New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, Marvelicious said:

I'd be afraid of having "Dancing Queen" stuck in my head while trying to do maintenance. :goofy:

I’m always thinking “Mama Mia!”

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Duc2V4 said:

I’m always thinking “Mama Mia!”

I do like those stands. A buddy and I both have those HF lifts and we both have the same problem: a long term project has more or less put down roots on them and various parts and other sundry have accumulated. They're a good lift for the money (at least for what I paid... they've gotten expensive since then), but that Skylift looks a lot more suited for normal maintenance tasks.

I texted a link to my buddy as well and he's been sending me ABBA lyrics back for the last hour...

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the replies.  Checked the PitBull site and the rear looks sturdy. Does it just stick into the axle?

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

On the Pit Bull you remove the small plastic cap on the drive side to allow the pin to slide in.  I like my Pit Bull, but honestly the ability to roll the bike around while in pieces would be awesome.  Once you begin a project on service stands,  it ain't movin till you're done. 

As for "Dancing Queen", it wasn't exactly music for guys,  but the music videos weren't difficult to watch, if ya know what I'm sayin . . . :wink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Member Contributer

Hi Guys

Has there been any advance on the 8th Gen pipes yet please.

My deposit has been with you since 18th February 2019 and I am starting to feel there is going to be no advance on this so it would be good to get my $200 USD back.

So, can someone get back to me please.

Cheers

Phil

• Member Contributer

There are at least 3 others among us in for an 8th gen set that match up with a standard 5th/6th gen exit position.  With Tyga now seeming to be in too, the "I'm interested in headers" contingent seems a bit split.  It's not clear to me if Tyga is only making 4th gen versions or if there will be versions for other gens.  Left exit headers will leave 6th gen owners stranded as that's not likely what they'll want.  Even 5th gen owners might not want to lose their center stand so hard telling if they'll want a left exit, either.   I remember counting up those that sat out the first batch of Wade headers and there were a fair number - maybe 10 or so - possibly enough to get another run if we can get organized.  Until the thread gets some new life it's not likely any more deposits are coming.  It seems doable, just need to get those interested to chime in.  I'm in for an 8th gen set with 6th gen compatibility and might also get a standard set for my 5th gen, too. 

On 8/30/2019 at 10:06 PM, Duc2V4 said:

Johnpon, shipping to Greece shouldn't be an issue we have sent headers to England, Norway and even Australia. The shipping cost can vary greatly but what seems to be the same, a customs fee was charged to the recipients. The fee was typically based the value given on the customs form. So if the value is for the actual cost, roughly $800 USD, your fee could probably be determined by using that as your value.

Inquiring the same for a delivery to Poland. Couldn't we just say that value is closer to $0 than $800? 😉

• Member Contributer

Highside, try and keep the faith a little longer re. the 8th gen. pipes; we need the numbers to reach critical mass. DUC24 asked 2-3 weeks ago re. wanting passivating or not on the finished product, so I remain hopeful there's been some movement...like you, my deposit has been sitting for a while. I'm sure the lads are across it as time allows  (but would also like to see progress too).

Best to all.

• Member Contributer

I sent a deposit for a 5th/6th gen header a couple of weeks ago but haven't heard anything. Does anyone know how many deposits are in for that pipe. If it would help I'd take an 8th gen pipe with 6th gen compatibility. What's the difference between a 5th/6th gen pipe and the 8th gen with 6th gen compatibility. Thanks

• Member Contributer

I may be alone in this, but my sense of urgency is that for us in the Northern Hemisphere riding season is more or less over and the perfect time to do a major project (in my case maybe also an engine swap) on the bike is at hand.  If these don't become available until spring then in order to ride next year the project will have to be put off until this time 2020, losing a year.  So all things equal if it could be prior to year end '19 that would be awesome.  But time will tell . . .

Regarding 8th gen headers some of us want, the routing allows for mounting of the 8th gen lower radiator on earlier models.  It's been done on a 6th gen, not sure about on a  5th.  See HighSideNZ's thread on that topic here - take note of how the headers hug the block:

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/88558-no-more-side-radiators-period/&tab=comments#comment-1092357

• Member Contributer

Hey all, sorry for my lack of presence here on this thread. I will see if I can get a hold of SF and see where things are. He has been the one in charge of dealing with the pipe builder and I have been dealing with the shipping and coordinating with him in regards to who gets what. I know he was not available the past couple of days but I'll see if I can get a hold of him tomorrow.

Cheers

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 10/8/2019 at 10:29 PM, Cogswell said:

I may be alone in this, but my sense of urgency is that for us in the Northern Hemisphere riding season is more or less over and the perfect time to do a major project (in my case maybe also an engine swap) on the bike is at hand.  If these don't become available until spring then in order to ride next year the project will have to be put off until this time 2020, losing a year.  So all things equal if it could be prior to year end '19 that would be awesome.  But time will tell . . .

Regarding 8th gen headers some of us want, the routing allows for mounting of the 8th gen lower radiator on earlier models.  It's been done on a 6th gen, not sure about on a  5th.  See HighSideNZ's thread on that topic here - take note of how the headers hug the block:

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/88558-no-more-side-radiators-period/&tab=comments#comment-1092357

Thanks for the link Cogswell

• Member Contributer

There has been progress.

First please allow me to thank Duc2V4 for his patience and persistence in supporting and encouraging continued effort on this project - he is a rock star in many ways, more even than are evident in his high quality participation on VFRD.

Second, please allow me to sincerely apologize to everyone - especially those who have placed deposits for headers - for not staying current with communication regarding this project. No excuse can suffice for me dropping the ball the way I have. I will be paying close attention, responding promptly, and doing my part from here on out, beginning with reading through/responding to all PMs and catching up on the many posts on this thread that I missed.

We have been able to arrange with Wade, the fabricator of VFR headers, to complete construction of fifteen sets of 8 gen headers, in spite of not having met his minimum quantity of fifteen orders. These 8 gen systems have been built on a jig that was modified slightly to provide better fitment when the center stand is down. Seven of these fifteen 8 gen headers are already sold to VFRD members and to a couple others who placed deposits. Again, thank you all for your patience.

401293619_8gencomplete1.thumb.JPG.224e3b672563b1da3243907946a9d20d.JPG875099269_8gencomplete2.thumb.JPG.19effe6bd4796c46d3b31a91bd8c9830.JPG

Eight sets of these 8 gen headers are now available for purchase.

Going forward, Wade has also finally agreed to build runs of as few as 6 sets of headers, down from a minimum order of 15 units. Because of this, those who have placed deposits for 5/6 gen headers in the second production run will be seeing their headers built soon. This also means a much shorter time between production runs for all headers, 5/6 gen and 8 gen.

For upcoming 5/6 gen headers, Wade has modified the jig to provide better center stand clearance, as well as establishing clearance between the front right primary tube and the inner chin half cowl.

Ten of the 8 gen headers that have been completed are currently at the passivators being acid dipped for strength and longevity. Passivation costs $90 per exhaust and has been discussed in detail early in this thread, starting with Sebspeed's querie on page 2:

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/88463-new-5th6th8th-gen-performance-header-now-in-production-in-usa/page/2/]

The five remaining 8 gen headers can be passivated if the buyers chooses to do so.

To begin getting headers shipped out to their new owners, PMs with more detail will go out in the next 24 hours to all those who have placed deposits for 8 gen and 5/6 gen headers.

We have also checked in with Tyga about their upcoming headers, and received an interesting reply. Here is the email exchange [with names and personal emails removed]:

"> -----Original Message-----
> From: ______ _______ [mailto:____________]
> Sent: Friday, September 20, 2019 10:48 PM
> To: Tyga-Performance <Tyga@Tyga-Performance.com>
> Subject: Enquiry from TYGA-Performance: New Tyga headers for Honda VFR800
>
> Hello,
>
> I just saw the Tyga update on the vfrdiscussion.com website - it is exciting to learn that Tyga will be producing headers and exhaust systems for the Honda VFR800.
>
> Are you far enough along in the process to have pricing for a set of headers for the VFR800?
>
> Which version or versions of the VFR800 are your headers going to be built for? 5th gen with two side-mounted radiators is 1998-2001, 6th gen with two side-mounted radiators is 2002-2013, and 8th gen with one front-mounted radiator is 2014-2016.
>
> Thank you very much for following through on this project.
>
> Best regards,
>
> ____________

> On Sep 22, 2019, at 9:29 PM, tyga <tyga@tyga-performance.com> wrote:
>
> Hi _________
>
> Many thanks for the message. We are actually making the exhaust for the 1993-97 model. I am not sure if it will fit previous or subsequent models. I understand that the TBR one fits earlier models but not sure if they would be compatible with the 800. Our plan would be to get the 4th gen to market and see how they sell and hopefully, if it is successful, we can then adapt as necessary to fit earlier and or later models. Sorry, it looks like your wait will need to be a bit longer.
>
> Best regards
>
> Paul
>"

Postscript - we were able to work with VFRD member SamuelX and his beautiful 8 gen [Deluxe model] to develop this high mount exhaust to go with the headers. SamuelX wanted to keep his Yoshimura muffler, so we trimmed it to fit the bike's dimensions. I have had the privilege to ride this motorcycle on several of my favorite sets of twisted pavement. With the added performance, this bike was an awful lot of fun - thanks Samuel! For the first time, I starting thinking that perhaps the 5 gen is not the be-all, end-all of VFRs...

1554536046_8genhiDon2.thumb.JPG.d6eed418e872970b35e50ff63006070a.JPG1544436272_8genhiDon4.thumb.JPG.2323b779fc14ea3a9e34b3112de4edec.JPG

1535586212_8genhiDon1.thumb.JPG.a520c715becca5149beb7154e2caf41f.JPG

155579644_8genhiDon5.thumb.JPG.a4e7aaaaf3e15739741474fae2f2ec5b.JPG

• Like 5

Hey SF, you da man (and Duc too)!  It took longer than we had originally anticipated but IMO it was definitely worth the wait!  As I told you in person, I very much appreciated your (and Duc's) hard work, dedication, diligence, and attention to detail - there was quite a bit of "stuff" that you had to deal with behind the scenes on these projects and I didn't envy you having to balance that load on top of everything else going on in your regular life.  I, for one, wouldn't hesitate to entrust my bike to and/or do business with you again!  Thanks for scrubbing my tires in - I'm still looking forward to riding with you (guys) some day (been super busy at work and also sick for the past week, sucks!). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, Samuelx said:

Hey SF, you da man (and Duc too)!  It took longer than we had originally anticipated but IMO it was definitely worth the wait!  As I told you in person, I very much appreciated your (and Duc's) hard work, dedication, diligence, and attention to detail - there was quite a bit of "stuff" that you had to deal with behind the scenes on these projects and I didn't envy you having to balance that load on top of everything else going on in your regular life.  I, for one, wouldn't hesitate to entrust my bike to and/or do business with you again!  Thanks for scrubbing my tires in - I'm still looking forward to riding with you (guys) some day (been super busy at work and also sick for the past week, sucks!). 

+1 (except for the being sick...). Hats off!!

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

What was the final asking price for the 8th gen?

I believe the current price is $830.00 plus shipping. This actually applies to 5&6 Gens too. 

• Member Contributer

Hi sfdownhill

Glad to hear all is going to plan and thanks to you and Duc2V4 for persevering with the build.

Let me know what I owe and how to pay to get things rolling.

I'll send you my US delivery address via PM once you contact.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 1:55 AM, sfdownhill said:

Going forward, Wade has also finally agreed to build runs of as few as 6 sets of headers, down from a minimum order of 15 units. Because of this, those who have placed deposits for 5/6 gen headers in the second production run will be seeing their headers built soon. This also means a much shorter time between production runs for all headers, 5/6 gen and 8 gen.

For upcoming 5/6 gen headers, Wade has modified the jig to provide better center stand clearance, as well as establishing clearance between the front right primary tube and the inner chin half cowl.

I'm getting excited now!  Thanks for the update and thanks for the whole team with all your efforts and hard work!!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 10/12/2019 at 8:11 AM, Duc2V4 said:

I believe the current price is $830.00 plus shipping. This actually applies to 5&6 Gens too. 

PM sent re interest in 5/6 and 8th gen sets.

• Member Contributer
On 10/15/2019 at 8:05 PM, Cogswell said:

PM sent re interest in 5/6 and 8th gen sets.

Ditto... I’m in for 5th gen and 8th gen sets.  PM sent.

• Like 1