New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Samuelx said:

Looking Good Billy Ray!!!   😄

Love that carbon rear fender too.  I have to admit that generation VFR looks more modern (it is) and more sleek with fewer unnecessary parts and pieces.  That is one of the most beautiful bikes I've seen.  Congrats on such a nice refresh!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I had my Staintune expanded to fit. I had the header with me, so I could have the midpipe expanded just enough. The exhaust guy was super-careful (he repositioned it 5-6 times), so as to not split it at the notch. Worked out perfect. 

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
On 5/19/2020 at 5:33 PM, Duc2V4 said:

Just to give an update. We currently have a new list going and are at the minimum number we need, just waiting on confirmation of the deposits. Most likely we will be there to move forward within the next week or so. If you are thinking about getting a set, now would be the time to chime in. Send me (Duc2V4) and sfdownhill a PM and we can get you sorted out.

Cheers,

D

I thought I'd add pricing here just to make it easy.

Headers: $830.00

Passivation: $90.00

Gaskets: $20.00 (set of 4)

PC Map: $50.00

Shipping: TBD (Based on your location) Prices range from $50-$90 within the lower 48.

Just checking in here...  We ready to go on the latest set??

THANKS!!  Can't wait to get these on my bike.

Sean

• Member Contributer
On 6/10/2020 at 2:33 PM, boOZZIE said:

😭 do I need to take the exhaust apart and off and install crush gaskets the other way.  Smh.

Nooooo 

If it ain't leaking then don't touch it would be my advice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Member Contributer
On 6/15/2020 at 9:00 AM, ducnut said:

I had my Staintune expanded to fit. I had the header with me, so I could have the midpipe expanded just enough. The exhaust guy was super-careful (he repositioned it 5-6 times), so as to not split it at the notch. Worked out perfect. 

I wish I could find a shop like that. The ones I've been to have been run by some Goober with two front teeth missing and who's got a dirty rag hanging out of his back pocket with a cigarette dangling from his lip.  They look at exhausts as something underneath rusty pickup trucks, and they want to slap it together, stick weld it and send you on your way.  I have one shop that's a bit of a drive to try - they seem to cater to hot rodders and customizers so I'm hoping it might be someone that will be similar to your experience.

I guess once the mid pipe has been expanded there's no going back - it would be too big for the stock headers (thinking of when / if the bike is sold) - haven't figured out any way of filling the gap to go back to a smaller diameter header. 

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, VFR Newbie said:

Just checking in here...  We ready to go on the latest set??

THANKS!!  Can't wait to get these on my bike.

Sean

I believe we hit the minimum number of deposits so Wade should be gearing things up. We'll post up as soon as we have an update.

• Thanks 3

On 6/6/2020 at 6:53 AM, vfrcapn said:

Looks like the 8th gen rads and fan will just fit with the 8g header and 5g fairings, may need to keep the 5g oil cooler though. 

20200604_221918.jpg

Do you have a build thread on this? It would be amazing to delete the dual radiator set up. 

Hopefully there's a third batch of these headers :) 

• Member Contributer

PC Map: $50.00

I'd like to purchase a map - PC3, VFRD headers, Micron cans, Pipercross air filter - who should I contact? Should I upgrade to PC5?

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Check on page 26.  According to the post you will need to PM Darryl to send him the $50 and he will send you the magic map.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, jim v said:

I'd like to purchase a map - PC3, VFRD headers, Micron cans, Pipercross air filter - who should I contact? Should I upgrade to PC5?

Btw there is a separate thread discussing PC III vs PCV and a patch that has been released to allow the map to work on a PCV.  As I understand it the map was developed for the 5th gen on a PCIII.  The problem is they are nonexistent now so I believe people have been forced to use the PCV and try the patch.  Of course I could be wrong about all that....

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, interceptor69 said:

Check on page 26.  According to the post you will need to PM Darryl to send him the $50 and he will send you the magic map.

Perfect, thanks interceptor69, PayPal sent. Looking for that PC3 v PC5 now........

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Cogswell said:

I guess once the mid pipe has been expanded there's no going back - it would be too big for the stock headers (thinking of when / if the bike is sold) - haven't figured out any way of filling the gap to go back to a smaller diameter header. 

I’m not worrying about it. At the point my bike is sold, the value of the individual bits on it will be of no consequence. 

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, dozyproductions said:

Do you have a build thread on this? It would be amazing to delete the dual radiator set up. 

No, I'll post up once I work things out, haven't had much time lately. It looks pretty straightforward though. 

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

15 hours ago, jim v said:

Hi Jim - well, you've found a combination that will need a little more research.

-The map for 6 gen was created with a PCV

-We know it is possible to convert PC3 maps to be used on PCV

-What we don't know [yet] is whether a PCV map can be 'downconverted' to work on a PC3

We did receive your payment for the map and will send the map as soon as it is determined whether [1] you will be able to use the 6 gen map for PCV with your PC3, or [2] you decide to opt up to PCV 

• Member Contributer

Gentlemen, our fellow VFRD member Hammerdrill has run into health problems that have forced him to hang up his riding gear. Sadly, in addition to losing a riding brother, his 6 gen [Named Lola] is now up for sale. This was our 6 gen test bike for dyno tuning on the header project:

• Sad 1

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

RIGHT?!

Give in to the Dark Side! It is your Honda VFR Destiny 😉 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

You're making me want an 8th gen now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My 3G, original owner, will soon be up for sale... No looking back...;) 

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

Gentlemen, our fellow VFRD member Hammerdrill has run into health problems that have forced him to hang up his riding gear. Sadly, in addition to losing a riding brother, his 6 gen [Named Lola] is now up for sale. This was our 6 gen test bike for dyno tuning on the header project:

So looking at the Dynocharts posted on Hammerdill's 6G test bike, they showed a peak HP of 110hp and the Dynocharts I've seen from your 8G test bike was peak HP 103? Is that correct? Was there that much difference? Edit: After looking closer at the 6G specs, I see some additional performance tunes like the ceramic coating on the 6G, but not the 8G test bike .) 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, flya750 said:

So looking at the Dynocharts posted on Hammerdill's 6G test bike, they showed a peak HP of 110hp and the Dynocharts I've seen from your 8G test bike was peak HP 103? Is that correct? Was there that much difference

Flya, you’ve hit on the difficulty in interpreting dyno charts - what do they mean to the way a motorcycle actually rides? If one is lucky enough to take the two motorcycles in question  - Hammerdrill’s 6 gen and Samuelx’s 8 gen - out for a 100 miles or so that includes a bit of city surface streets, a bit of freeway, and healthy helping of one’s favorite twisty roads (I was exactly this lucky), the conclusion drawn would actually be that the 8 gen has more power, and certainly more grunt. This impression comes from the midrange, and my subjective opinion Is that unless we are riding our VFRs on a racetrack or our favorite twisty roads also include 1/2-mile or longer straightaways, we don’t get to tap into the top end power of our motorcycles very often at all. Midrange is where we reside and midrange is what gets us out of a corner. This header project has helped me develop a great respect for torque and hp numbers between 6000 and 10,000 rpms, and it’s taught me the value of professional dyno tuning to precisely and deliberately make both curves - torque and horsepower - smooth and linear so the motorcycle is very pleasantly and eagerly responsive In a predictable manner.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, sfdownhill said:

Flya, you’ve hit on the difficulty in interpreting dyno charts - what do they mean to the way a motorcycle actually rides? If one is lucky enough to take the two motorcycles in question  - Hammerdrill’s 6 gen and Samuelx’s 8 gen - out for a 100 miles or so that includes a bit of city surface streets, a bit of freeway, and healthy helping of one’s favorite twisty roads (I was exactly this lucky), the conclusion drawn would actually be that the 8 gen has more power, and certainly more grunt. This impression comes from the midrange, and my subjective opinion Is that unless we are riding our VFRs on a racetrack or our favorite twisty roads also include 1/2-mile or longer straightaways, we don’t get to tap into the top end power of our motorcycles very often at all. Midrange is where we reside and midrange is what gets us out of a corner. This header project has helped me develop a great respect for torque and hp numbers between 6000 and 10,000 rpms, and it’s taught me the value of professional dyno tuning to precisely and deliberately make both curves - torque and horsepower - smooth and linear so the motorcycle is very pleasantly and eagerly responsive In a predictable manner.

In simple terms, max. power only determines top speed. Torque determines how quickly you get there.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Going from memory so I maybe wrong but as stock bikes hp figures for the 6g was down slightly over 5g, and 8g slightly over 6g.

however the 8g did have a better torque curve from lower down

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

If one is lucky enough to take the two motorcycles in question  - Hammerdrill’s 6 gen and Samuelx’s 8 gen - out for a 100 miles or so that includes a bit of city surface streets, a bit of freeway, and healthy helping of one’s favorite twisty roads (I was exactly this lucky),

You earned it Brother, and then some!  :D

• Like 2