New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer

paid up too .  

love this forum and the passionate people in/on it.  ....

parts of what brought me back to a honda V4 all be it a 20yr old 5th gen. 

Thank you all

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Hey guys

Back on the RapidBike Racing and the Gen 8 VFR.

Here is the RB Application table showing the Gen 8 does use the single 12mm narrow band O2 as long as you buy the correct kit and wiring loom.

I've highlighted the parts in question.

image.thumb.png.8636b5537539d71e6d852fb8472cd6fc.png

Cheers

Phil

PS. The new Gen 8 headers on my modded Gen6/5 are working really well after I added 2 18mm bungs to support the factory narrow bands.

The RB MyTuningBike unit is working really well and the power is much more spread compared to my home built system, based on the Shark RC45 system, I've been running for the past years.

Good investment all rounds.

Phil

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, boOZZIE said:

Any update on 5/6g round 2 ?

SF and I were texting one another on Monday while he was meeting with Wade. Looks like he’s moving forward ordering the parts and pieces. Since SF was the one who last spoke with Wade, I’ll let him give the details as far as timelines and such.  Note that his and my work schedules are pretty full, so updates may be late evening or near end of the week. If not for having to wait for my client to show up, I’d probably not be lurking here right now. 

End of year always seems to through a wrench in the works but we’re looking good here now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Read this whole thread and you guys are unbelievable, well done! I really want to buy a set for my 5th gen and would happily pay up now and have them sent to Australia if i'm not too late!! 

• Member Contributer

Hi Dibbles - thanks for your interest mate. I sent you a PM and invited Duc2V4 to the conversation so we can hook you up.

UPDATE - yes, it is definitely time for a header update. I wasn’t able to catch Wade before he lit out to go motocross sidecar racing this weekend - yes, he’s that crazy, but he is also a class champion in SoCal moto sidecars and knows his way around a racetrack. I will connect with him Monday to get a delivery date on the 15 sets of 5/6 gen headers that are currently in production.

• Member Contributer

Dynojet now provides a patch that enables Power Commander V [PCV] to work with 2000-2001 5th gen VFRs! It's true! At least Dynojet says it's true. Dynojet is the company that manufactures Power Commander and has provided the file along with instructions for downloading it to a PCV. We haven't put it to the test yet, but are eagerly looking forward to doing so.

Thanks to VFRD member Rob916 for poking us with a stick about this topic and getting us to post this info.

Last week Jozef helped connect us with Dusty Schaller at Dynojet [Some might recall that Jozef is the dyno tech at Attack Performance where we did all the dyno testing/tuning of the new performance headers]. Dusty is the product manager of Power Commander and sent the attached file along with these instructions:

"You need to update the PCV to this datafile [the file attached below].  The only way to do this currently is with Power Core software using Dyno control.  Open Dyno control and go to Support – Send data file.

To get Power core go here - https://www.dynojet.com/downloads/power-vision-3/  Scroll down to Software"

Here is the file:

B16-005.02.ddat

If anyone gets a chance to try this before we run it on our 2001 5 gen test bike, please post your procedure and results here as soon as possible.

• Like 4

• Member Contributer

VFR members JZH and Duc2V4 prompted me to take Dusty's instructions out for a test spin. The info below is also posted on the 5th gen forum.

The software is indeed intended to act as interface between a technician and a Dynojet dyno, but the program was free to download and came in a 123.88mb zip file. Power Core version 2.1.1 loaded easily onto my PC and includes four applications for operating and using a dyno for tuning. The Dyno Control app within the Power Core suite opened and under the support tab, the app was indeed ready to 'send data file', but I don't have a Power Commander V here to test the procedure.

So the software and process are available, free, and viable, but we'll need someone with a 2000-2001 5th gen that has a PCV installed to verify that the patch file actually saves the day.

• Member Contributer

Header production update - I spoke with Wade today, and learned that the current run of 15 sets of 5/6 gen headers will be completed in two weeks. He had a small delay related to the company that supplies tubing merge assemblies for our headers. Add one week for passivation, and we are 3 weeks from shipping.

Thanks to everyone who been staying in touch about this production run.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• Member Contributer

That's great news sfdownhill, thanks for the update .

Just some info for others that may come along later on ,   will Wade make one offs or will he be sticking with batch orders in the future? 

Looking forward to them coming in

Cheers mate 

• Member Contributer

Hi rlindquist,

There is a production run of headers for 5th gen and 6th gen being built now; those headers fill orders guys placed a couple months ago.

From your VFRD profile, it appears that you have one of the beautiful 2007 red, white, and blue anniversary 6th gens - good choice of ride.

To get a set of headers, place a deposit by making a $200 paypal transfer to the paypal account of vfrheaders@gmail.com. You'll be #2 on the next order we place [A production run achieves go status when we have orders for six or more headers]

-  Be sure to send the transfer 'SENDING TO A FRIEND' so paypal doesn't take out 5%

- In the note section of the paypal transfer, include

[1] your VFRD username

[2] which generation of VFR you'll be putting the headers onto

[3] your real name [if different than the name on your paypal account]

[4] your shipping address

[5] whether you want to have the headers passivated

[Passivation is detailed in the PM we sent you].

PM us if you have any questions.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Update - more 5th/6th gen headers will be available on the current production run. We connected with our fabricator Wade yesterday, and there is good news. He is building a few extra sets of headers for 5th/6th gen VFRs, so they are available if anyone was thinking about the next production run. The company Wade uses to do the mandrel bending of tubes bent a few extra sets, so Wade ordered the tubing merge assemblies and hardware needed to complete them. These are part of the current production run and will all have 3 bungs for O2 sensors, which means your options are open as far as 2 OEM O2 sensors, one autotune O2 sensor, one O2 sensor for dyno tuning, etc. Passivation - an acid bath for the headers [described in depth earlier in this thread] remains an option - $90 if you want it.

• Like 4

• Member Contributer

I don't recall seeing this, so please forgive me if I'm repeating something posted previously.  FWIW I have my 6th gen OEM cans (catback) and headers off for some other work, so I thought prior to install I'd compare the weight to that of Wade's headers and my Remus catback setup (including its "Y" pipe).  This was done on a digital bathroom scale (holding each then re-weighing myself without and subtracting) so there is a margin of error baked in.  At any rate it came out as (rounded to the nearest pound):

OEM       32 lbs

Wade's    22 lbs

Cheers

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Update - the current production run of headers has been completed! Wade is finishing off by adding the last few bungs, and we will head up to his shop to pick them up next Monday, then drop them off at the passivators.

Thanks to everyone for their patience and support.

Cogswell - thanks for the excellent weight comparison.

Those of us who have installed the new headers have all been reveling in the throttle response and torque - here’s a quote from VFRD member Vfr800witdawaffle after he installed his 8 gen headers:

”So guys....I rode the bike today with the new headers and my lord!!! My bike is literally scary now. I feel like I have to hold onto the bars for dear life as this demon of a bike growls and propels me forward with the speed of a space X rocket. Traction control constantly kicks in if I try to gun it in first and second gear. Now I have trouble trying to accelerate in 1st and second. Also I don’t have the rapid bike module yet and it’s running super rich but It might have adjusted. When I first started the bike a whole bunch of I unburnt fuel was spraying out the headers for a little and then it calmed down. I’m also running it straight piped right now but I’m going to buy the module before I ride it again so I don’t mess the engine up. Thank you guys so much for being the ones that made this all happen!”

Rock on Vfr800witdawaffle!

• Like 9

• Member Contributer
45 minutes ago, kave said:

I don't know why I didn't get in on this sooner.  If there is a 5th gen header available in this batch - i'll take it.

Yes we do. I'll send you a PM with the info on how you need to proceed.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Did anyone every figure out what exactly needs to be done to fit this on a 6th gen to a Staintune slipon?

• Member Contributer
11 minutes ago, RC51Nick said:

Did anyone every figure out what exactly needs to be done to fit this on a 6th gen to a Staintune slipon?

For starters, you will want to reach out to Sebspeed (a forum member here) and obtain a center stand stop. That is,  unless you want to remove your center stand or have another option. Secondly, the exit pipe of the headers diameter is 2" O.D. so if your Staintune mid-pipe opening is smaller than that, you'll want to take it to a muffler shop and have them expand the end to 2" I.D.  to slip fit onto the headers. If the mid-pipe opening is lager than 2" I.D., you can either use a gasket or a shim to make up the for gap. For my 5 Gen with a 2 Bro high-mount can, I ended up using an aluminum shim that was 1/16 inch thick by 2" wide and just made a cylinder out of it and slipped it over the header, slipped the mid-pipe over that and it works like a charm!

• Like 4

• Member Contributer

well I can believe it has taken so long, I got one of the headers from the first batch, just ordered a rapidbike race tonight, I will be installing the headers this month cant wait to ride 🙂

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

For starters, you will want to reach out to Sebspeed (a forum member here) and obtain a center stand stop. That is,  unless you want to remove your center stand or have another option. Secondly, the exit pipe of the headers diameter is 2" O.D. so if your Staintune mid-pipe opening is smaller than that, you'll want to take it to a muffler shop and have them expand the end to 2" I.D.  to slip fit onto the headers. If the mid-pipe opening is lager than 2" I.D., you can either use a gasket or a shim to make up the for gap. For my 5 Gen with a 2 Bro high-mount can, I ended up using an aluminum shim that was 1/16 inch thick by 2" wide and just made a cylinder out of it and slipped it over the header, slipped the mid-pipe over that and it works like a charm!

Thank you Duc2V4..