New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer

What is your reasoning for coating the headers?

They are stainless steel and consider the oldest Gen 6's around with their standard pipes!

Still in one piece I'd expect.  Not like the older mild steel pipes that Honda should never have used.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GreginDenver said:

(I feel like the clueless kid at the back of class)

Can I ask why?  Exactly why are we talking about exhaust coatings here in this forum thread? 

I have to know, is there a specific reason or concern or flaw (in these new stainless steel headers) that has caused the discussion to be re-directed onto the topic of header coatings?

Maybe someone wants to coat their exhaust for aesthetics? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ScottieDucati said:

Or temperature mitigation.

That's why I researched it. I'm still trying to figure out why my bike runs so hot and what can be done about it.

I chimed in because I don't think you can properly ceramic coat these on the inside, so there's a potential risk compared to leaving the SS on its own (which we know will last).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Funkotron said:

That's why I researched it. I'm still trying to figure out why my bike runs so hot and what can be done about it.

I chimed in because I don't think you can properly ceramic coat these on the inside, so there's a potential risk compared to leaving the SS on its own (which we know will last).

I've been running Titanium exhaust wrap on my 99 catless header and have seen a significant improvement to bike temp. someone had mentioned earlier in this thread that you "shouldn't" wrap SS headers so I contacted the manufacturer of the titanium wrap and they said it won't cause any issues with a SS header.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
43 minutes ago, ScottieDucati said:

Or temperature mitigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my purposes, it's entirely about heat management. These bikes, especially the 6th gen, are known to run on the hot side and have electrical issues. Since the radiators, R/R, electrical connections, etc... would all be happier in a cooler environment, the idea of keeping every bit of heat inside the pipe you can seems like a good one to me. I've considered getting my stock 6th gen header coated for just these reasons. 

Anyhow, it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but was recommended against by the fabricator. I'm sure he has his reasons, and from his point of view they are probably very good reasons. If I had put the work into a set of pipes that he obviously has here, I wouldn't be eager to recommend that Billy Bob cover them with goo he bought off the interweb. 

Anyhow, I apologize if this was perceived as a thread hijacking. I've said my piece and believe my reasoning to be sound.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, ScottieDucati said:

Hey I mean if heat’s an issue just ride faster emoji41.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried that, but those guys with the lights on top of their cars get really mad at me...

• Like 1

Here's a simple solution for the center stand stopper guys. All I did is I took one of the old header clamps (2nd pic), flattened it out and removed the threaded end of the clamp. I then dropped out the hole in the one end slightly bigger so I could place the OEM rubber stopper in the factory headers into the hole, then I simply just secured it to the center stand with hose clamps!5925c802b08fc31088f14cc59f998962.jpgfa3ca5541fb8aa19c8a9152e7cef554f.jpg9cf1d5c414bb726e1190894c9945a170.jpg071b3e84b2de5fe2396b94eb4febe966.jpg0a9f3fc0a58e537d3c7fc3567d0f7f15.jpg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, Neo2122 said:

Here's a simple solution for the center stand stopper guys. All I did is I took one of the old header clamps (2nd pic), flattened it out and removed the threaded end of the clamp. I then dropped out the hole in the one end slightly bigger so I could place the OEM rubber stopper in the factory headers into the hole, then I simply just secured it to the center stand with hose clamps!5925c802b08fc31088f14cc59f998962.jpgfa3ca5541fb8aa19c8a9152e7cef554f.jpg9cf1d5c414bb726e1190894c9945a170.jpg071b3e84b2de5fe2396b94eb4febe966.jpg0a9f3fc0a58e537d3c7fc3567d0f7f15.jpg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Note that we have just reached out to Sebspeed to see if he can make a more elegant solution, so if you're still wanting something more than a temporary solution, please stand by.

As for your your setup. The only concern I have is the rubber stop sitting directly against the mid-pipe. Have you tested it under normal riding conditions? Not sure how much heat transfers to the stop in the OEM condition but would imagine much less than with direct contact. Perhaps mounting the stop to the mid-pipe would alleviate any potential melting issues.

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

BTW, here is what I did last night and is what I had forwarded to Seb (via pictures). Hopefully I am on the right track but I'm sure Seb's talent could easily surpass mine!

IMG_4774.thumb.jpeg.bd0799c8523f0af4cda99e7f2a450528.jpeg

I added a little twist to the V&N solution and put a little bend in the vertical section to give it a little more strength. Pay no mind to the looks, I did this with simple hand tools and a small vice.

57837444954__7A32E1B6-E2CD-44DE-BA22-ADE1034DBBAF_2.thumb.jpg.f98a81412f82b4426572ff0ec25ed609.jpg

For my template, I added a bigger section on the bottom so a hole could be added to use the OEM rubber stop. Let's see if Seb finds this viable or if he can improve on it or come up with something even better.

IMG_4787.thumb.jpeg.be056579f8450372602ddb069ea32b0b.jpeg

• Like 4

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Duc2V4 said:

BTW, here is what I did last night and is what I had forwarded to Seb (via pictures). Hopefully I am on the right track but I'm sure Seb's talent could easily surpass mine!

IMG_4774.thumb.jpeg.bd0799c8523f0af4cda99e7f2a450528.jpeg

Does that push against the frame?  So it has a nice hard stop?

This might be a great solution. One more bend for rigidity, a bump stop, and it'd be pretty elegant.  Paint it black and I bet it just sort of disappears into the frame, visually. Nobody would pay attention who wasn't specifically looking for it.

This is a nice proof of concept/hand tool prototype. I love clever little things like this.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Will this interfer with the 3rd o2 sensor as MooseMoose fitting thread says it's all pretty close there

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, boOZZIE said:

Will this interfer with the 3rd o2 sensor as MooseMoose fitting thread says it's all pretty close there

I cannot say for sure, as this was done on my 6 Gen which has 98-99 headers. That being said, I did not experience any interference on my bike.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, MooseMoose said:

Does that push against the frame?  So it has a nice hard stop?

This might be a great solution. One more bend for rigidity, a bump stop, and it'd be pretty elegant.  Paint it black and I bet it just sort of disappears into the frame, visually. Nobody would pay attention who wasn't specifically looking for it.

This is a nice proof of concept/hand tool prototype. I love clever little things like this.

It pushes up against the cush or engine, I'd have to take a closer look but yes, adding a bend and/or use thicker metal would provide more rigidity.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, boOZZIE said:

I doubt it. It's outside the end of the sensor.   I mean, I don't have it on my bike, but I'm 95% sure it can be made to clear and do its job just as it is.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

It pushes up against the cush or engine, I'd have to take a closer look but yes, adding a bend and/or use thicker metal would provide more rigidity.

I'm not picking on your prototype. I do my fair share of brakeless sheet metal bending as well, and there's only so much you can do with a vice and a hammer. That one's a perfect proof of concept.

I was just sort of thinking as I typed.  Since it buts up against he case there it is going to have no problem rotating with just one mounting bolt is what I was thinking about. I don't know what Seb's shop has for brakes, though, but he's good enough at solving problems I'm confident he will come up with something that he can produce out of this.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, MooseMoose said:

I'm not picking on your prototype. I do my fair share of brakeless sheet metal bending as well, and there's only so much you can do with a vice and a hammer. That one's a perfect proof of concept.

I was just sort of thinking as I typed.  Since it buts up against he case there it is going to have no problem rotating with just one mounting bolt is what I was thinking about. I don't know what Seb's shop has for brakes, though, but he's good enough at solving problems I'm confident he will come up with something that he can produce out of this.

Good question, based on the Vance and Hines sample I saw, it just uses one bolt as well. When the stand is in the up position, it causes the stop to push into the engine case and when using the stand, tension on the bolt seems to keep it in place.

• Member Contributer

It the 20 years I have had that pipe and center stand stop it has never moved a centimeter. And my bike stays on the center stand.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Guys, don't stress over this. I'm not challenging it at all. I just wanted to know how it worked.

Engineering wise, you can't put something on one mounting point and expect it to not rotate. You have to have two points, preferably with some spacing, to create the leverage necessary, and that one creates it by butting up against the case as the second point of contact.

That's all the question was.  Idle curiosity about a different design that solves this problem in an innovative way.

• Member Contributer
53 minutes ago, interceptor69 said:

What are my rusty '98 headers made of?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Garden variety mild steel 

Finally got around to installing the pipe. The front was pretty far off and misaligned. CornerCarver had to lay on the ground and push the front right with his foot while I worked it into place. 

IMG_20190505_153912.jpg