New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer
20 minutes ago, interceptor69 said:

If you guys have any more gaskets and haven't shipped my headers I'd love a set of gaskets.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If I got this correct, looks like SF sent me a text indicating the packages are now in the hands of FedEx! I think we can probably put some in a padded envelope for you. Hopefully SF chime in and let you know if he still has some available.

• Member Contributer

Well it looks like a majority of the packages are now in the hands of FedEx. I will be sending out PMs with tracking numbers soon. So be on the lookout. One note, FedEx wouldn't let me complete the shipping label without a recipient phone number, so I put my phone number down as the contact number. I assume this is in case they need directions or confirmation of address, if there is a concern for delivery issues. Anyway, once you have the tracking number, I believe you can go online and make delivery changes, like have them to hold the package at a FedEx location or even change the day you want the package delivered. That being the case, you might even have the ability to change the contact number. If so, I would say do that just for good measure.

Cheers,

D

• Member Contributer
On 4/22/2019 at 6:26 AM, VifferJ said:

How does one go about ordering the 8th gen header and what's the cost? Or did you have to order in advance? 

Hi Viffer - got your PM, response sent. Cheers

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Just thought I'd chime in here too.

Drove down to Duc2V4's place on Sunday to pick up my 2 sets. We had a good chat, and I left a case of ale for him & SF. The pipes look great! My GPR, and Scorpion mid pipes will need stretching, but my TBR will slip right on. I probably won't be able to mount 'em up for a few weeks as we have a race coming up, and there's a lot of prep to do on the car as well as the normal packing/RV related stuff. I'll post updates as things progress.

Thanks again to you guys for making this happen. I still peek in the box in the garage with a bit of disbelief.

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

Duc2V4 and I got the first nasty surprise of this project when we went to pay Wade the balance due and pick up the headers VFRD members had ordered and paid for.

Our group had ordered a total of 24 sets of 5/6 gen headers, but the amount due was the balance on the cost of 25 headers. The extra cost - $760, equal to the price of one set of headers at the beginning of the project - was Wade's charge for building the fixture/jig from which the headers were built. This blindsided Duc2V4 and I more than a bit, but it became clear that Wade was not pulling a fast one; he simply charges one unit cost to build a jig. We simply had not understood this until the eleventh hour. We were 130 miles from home, and were not going to be able to take delivery of our 24 headers unless the fixture charge was paid along with the cost of the headers.

Duc2V4 stepped up big time and personally paid the $760 fixture charge. This was above and beyond the set of headers he was getting for his 5 gen. He saved us all from a minimum two week delay to sort out the additional cost and ask all purchasers for an additional payment.

Here is my request: Most of us are going to receive our headers this week, so this is a good time to ask that each of us who ordered headers now send Duc2V4 $32 per set of headers to pay him back. I used my personal paypal to send $32 to Duc2V4 at the vfrheaders@gmail.com paypal account.

[$32 is the nearest whole dollar amount to $760 divided by 24 - the number of headers we ordered]

Thank you very much, everybody.

On to 8 gen headers. The good news is that we now know Wade will charge us the cost of one set of headers for building the 8 gen header fixture/jig. Dividing this $790 cost by an estimated 20 sets of headers means the cost of 8 gen headers has become $830 per set.

As Duc2V4 and MooseMoose have described, we got the headers on their way to their happy new homes. I couldn't find any clowns to stuff into my van this past Monday, so instead attempted to find out "what is the maximum number of boxed headers that can fit into a Toyota Sienna?" Thank god motorcycling requires having tiedowns on hand...

260967128_boxesinvan1.thumb.jpg.2e6096fb292e8466138709c273455917.jpg

The answer to the question "how many boxed headers fit into a Toyota Sienna?" is 15 if a human is driving, 16 if one of the boxes drives.

A0CE9686-7F46-4642-ADB8-7E4015EA5D70.thumb.jpeg.97c16199f156678f0140e9b6b4c9157b.jpeg

On to more important things. One look at the front primaries on these headers and you'll know what this means...

64CBD251-8C25-42BF-A9F4-6222E9B2A7D0.thumb.jpeg.d96c243acd90819b4e56cfd9ba2a7670.jpeg

That's right - it's 8 gen time, and dyno day is just around the corner [EDIT - 8 gen dyno day was today 4/24/19]. Further updates will be available [posted] the following business day, or soon after that. Moosemoose, carlgustav, Hammerdrill, and Duc2V4 have helped compile a few pointers for installing the new headers and we will get those posted along with photos of 8 gen fitment sessions.

So briefly, here is the 8 gen dyno chart with Runfile 005 baseline, Runfile 011 new headers installed with zero map in PCV, and Runfile 034 the final result of tuning the 8 gen with PCV and new headers:

758108547_Attack8gencomparison042419.thumb.jpg.e8eecd2e935840c74d0421e693b6186b.jpg

250416309_Attack8gencomparisonconditions042419.thumb.jpg.0fb97e7b6c6161766fb281291288ef85.jpg

But that chart is not the best part of the dyno results, the chart below is the best part. Jozef inserted a reference line at 7000rpm to isolate the improvements in midrange. Horsepower at 7000rpm went from 62.11hp with stock exhaust to 71.90hp tuned with new headers - that's a huge bump right where a great deal of our fun is to be had. Torque at 7000rpm increased from 46.57ft-lbs stock to 53.92ft-lbs tuned. Schweet!

1844744579_Attack8genmidrange042419.thumb.jpg.6eb12d510f0bc069720a8dddf8f0ad58.jpg

• Like 2

Duc2V4 and I got the first nasty surprise of this project when we went to pay Wade the balance due and pick up the headers VFRD members had ordered and paid for.

Our group had ordered a total of 24 sets of 5/6 gen headers, but the amount due was the balance on the cost of 25 headers. The extra cost - $760, equal to the price of one set of headers at the beginning of the project - was Wade's charge for building the fixture/jig from which the headers were built. This blindsided Duc2V4 and I more than a bit, but it became clear that Wade was not pulling a fast one; he simply charges one unit cost to build a jig. We simply had not understood this until the eleventh hour. We were 130 miles from home, and were not going to be able to take delivery of our 24 headers unless the fixture charge was paid along with the cost of the headers.

Duc2V4 stepped up big time and personally paid the $760 fixture charge. This was above and beyond the set of headers he was getting for his 5 gen. He saved us all from a minimum two week delay to sort out the additional cost and ask all purchasers for an additional payment.

Here is my request: Most of us are going to receive our headers this week, so this is a good time to ask that each of us who ordered headers now send Duc2V4 $32 per set of headers to pay him back. I used my personal paypal to send $32 to Duc2V4 at the vfrheaders@gmail.com paypal account.
[$32 is the nearest whole dollar amount to $760 divided by 24 - the number of headers we ordered]

Thank you very much, everybody.

On to 8 gen headers. The good news is that we now know Wade will charge us the cost of one set of headers for building the 8 gen header fixture/jig. Dividing this $790 cost by an estimated 20 sets of headers means the cost of 8 gen headers has become $830 per set.

As Duc2V4 and MooseMoose have described, we got the headers on their way to their happy new homes. I couldn't find any clowns to stuff into my van this past Monday, so instead attempted to find out "what is the maximum number of boxed headers that can fit into a Toyota Sienna?" Thank god motorcycling requires having tiedowns on hand...
260967128_boxesinvan1.thumb.jpg.2e6096fb292e8466138709c273455917.jpg

The answer to the question "how many boxed headers fit into a Toyota Sienna?" is 15 if a human is driving, 16 if one of the boxes drives.
2118652220_boxesinvan2.thumb.jpg.3755d85ffec32eae0a8bbc2f0cc54610.jpg

On to more important things. One look at the front primaries on these headers and you'll know what this means...
1395617983_8genheaders.thumb.jpg.c7c59a072b2da18ae92be797771ab255.jpg

That's right - it's 8 gen time, and dyno day is just around the corner [EDIT - 8 gen dyno day was today 4/24/19]. Further updates will be available [posted] the following business day, or soon after that. Moosemoose, carlgustav, Hammerdrill, and Duc2V4 have helped compile a few pointers for installing the new headers and we will get those posted along with photos of 8 gen fitment sessions.

So briefly, here is the 8 gen dyno chart with Runfile 005 baseline, Runfile 011 new headers installed with zero map in PCV, and Runfile 034 the final result of tuning the 8 gen with PCV and new headers:
758108547_Attack8gencomparison042419.thumb.jpg.e8eecd2e935840c74d0421e693b6186b.jpg
250416309_Attack8gencomparisonconditions042419.thumb.jpg.0fb97e7b6c6161766fb281291288ef85.jpg

But that chart is not the best part of the dyno results, the chart below is the best part. Jozef inserted a reference line at 7000rpm to isolate the improvements in midrange. Horsepower at 7000rpm went from 62.11hp with stock exhaust to 71.90hp tuned with new headers - that's a huge bump right where a great deal of our fun is to be had. Torque at 7000rpm increased from 46.57ft-lbs stock to 53.92ft-lbs tuned. Schweet!
1844744579_Attack8genmidrange042419.thumb.jpg.6eb12d510f0bc069720a8dddf8f0ad58.jpg

Attachment issues.

Payment done!
  • Like 1

• Member Contributer

Payment sent. If I'd known I'd have handed you cash right there! Don't want you to be out of pocket after the scores of hours already contributed to this project.

Those 8Gen are good charts, especially around the vtec dip.  An honest 4% untuned and 7% tuned over stock is nothing to sneeze at on peaks, but that midrange is just lovely! Big, fat gains there.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

So... are these likely to stay in production for any length of time, or is it more of a "get in line now or regret it forever" situation? I ask because I missed this thread when it started, and now is a relatively tight moment, financially. It's not completely out of the question, but 6 months from now $800 would be a lot easier to come by.

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, Marvelicious said:

So... are these likely to stay in production for any length of time, or is it more of a "get in line now or regret it forever" situation? I ask because I missed this thread when it started, and now is a relatively tight moment, financially. It's not completely out of the question, but 6 months from now $800 would be a lot easier to come by.

I hear you, Marv! All my dreams of modifications/upgrades are temporarily on hold too. What gen VFR do you have? 8 gen headers are gathering orders for the next production run, probably 8 weeks to completion. After that, we’ll start another run of 5/6 gen headers, so somewhere along the line, headers will probably line up for you.

• Member Contributer

I've got an '06. Honestly, I have done most of the things to this bike I'm interested in doing (mostly reliability stuff) but a high performance exhaust is pretty tempting. I've got the money in savings where I could buy it at the moment, but that money didn't wind up there by making those sorts of choices!

Haha.... I was considering selling my VFR... but this header situation was too good to pass up. So header means I need a slip on, and a PC3... and shoot.... the shock is *right there* while you’re doing the headers so....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Ah, see... I bought my bike with Leo Vince cans and a Power Commander, I did the shock last year (DMR), forks the year before... Upgraded to a modern r/r... Custom seat... 

Running out of low hanging fruit! 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Well done, gents I salute you for having pulled this off. Would I be right in assuming that the mysterious Wade will keep the jigs & after your group buys his contact details will be revealed, so people can order one offs from him ? Obviously the unit cost will be higher, but good for future buyers, or those like me that have no need of another set of headers yet, but may in the future.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

All three 5/6/8 gens top out at 10500rpm, then flatline or decline. We know the restriction is not in the exhaust now, so you might like to try my big air box mod on one of those. When I did mine it added 5hp up top plus it let it keep breathing to the redline ! 🙂

• Like 1

All three 5/6/8 gens top out at 10500rpm, then flatline or decline. We know the restriction is not in the exhaust now, so you might like to try my big air box mod on one of those. When I did mine it added 5hp up top plus it let it keep breathing to the redline !

You should add some pics of the mod and the scoop you made and all that, you had posted some diagrams but no straight up pictures of it from what I saw, and I am curious lol

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Got my pipes today! Can't thank all of you enough! What a damn good community we got going here, like seriously I don't think anything like this quite exists anywhere else! Sent my extra $32 to ya guys! Happy viffer Christmas y'all!!!8ce64b43fd36dd70a8cbc4e2236a15fe.jpgec533d5c143b6b3398107fe8529b7d55.jpg

• Like 5

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Neo2122 said:

You should add some pics of the mod and the scoop you made and all that, you had posted some diagrams but no straight up pictures of it from what I saw, and I am curious lol

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Lance,

Please let me know when the next batch of 5th and 6th gens are geared up to be made. I'm def ready to pull the trigger for the 2nd run of these.  Real curious to hear feedback from the guys running Staintunes on the 6th gen and how much of an issue it was getting the slipon midpipe to connect to the header (i.e. enlraging the end) Big thanks for getting these made.

Nick

• Like 1

With these headers is it possible to install the center stand AFTER the headers are installed? I have the headers but not the center stand stopper piece yet and was wanting to use my time this weekend to install everything. If i can install the center stand later once i get that piece then i will just do that. if not i may have to wait. So i'm just curious. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

You have to drop the headers to get the centerstand on.  They basically have to go on together, in fact, lower the headers and thread the stand up between, bolt on the stand, then put the headers back into place,  There's just no way to get the bolt in the right side space otherwise.

• Like 2