New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

With this arrangement You can use a single Rapidbike wide band O2 sensor in conjunction with your 2 stock O2 sensors. The Rapidbike will send a constant message to your ECU that everything is cool with the fuel mixture and and you won’t get any error codes for missing O2 sensors while the wide band sensor will adjust the actual A/F ratio to whatever you target. This will keep you from throwing “Check Engine” error codes and entering “Limp Home” mode because the O2 sensors are actually reading a too rich condition (if you target 13.1 A/F ratio for optimum power).

You are correct though, putting three 18mm bungs would have been more flexible because it would have allowed the use of two wide band O2 sensors for those who wanted too but you would have to have wired in resistors into the stock O2 sensors wiring harness to trick the ECU into thinking the stock sensors are still there.  
The current set up is the most user friendly and easiest to set up for the greatest number of people. 

Sorry, 5.5 gen and 6th gen have two stock O2 sensors... I think 8th gen has one. I apologize if I caused any confusion. The same explanation applies though. 

• Member Contributer

Hi Wingate - and thanks Rush for helping fill in a couple blanks.

Short version - we hope Rapid Bike autotune feature adapts to 8 gens the same way it adapts to 2000-2001 5 gens and all 6 gens - that RB leaves the single 12mm OEM O2 sensor on the 8 gen connected and employs a single added 18mm wideband O2 sensor to send air/fuel readings to the RB. This is what the headers are configured for.

But we are not certain whether this is the case. Yet. We hope.

We selected one 12mm bung so guys who bought the new headers could still use their single 12mm OEM O2 sensor. VFRD member Samuelx, owner of the 8 gen test bike, is using Power Commander 5 and has kept his OEM O2 sensor and all is well - no FI warning light or other flags. It is not an autotune system. On Samuelx's bike we were able to use the 18mm bung for Attack Performance's wideband sensor when the bike was on their dyno - this is more accurate than a 'sniffer' inserted into the tailpipe. We did have to purchase a 12" extension cable for the OEM O2 sensor to reach back to the new headers' collector exit, because placing the 12mm bung in the collector exit pushed it 12" further back than the front-of-catalytic-converter position of the OEM bung. This position allows air/fuel readings from all four cylinders combined. 

[The O2 sensor extension cable sells for $11 on ebay and is described as being for Honda Civic autos. Do NOT purchase the 12" O2 sensor extension cable for Acuras you might find on ebay, as it looks like it uses the same connector, but it does not. Ask me how I know].

We added the 18mm bung to 8 gen headers - also in the collector exit where it samples gases from all four cylinders - so that the wideband O2 sensor that Rush2112 described as a "single Rapidbike wide band O2 sensor" would function properly on 8 gen VFRs.

We know the Rapid Bike autotune can use the third [wideband] sensor along with the two OEM sensors on 2000-2001 5 gen VFRs and all 6 gen VFRs [Duc2V4 is using this setup on both his 2001 and on his 2009]. After checking in with Duc2V4, neither of us are certain that one must use three sensors with a RB autotune on 5, 6, OR 8 gen VFRs.

This is strictly a guess on my part, but it might be that RB sets up their autotune system to use the two OEM sensors on VFRs that have two OEM bungs/sensors simply because the two bungs are there, and they both happen to be full of sensors. I think I recall that with RB wideband sensors are an upgrade option, but OEM narrow band can be used - I could be wrong here. Duc2V4 can speak to this [And I hope he will - I'm floundering a bit].

What we hope for 8 gen owners who purchase new headers and are aiming for a RB with autotune is that RB sets up their system for 8 gen to use one 18mm wideband O2 sensor in conjunction with the single OEM sensor in the 12mm bung.

[Please note the amount of restraint required to not add 'hole' after 'bung']

Since I'm listing and describing things I do not know, I'll add that I do not know if the the 8 gen's single 12mm OEM O2 sensor is wideband or narrow.

The new performance 8 gen headers have an 18mm bung because 18mm is the size we know for certain that quality Bosch wideband O2 sensors come in; they are sold by both RB and Dynojet [Power Commander] and are used by most dyno tuning facilities.

Bottom line - more research is needed.

**Anyone who can help develop a definitive answer to how an 8 gen VFR implements a Rapid Bike autotune system, please do chime in here**

Edited by sfdownhill

• Member Contributer
On 11/9/2019 at 1:53 PM, sfdownhill said:

This is strictly a guess on my part, but it might be that RB sets up their autotune system to use the two OEM sensors on VFRs that have two OEM bungs/sensors simply because the two bungs are there, and they both happen to be full of sensors. I think I recall that with RB wideband sensors are an upgrade option, but OEM narrow band can be used - I could be wrong here. Duc2V4 can speak to this [And I hope he will - I'm floundering a bit].

What we hope for 8 gen owners who purchase new headers and are aiming for a RB with autotune is that RB sets up their system for 8 gen to use one 18mm wideband O2 sensor in conjunction with the single OEM sensor in the 12mm bung.

**Anyone who can help develop a definitive answer to how an 8 gen VFR implements a Rapid Bike autotune system, please do chime in here**

You are correct, sir... the Rapidbike can use the narrow band OEM sensors with a standard map or the upgrade Autotune with a wideband O2 sensor.

Heh, heh, heh... Bung-holio!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Member Contributer
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:36 PM, Rush2112 said:

Sorry, 5.5 gen and 6th gen have two stock O2 sensors... I think 8th gen has one. I apologize if I caused any confusion. The same explanation applies though. 

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:53 AM, sfdownhill said:

Hi Wingate - and thanks Rush for helping fill in a couple blanks.

Short version - we hope Rapid Bike autotune feature adapts to 8 gens the same way it adapts to 2000-2001 5 gens and all 6 gens - that RB leaves the single 12mm OEM O2 sensor on the 8 gen connected and employs a single added 18mm wideband O2 sensor to send air/fuel readings to the RB. This is what the headers are configured for.

But we are not certain whether this is the case. Yet. We hope.

We selected one 12mm bung so guys who bought the new headers could still use their single 12mm OEM O2 sensor. VFRD member Samuelx, owner of the 8 gen test bike, is using Power Commander 5 and has kept his OEM O2 sensor and all is well - no FI warning light or other flags. It is not an autotune system. On Samuelx's bike we were able to use the 18mm bung for Attack Performance's wideband sensor when the bike was on their dyno - this is more accurate than a 'sniffer' inserted into the tailpipe. We did have to purchase a 12" extension cable for the OEM O2 sensor to reach back to the new headers' collector exit, because placing the 12mm bung in the collector exit pushed it 12" further back than the front-of-catalytic-converter position of the OEM bung. This position allows air/fuel readings from all four cylinders combined. 

[The O2 sensor extension cable sells for $11 on ebay and is described as being for Honda Civic autos. Do NOT purchase the 12" O2 sensor extension cable for Acuras you might find on ebay, as it looks like it uses the same connector, but it does not. Ask me how I know].

We added the 18mm bung to 8 gen headers - also in the collector exit where it samples gases from all four cylinders - so that the wideband O2 sensor that Rush2112 described as a "single Rapidbike wide band O2 sensor" would function properly on 8 gen VFRs.

We know the Rapid Bike autotune can use the third [wideband] sensor along with the two OEM sensors on 2000-2001 5 gen VFRs and all 6 gen VFRs [Duc2V4 is using this setup on both his 2001 and on his 2009]. After checking in with Duc2V4, neither of us are certain that one must use three sensors with a RB autotune on 5, 6, OR 8 gen VFRs.

Since I'm listing and describing things I do not know, I'll add that I do not know if the the 8 gen's single 12mm OEM O2 sensor is wideband or narrow.

The new performance 8 gen headers have an 18mm bung because 18mm is the size we know for certain that quality Bosch wideband O2 sensors come in; they are sold by both RB and Dynojet [Power Commander] and are used by most dyno tuning facilities.

Bottom line - more research is needed.

Gents, Thank you both for your thorough replies. You both jogged my memory a bit (the RB has been sitting on the bench a while waiting for the headers) and, indeed, the RBR does work off the two OEM narrow bands (On the Rapidbike/Cyclepro website, it does state you must use the RBR in conjunction with the OEM sensors if your bike's equipped with them). Other experience on this forum suggests  run with wide bands only - via My Tuning Bike; apparently, as per Yaman, you can't hook the wide-bands directly to the RB module (from the RB.US website: "If the stock O2 (Lambda) sensor/s have been disabled by an ECU flash or with installation of a factory option race ecu or an aftermarket ecu  then My Tuning Bike Module/s can be used by itself").  So, I think your guess is correct, Downhill, and you can run one MTB in addition to the two (or one) OEM narrow. Finally, just to be clear, the RB doesn't actually need to have a wide-band connected to work; it is designed to work with the OEM narrow-bands but just requires more KM/miles to dial in. The wide-band allows for more instantaneous feedback.  CandyRedRC46 is one of the forum's resident knowledge boxes on all things RB, and there is a RBR vs. RB Evo thread here in the archives somewhere. Agree with Rush2112's observation the 12mm OEM narrow-band and 18MM wide-band bung combo are the most user friendly combo for many.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I’ve been using just wide Band for years with my RBRacing module. 
The narrow band sensors are just looped together on the RRR harness. I use both the original O2 sensor feeds to power the MTB wideband sensor, you have to use both as the Wideband sensor draws to much current for one feed to supply it.

As an FYI You only need power through on stock O2 sensor feed to keep the Fi light out. Because the alameda signal is not seen the ECU defaults to a rich map. It is this map you use the RBR or PC3/5 to correct.

Have fun 👍

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 11/18/2019 at 1:04 PM, eyrwbvfr said:

Any update on the 5th gen headers?   Has it started yet?

I believe that Wade was given the quantity and may have ordered the material but I’ll have to defer to Sfdownhill, as he’s the one that handles that side of things. 

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Me too . . . amazing how great they look. 

FedEx emailed that my 8th gens should be here today... so excited!

• Member Contributer
On 11/20/2019 at 12:06 PM, Duc2V4 said:

I believe that Wade was given the quantity and may have ordered the material but I’ll have to defer to Sfdownhill, as he’s the one that handles that side of things. 

• Member Contributer

^^^In a word Awesome! The dyno graphs were dead on, midrange pull coming out of curve is defiantly noticeable. Sound is deeper (and louder especially when V-tec kicks in). The bike just pulls harder all the way up, you'll see 👍.

The fit of the exhaust is great, you can see the planning and work that went into this (Great Job!). When installing I worked the rear first (left side) then worked forward. Once you get rear turn downs made up all the way exhaust fits like a glove. I used belt sander & my old gasket to get my gasket fit right. No mods to bike needed except the O2 extension wire. 

Wish I would have taken pictures of the install, this system looks good with the fairing off. 

Very pleased.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Drumagician said:

Never mind.  I just ordered a used 1998 exhaust instead for now.  Should be good enough for the first round of mods.  

Sorry for the lack of response, both sfdownhill and I were busy all weekend. That being said, the cut off was a little while back but it's possible that there could be another run, all depends on how the builder feels after this one.

• Member Contributer

Hi Drumagician, as Duc2V4 said, sorry for not reaponding sooner. I haven’t been getting vfrd updates properly, didn’t even get a notification of your post, so apologies there.

Not to push the product, but if you want to do the performance header, you’ll be happier the whole way through your upgrade path and can line up a Power Commander or Rapid Bike, maybe even autotune or one of the maps we have for 5th, 6th, and 8th gens. Your bike will pull like you wouldn’t believe. Fun stuff.

If you stick w the 1998 header, you will probably have an easier time fitting it to your 6 gen if you trim 5/8” - 3/4” off the collector exit.

Or it might be better to trim the 5/8”-3/4” off the header end of your 6 gen midpipe.

This trimming is what we have found gets the alignment of the 6 gen twin muffler assembly lined up w 5 gen headers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 1/4/2020 at 3:45 AM, WackenSS said:

The vfrd header bungs are m18/1.5pitch.

Except the OEM single O2 sensor and bung on 8 gens - that has M12 threading

VFRD new performance headers for 8 gens have one M12 bung so the OEM O2 sensor can still be used for more efficient closed loop operation during steady state cruising (highway operation). The M12 bung can be plugged if it is not being used. These headers for 8 gen also have a single M18/1.5 bung for wideband O2 sensors that facilitate auto tune (ie Rapid Bike, Power Commander, etc) and/or more accurate dyno tuning.

• Member Contributer

Hello Header Community - I have two important updates on the header project.

First I'd like to say thanks on behalf of Duc2V4 and myself to everyone who has participated in this adventure in any way. Fifteen months ago, all efforts to get a header built for the VFR800 had come to naught - even Duc2V4 and I had mostly given up after numerous rejections and lack of response from fabricators we had contacted. One year ago, a tiny flicker of hope sprang to life, the VFR community joined in, and now several dozen VFR owners have an honest-to-goodness performance exhaust solution. It has been awesome hearing from all the guys who have installed their headers and are laughing their butts off from 6000rpm to redline, me and Duc2V4 among them. This could not have happened without every one of you. We'd like to make three other shoutouts - we’ve mentioned these guys before, but thanks again to CornerCarver for loaning his Two Brothers headers so we could have Wade build a jig, thanks to Hammerdrill for lending us his 6 gen as a test/tune bike, and thanks to SamuelX for allowing us the use of his 8 gen for fitment and dyno testing.

Update #1: We were sorting through our dwindling stock of Delkevic 42mm crush gaskets, separating them into groups of four, and noticed a couple of the gaskets [Five, actually] felt a little bigger to our hands than the rest. Putting the calipers on them revealed that the five crush gaskets in question measured 43.7mm in outside diameter. This is way too big to even begin to fit into the VFR800's exhaust port sleeve.

*If you received crush gaskets from us and have not yet installed them, please give them a quick check to make sure they are the correct size, which is 41.6-41.8mm od. If you have gaskets whose od is greater than 42mm, please let us know, and we will replace them from our stock while we work out a refund/exchange with Delkevic.

Update #2: We have been trying to make contact with Wade to find out where our next batch of 5/6 gen headers is in his pipeline, and finally got ahold of him today. We have a call with him scheduled for tomorrow and will post a further update as well as send PMs to all those who have deposits in for the current production run of 5/6 gen headers. Sorry for the delay.

boldog új évet everyone!

[Happy New Year in Hungarian]

• Thanks 2

• Member Contributer
42 minutes ago, sfdownhill said:

Hello Header Community - I have two important updates on the header project.

First I'd like to say thanks on behalf of Duc2V4 and myself to everyone who has participated in this adventure in any way. Fifteen months ago, all efforts to get a header built for the VFR800 had come to naught - even Duc2V4 and I had mostly given up after numerous rejections and lack of response from fabricators we had contacted. One year ago, a tiny flicker of hope spring to life, the VFR community joined in, and now several dozen VFR owners have an honest-to-goodness performance exhaust solution. It has been awesome hearing from all the guys who have installed their headers and are laughing their butts off from 6000rpm to redline, me and Duc2V4 among them. This could not have happened without every one of you. We'd like to make three other shoutouts - I've mentioned these guys before, but thanks again to CornerCarver for loaning his Two Brothers headers so we could have Wade build a jig, thanks to Hammerdrill for lending us his 6 gen as a test/tune bike, and thanks to SamuelX for allowing us the use of his 8 gen for fitment and dyno testing.

Update #1: We were sorting through our dwindling stock of Delkevic 42mm crush gaskets, separating them into groups of four, and noticed a couple of the gaskets [Five, actually] felt a little bigger to our hands than the rest. Putting the calipers on them revealed that the five crush gaskets in question measured 43.7mm in outside diameter. This is way too big to even begin to fit into the VFR800's exhaust port sleeve.

*If you received crush gaskets from us and have not yet installed them, please give them a quick check to make sure they are the correct size, which is 41.6-41.8mm od. If you have gaskets whose od is greater than 42mm, please let us know, and we will replace them from our stock while we work out a refund/exchange with Delkevic.

Update #2: We have been trying to make contact with Wade to find out where our next batch of 5/6 gen headers is in his pipeline, and finally got ahold of him today. We have a call with him scheduled for tomorrow and will post a further update as well as send PMs to all those who have deposits in for the current production run of 5/6 gen headers. Sorry for the delay.

boldog új évet everyone!

[Happy New Year in Hungarian]

Thank you for all you & Duc2V4 have done!!!

Most people will never realize the amount of work it took to bring this to fruition. The hours, days, weeks, months, years of effort... like having second job but not getting paid for it!  You did what none of us were able to in the past... What you have done is amazing and our community can never thank you enough!

I look forward to hearing from you on the 5th gen headers!

With my sincere gratitude and respect,

Russ

• Like 4

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

Very interesting! Since I sourced my own gaskets this never occurred to me. I ultimately went with the 41MM gaskets. They may intrude into the flow a bit when crushed, but they are much fatter which means a better seal.

I must admit I have been remiss in posting my install experience. Been real busy with other things, but I have to agree that both bikes (48 state, and CA '99s) pull much harder, and have better throttle response. Hoping to get them to the dyno sometime this spring.

Thanks again to all who made this happen. Yeah it was a lot of money, but it was F'n worth it!

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

5/6 gen headers second production run update:

Over the past week we have been speaking with Wade to determine a delivery date for the current order, which consists of thirteen 5/6 gen headers. We found out that, for several reasons not uncommon to small fabrication shops that do custom production work, he has not gotten our headers finished. We have a 'time to build' commitment from him that depends on further financial commitment on our part.

We have communicated the specifics of this to each person who has placed a deposit for this production run of 5/6 gen headers.

Bottom line - our confidence in Wade is not shaken, and we understand that - up to this point - he has been fronting all the material costs and all the labor costs of producing our headers, fully completing assembly while only receiving deposits that are less than 25% of the cost of headers. His position is that he simply needs more money up front to cover the costs of building 13 sets of headers.