New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Duc2V4 said:

Oh yeah, in regards to the K&N air filter recommendation, it was selected as the one used for the Dyno tuned bike, so we have a known working sample. No other airbox or intake mods were done on any of the bikes as far as I recall. Note however that K&N has two models of the air filter BUT both have the same part number (Go figure?!). One of them however has a much larger square inch coverage with the filter material. Not sure how to order and get the latter one other than possibly call K&N directly.

IIRC, if you order direct from K&N, you’ll get the larger filter element. I speculate the smaller element is an older-style filter that some distributors may have had leftover. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ordered one from a supplier and it indeed was the "big mouth" version.  The K&N that came with the bike was the older one with less area.  Still good but I wanted max air flow.  So, I just ended up selling.   I'm thinking any supplier should have the updated version unless by chance they still have old stock (NOS).  So, get one from one of the bigger places, assuming they are moving inventory more than the smaller distributors.  Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, smokescreen said:

How many 8th gen headers are left?

I just bought a 2014 with an Arrow slip-on. I assume there would be no fitment issues and the sound would be divine. My shop has our own dyno and I'm interested in seeing what kind of power I can make with the right mods. You guys recommend K&N for the filter right? Any other intake mods on the 8th gen? 

What about the centerstand? Have people had issues with the stock clearances? Mine isn't a deluxe but the dealer installed the stand anyway.

I read through this thread as best as I could and appreciate the work SF et al. have done for the community. I look forward to possibly supporting the efforts here.

So I spoke with SF today. He said if people want in for another batch, please feel free to PM the both of us and let us know, we’ll put you on the list...

• Member Contributer

Can someone tell me the size of the filter area of the larger one? I bought one way back in 1998. I don't know if I have the larger or the smaller.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
29 minutes ago, interceptor69 said:

Can someone tell me the size of the filter area of the larger one? I bought one way back in 1998. I don't know if I have the larger or the smaller.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2AF98B2D-C11C-4EC0-9E30-36838DCE70CB.jpeg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
On 4/21/2020 at 10:36 PM, Rush2112 said:

... The reason I asked the question is it has been my experience with stainless steel storage tanks and other equipment we always passivated after polishing the tanks.  I wasn't sure if polishing the headers after passivation could compromise or remove part of the oxide layer and leave the polished headers more susceptible to rust and corrosion.

On 4/22/2020 at 8:40 AM, TheLimey said:

I can't see why it would. The net result with passivation and polishing/wire brushing is all the same; you're revealing a fresh top surface of metal to allow the chrome content to oxidise. Once it's reacted with the atmosphere it forms a boundary layer preventing further oxidation beneath it. I think the only benefit of passivation over mechanical methods is it's quicker, removes virtually no material and can get into all the nooks and crannies around the weld beads. 

I checked with my engineer and passivation and polishing/wire brushing are not the same net effect with 304 stainless steel.  304 stainless steel is more than 50% iron, around 20% chromium and about 10% nickel.  Passivation dissolves the iron on the surface leaving the chromium, nickel, and other trace elements on the surface.  These metals left on the surface oxidize when air dried after the acid treatment and form the protective oxide layer that prevents the iron underneath from oxidizing (rust).  Polishing/wire brushing exposes fresh top surface of metal; in 304 stainless steel this is more than 50% iron so when the oxides form it doesn't make a protective barrier because of all the iron on the surface.  It was explained to me that is why we passivate the equipment in the food processing plants after polishing them.

@Ducnut, your headers look awesome and I congratulate you on getting them to a show bike finish.  304 stainless has corrosion resistance but this resistance decreases as temperatures rise, which unfortunately exhaust pipes get hot.  Also, 304 stainless will corrode when exposed to chlorides at higher temps.  Most of us ride in nice weather so it may not be an issue at all.  If I can offer some friendly feedback, keep them clean, dry, and away from road salt (sodium chloride) to keep them looking great and avoid potential corrosion at the welds... or passivate them before installing.  Your bike, your call.

Have fun and be safe!

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
On 4/21/2020 at 10:58 PM, smokescreen said:

How many 8th gen headers are left?

I just bought a 2014 with an Arrow slip-on. I assume there would be no fitment issues and the sound would be divine. My shop has our own dyno and I'm interested in seeing what kind of power I can make with the right mods. You guys recommend K&N for the filter right? Any other intake mods on the 8th gen? 

Hi smokescreen. As Duc2V4 mentioned, the first run of 8 gen headers is sold, but we have started a list of deposits placed toward the next run. The fabricator only needs six orders to do production run, not the fifteen that were required earlier.

Your 2014 with K&N HA-8098 air filter and Arrow slipon will rock with a set of headers. The 8 gen has a newer cam design that emphasizes midrange, and the headers really kick that into gear - 16% increase in both hp and torque at 7000rpm.

Having a dyno in your shop is a huge bonus - you’ll be able to dabble with VFRD member Mohawk’s big airbox mod, and maybe a double velocity stack setup once you’ve opened up the airbox. Mohawk is definitely ‘Da Man’ (Actually he’s one of many Da Men here) when it comes to doing excellent work and getting a VFR to howl. 5, 6, and 8 gens share the same shape airbox, so these 5 gen mods could be done on your 2014:

Oops - here’s part 1 of the velocity stacks thread:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Rush2112 said:

I checked with my engineer and passivation and polishing/wire brushing are not the same net effect with 304 stainless steel.  304 stainless steel is more than 50% iron, around 20% chromium and about 10% nickel.  Passivation dissolves the iron on the surface leaving the chromium, nickel, and other trace elements on the surface.  These metals left on the surface oxidize when air dried after the acid treatment and form the protective oxide layer that prevents the iron underneath from oxidizing (rust).  Polishing/wire brushing exposes fresh top surface of metal; in 304 stainless steel this is more than 50% iron so when the oxides form it doesn't make a protective barrier because of all the iron on the surface.  It was explained to me that is why we passivate the equipment in the food processing plants after polishing them.

Cool. You learn something new every day. 

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

@Ducnut, your headers look awesome and I congratulate you on getting them to a show bike finish.  304 stainless has corrosion resistance but this resistance decreases as temperatures rise, which unfortunately exhaust pipes get hot.  Also, 304 stainless will corrode when exposed to chlorides at higher temps.  Most of us ride in nice weather so it may not be an issue at all.  If I can offer some friendly feedback, keep them clean, dry, and away from road salt (sodium chloride) to keep them looking great and avoid potential corrosion at the welds... or passivate them before installing.  Your bike, your call.

Have fun and be safe!

I’m not going to sweat it, as this bike is a fair-weather-only bike. To me, polished stainless is a regular maintenance item, just like polished aluminum, and I regularly wipe down all my polished stuff with a bit of metal polish. When they get beyond that, I just happen to have the equipment necessary to keep them up, so no big deal. 

In central IL, one doesn’t dare drive anything nice, if they want to keep it nice, until well into the spring (my Tiger 800 is covered in corrosion, from riding through winter). The idiots at the highway dept just can’t resist getting their chloride truck out on the local highways. My buddy in the auto repair business stays busy with changing complete brake and fuel line systems, calipers, coil springs, etc, because of the chloride. It’s stupid, around here. Road salt never did the amount of damage we see, now. 

2 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

Thanks. I think I have the smaller one. Bummer...

I wouldn’t worry about it. I’m pretty certain there’s plenty of airflow capability in the older K&N to easily support the ~105rwhp these bikes make. 

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

So I was thinking that these headers should be given a name, rather than some generic term and something that pays respect to the unobtainium makers.

Wade industries, Lance and Darryl 

What do y'all think?

W i L D  VFR headers

🍻

• Like 7

12 hours ago, boOZZIE said:

So I was thinking that these headers should be given a name, rather than some generic term and something that pays respect to the unobtainium makers.

What do y'all think?

W i L D  VFR headers

🍻

I like it!

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, boOZZIE said:

What do y'all think?

W i L D  VFR headers

🍻

Love it!

On 4/22/2020 at 7:19 AM, Duc2V4 said:

Oh yeah, in regards to the K&N air filter recommendation, it was selected as the one used for the Dyno tuned bike, so we have a known working sample. No other airbox or intake mods were done on any of the bikes as far as I recall. Note however that K&N has two models of the air filter BUT both have the same part number (Go figure?!). One of them however has a much larger square inch coverage with the filter material. Not sure how to order and get the latter one other than possibly call K&N directly.

DSC02273.thumb.JPG.1430ee7c42615cd123e2267035d78efd.JPG

• Member Contributer
On 4/28/2020 at 10:17 PM, boOZZIE said:

What do y'all think?

W i L D  VFR headers

🍻

Hmmm . . . they were patterned off 2 Brothers headers - Wade, Lance & Darryl - maybe 3 Brothers?  Dunno . . .

• Member Contributer

With their unwillingness to help there shall be no NO reference to the dos hermanas 😆 .

They will realise the W i L D  Headers could have been their sales.    😈MWAHAHAHA

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Member Contributer

Nice job guys all around. Test fit the 8th gen header to my 5th gen and it seems to line up well. The water and oil plumbing are going to need to be re-done with new rads but I expected that. The Wolf pipe looked lined up too.

header1.thumb.jpg.2a2e70ea266cbc53e81b77612a559d96.jpg

header2.thumb.jpg.aec64a016001cf987b1e5e2bb84415b9.jpg

header3.thumb.jpg.1481411f67c46329973ae783afb47f34.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 3/14/2020 at 2:35 AM, HighSideNZ said:

I've got the 8th gen headers fitted to my 6th gen with the 5th gen engine.

There is heaps of clearance between the headers and the fairings.

Phil

Phil, How did you place an oil cooler? I can't find your old build thread.

• Member Contributer

As my bike is a Gen6 with Gen5 engine, my cooler is in the original position.

I didn't need to do anything with it apart from making up new lines and I used AeroQuip type fittings and braided hose.

• Member Contributer

F it.  Quarantine brain and reading through all of this has finally broke me down.  Deposit sent.  Sorry Scottie, I can't steal your set... you need to hold onto them.

• Member Contributer

Hi Everyone

Will there be another group buy for the "TBR headers"? or can anyone let me know how can I order ones?
I currently have stock 98 catless headers, with a high mounted 450mm delkevic silencer with custom corners.

Many Thanks for your help 😃