" . Turn up on a supercharged VF800 with trick and custom bits all over it and they say "damn, that thing is sick!!!". not that I care, its more about knowing that it is something I have created.

But that's just me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
16 minutes ago, BiKenG said:

Doesn't have to be anything like a pig. My eVo4's plenty nimble and fast enough. Just ask Mohawk. 😀

sorry, I'm talking out my ass....I have not ridden one.  just looked at the specs. and also the fuel consumption is apparently not great.  but like I said , in that genre its one of the best looking bikes!

1 hour ago, lplplplp said:

challenge accepted! 🙂

150hp is needed to match the 1200 power to weight .... assuming a few pounds of weight loss, so yeah thats a tall order and sounds like supercharger territory, Im sure Ive seen 160hp dyno chart somewhere????

see, I had an aprilia rsv1000 and I spent a lot of time trying to make that thing comfortable. I decided to sell it and now I have a VFR (3 bikes later)

For me at least, I like to modify things. best to start with a bike I really like to ride and mod it....it is MUCH more about the journey and having something unique. sure I can get a K1200 or something but there is a bunch of stuff I don't like about that bike that is insurmountable.

I don't want JUST a fast bike. I want all the things the VFR has to offer and then I start modifying it to make it mine, make it special and enjoy the journey. Turn up on a R1 , the guys say "ok cool there is an R1, nice bike" . Turn up on a supercharged VF800 with trick and custom bits all over it and they say "damn, that thing is sick!!!". not that I care, its more about knowing that it is something I have created.

But that's just me.

Yes I get the customise thing, as Mohawk will testify, I'm not a standard bike kinda guy either. But trying to extract huge power increases, to me means I started with the wrong bike. Particularly as actual engine performance has virtually nothing to do with how fast I may, or can ride.

sorry, I'm talking out my ass....I have not ridden one.  just looked at the specs. and also the fuel consumption is apparently not great.  but like I said , in that genre its one of the best looking bikes!

Don't believe everything you read. Fuel consumption of the VFR1200 is not the problem idiot journalists made it out to be. Not a problem at all.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, BiKenG said:

Yes I get the customise thing, as Mohawk will testify, I'm not a standard bike kinda guy either. But trying to extract huge power increases, to me means I started with the wrong bike. Particularly as actual engine performance has virtually nothing to do with how fast I may, or can ride.

yep you are right, I'll probably not go down that road unless I get a bee in my bonnet. I modify stuff just because I can, if it was a calculated thought process I probably wouldn't be riding bikes at all.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, lplplplp said:

I’m waiting on the Futura V4. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

yep you are right, I'll probably not go down that road unless I get a bee in my bonnet. I modify stuff just because I can, if it was a calculated thought process I probably wouldn't be riding bikes at all.

Can't disagree with you at all there. 😀

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

So HighsideNZ has a 5th gen engine in 6th gen frame, with a 74mm bigbore & all of my mods for 140hp. 

I have a lightweight 5th gen circa 205Kg wet, with 120hp. I'd like to do more to it, but time & money always arrive independently ☹️ I never seem to have both at the same time. 

Happy modding 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So HighsideNZ has a 5th gen engine in 6th gen frame, with a 74mm bigbore & all of my mods for 140hp. 

I have a lightweight 5th gen circa 205Kg wet, with 120hp. I'd like to do more to it, but time & money always arrive independently I never seem to have both at the same time. 

Happy modding
I still have a spare 6th gen engine that I would like to bigbore and do all those mods to add well some day. Unfortunately that project is about 4 or 5 projects back in the que... But I will do it one day since the odds of getting a supercharger kit are basically nil

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I have a lightweight 5th gen circa 205Kg wet, with 120hp. I'd like to do more to it, but time & money always arrive independently I never seem to have both at the same time. 

Happy modding
ahhh, so stock cams? interesting...and the 5th is probably lighter too? getting a second engine and working on that souns like a plan.

Sent from my ASUS_I01WD using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

This thread takes so many twists and turns, never know where the conversation will be when I check back in 🙂

First of all thanks for the answers up thread.

-As others have said, the modifications are part of the fun

-Power/Weight ratio is important but its not the final word - does anyone want to ride a 1000hp/1000lb bike, I certainly don't. Lightness is its own reward, I wish all the resources manufacturers had thrown at increasing power outputs had been focused on reducing weight. A 50hp 275lb bike would be amazing fun

-Speaking of big bore VFRs, the CBR-1000RR-R has a bore/stroke of 81mm by 48.5mm. Approx same stroke as the VFR so you could possibly utilize the lightweight conrods and associated hardware. I wonder if the 81mm bore would work. That would be quite a VFR1000