New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer
On 5/16/2020 at 8:19 PM, vfrcapn said:

Thanks. I was thinking of squeezing the 8th gens oil cooler in but I'm not sure there's going to be enough space, still need to place everything and figure out the hose and line routing.

Looks like the 8th gen rads and fan will just fit with the 8g header and 5g fairings, may need to keep the 5g oil cooler though. 

20200604_221918.jpg

• Like 7

• Member Contributer
On 6/5/2020 at 10:27 PM, Duc2V4 said:

OK folks, getting near go time, we are one deposit away from making this happen, if you're sitting on the fence or know someone who might want in, please step up and join the fray!

Howdy!

I just spent nearly 6 hours reading the whole story from this and the original thread back from 2016 (one heck of a story that is!). I JUST saw this comment and I do NOT want this ship to sail without me!

I just purchased a clapped 00' veefer a month ago, and have been repairing her ever since I've picked her up. 

For those who have their's already, what mufflers are you running? I'd like to know what's out there!

(I need to create an account really quickly so DM's are available, so give me a hot minute.)

Thanks! 😄 

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
27 minutes ago, Ughandi said:

Howdy!

I just spent nearly 6 hours reading the whole story from this and the original thread back from 2016 (one heck of a story that is!). I JUST saw this comment and I do NOT want this ship to sail without me!

I just purchased a clapped 00' veefer a month ago, and have been repairing her ever since I've picked her up. 

For those who have their's already, what mufflers are you running? I'd like to know what's out there!

(I need to create an account really quickly so DM's are available, so give me a hot minute.)

Thanks! 😄 

Wow that's some staying power to read the entire thread.  👏

Wait what and the previous 1  🍻🥃🥃

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, boOZZIE said:

Wow that's some staying power to read the entire thread.

It was simple, really. Fridge is now low on beverages though ;D 

I have got to head to bed, though. Cant wait to hear from yall after sun-up!

I have been following this thread with interest, but have rather lost track of what's available.

I am interested in a system that would fit a 5th Gen 800 motor, with 8th Gen front rads and high level underseat mufflers like the 6th Gen. I expect to have to make my own link pipe to the high level mufflers I will be using. Would I be correct in thinking that this is all possible with one of these systems?

If so, then I'd like to place a deposit for final delivery to the UK.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, BiKenG said:

I have been following this thread with interest, but have rather lost track of what's available.

I am interested in a system that would fit a 5th Gen 800 motor, with 8th Gen front rads and high level underseat mufflers like the 6th Gen. I expect to have to make my own link pipe to the high level mufflers I will be using. Would I be correct in thinking that this is all possible with one of these systems?

If so, then I'd like to place a deposit for final delivery to the UK.

I think VFRcapn is working through the 8th gen rads on a 5th gen engine using the 8th gen headers. I bought a set of 8th gen headers for a similar reason. The link pipe and undertail silencers will be all you... let us know how it goes!

• Member Contributer

Just sent in my deposit! 😄

I can't wait for y'all to get started on the next batch-o-pipes!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

I think VFRcapn is working through the 8th gen rads on a 5th gen engine using the 8th gen headers. I bought a set of 8th gen headers for a similar reason. The link pipe and undertail silencers will be all you... let us know how it goes!

I'll be running my underseat Wolf system with this header if all goes to plan. 

• Member Contributer

Finally getting ready to install my new header on the 8G.

I've been told that the crush gasket seam goes toward the engine header?

But I've seen a difference of opinions on the which way the seam goes?

Check out this video? This mechanic claims the seam should go outward, away from the engine head?

I've also found others saying the seam goes outward..."Flat side in, on the engine head. Exhaust manifold seals onto the chamfer (round with seam) side. Torque headers accordingly"

I figure there has to be a 100% manufacturer recommendation? Seam facing inward or seam facing outward?

• Member Contributer

seem facing out from engine.

If you have it the other way, when crushed the seem will/may be catching the gases if it is outside of the internal wall of header.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, boOZZIE said:

seem facing out from engine.

If you have it the other way, when crushed the seem will/may be catching the gases if it is outside of the internal wall of header.

This has been discussed.  If installed correctly, it should not interfere with the exhaust gas flow at all.

• Member Contributer
23 minutes ago, VFR Newbie said:

This has been discussed.  If installed correctly, it should not interfere with the exhaust gas flow at all.

Yeah, I'm not looking for what has been discussed? I'm looking for anyone who knows 100% what the manufacturer's intentions are for proper installation? I don't find anything on Delkevic's website?

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 5/9/2019 at 2:35 AM, GreginDenver said:

I just finished the final install of the header, it's midnight here in Denver but I went ahead and rolled the bike outdoors to run it.  The install is a success, no leaks, sounds great.  I let the bike idle up to about 170 degrees on the temp gauge then shut it down and pushed it back into its parking spot in my garage.

In the end I decided to use the 41mm copper gaskets from Delkevic.  They are just a little less than twice as fat as the 42mm copper gaskets that Delkevic sells.  Because they are fatter I knew that during the installation "crush" they would probably end up spreading inward to about the same inner diameter as the original Honda OEM gaskets.

I didn't like how much the OEM gasket protruded into the exhaust flow and wanted my install to be better than that, so I decided to experiment a little.

I purchased 8 of the 41mm copper gaskets directly from Delkevic at their location in Littleton, CO.  Got to meet and chat with Matt (at Delkevic), he was very friendly and helpful.  I modified the 41mm gaskets by "pre-pinching" them inward, only by a little bit around the outside perimeter and then by as much as possible around the inner perimeter.  I did this so that when the crush of the install occurred the gasket would have a smaller starting point from which to spread.

The results were pretty good.  I practiced installing a couple of my "pre-pinched" 41mm copper gaskets on the front cylinders and after the crush they ended up with an inner diameter that was noticeably wider than the original Honda gaskets (although they do protrude slightly above the inner edges of the exhaust ports).

So I'm satisfied, the modified 41mm gaskets provide a very good, generous footing for the end of the header to bed into and their inner diameter is better (wider) than the OEM gaskets. 

Good enough for me.  On to other maintenance items...

Go back to page 19.

Honda Service Manual does not mention anything about seam.  IMHO this guy is making a big deal about nothing.  Again... the exhaust gasket, if properly installed, should be squished between the exhaust header and head opening.  There should not be any part that is in the flow of the exhaust gasses.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

I just got this email from Delkevic....I guess it's official., see below....Do what ever the frick you want? LOL!!  Oy Vey!  I think I will put the seam going inward as recommended by SFDownHill

I don't see how the gasket will crush and protrude into the exhaust flow? 

"------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The gasket is designed to crush when the header is installed. The seam placement is inconsequential.

Kind Regards,

Matt

Delkevic US

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, VFR Newbie said:

I would agree if we lived in a perfect world but...

Shit happens

Risk mitigation is what its about🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VFR Newbie said:

Go back to page 19.

Honda Service Manual does not mention anything about seam.  IMHO this guy is making a big deal about nothing.  Again... the exhaust gasket, if properly installed, should be squished between the exhaust header and head opening.  There should not be any part that is in the flow of the exhaust gasses.

You really don't know what you're talking about.  This will probably piss you off, but it's the truth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, boOZZIE said:

I would agree if we lived in a perfect world but...

Shit happens

Risk mitigation is what its about🙂

I've always tended to place the split against the head as I've seen thin headers open the gasket up and then they burn.

My 2 cents worth

Phil

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, TheLimey said:

I'm definitely more of an over man, myself. 

2020-06-09_07-15-00

Oops, wrong forum...

Nope, maybe that is the perfect comparison 😀

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, HighSideNZ said:

I've always tended to place the split against the head as I've seen thin headers open the gasket up and then they burn.

My 2 cents worth

Phil

😭 do I need to take the exhaust apart and off and install crush gaskets the other way.  Smh.

Nooooo 

• Member Contributer

Check out these crush gaskets for the 2015 VF800FD. They may be better than the Delkevic crush gaskets?

Description

"Very high quality copper covered fiber exhaust gasket.  Sold individually.

• Flexible fiber core
  • Soft copper exterior
  • Can be stacked for problematic head pipes
  • Sold individually"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Interceptor-800-VFR800FD-Deluxe-2014-2015-Head-Pipe-Exhaust-Gasket/162508919192?hash=item25d6495198%3Ag%3AATgAAOSwd0tdt8dS&fits=Year%3A2015|Model%3AInterceptor+800|Make%3AHonda

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, flya750 said:

Check out these crush gaskets for the 2015 VF800FD. They may be better than the Delkevic crush gaskets?

Description

"Very high quality copper covered fiber exhaust gasket.  Sold individually.

• Flexible fiber core
  • Soft copper exterior
  • Can be stacked for problematic head pipes
  • Sold individually"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Interceptor-800-VFR800FD-Deluxe-2014-2015-Head-Pipe-Exhaust-Gasket/162508919192?hash=item25d6495198%3Ag%3AATgAAOSwd0tdt8dS&fits=Year%3A2015|Model%3AInterceptor+800|Make%3AHonda

Size matters... check ID & OD dimensions. OEM sized exhaust gaskets do squish and stick out into the exhaust gas stream with these headers. That’s why Lance and Darryl sourced the larger diameter Delkevic gaskets to help optimize the performance of these headers.  

• Like 4

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, Rush2112 said:

Size matters... check ID & OD dimensions. OEM sized exhaust gaskets do squish and stick out into the exhaust gas stream with these headers. That’s why Lance and Darryl sourced the larger diameter Delkevic gaskets to help optimize the performance of these headers.  

ah.. okay... make sense.. Thanks!