New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer
36 minutes ago, VFR750F3 said:

Back to the 6th generation chart does anyone think the mufflers and the mid pipe had anything to do with the loss of power on top end.

As I read those charts you're buying horsepower over stock everywhere.  Or do you mean relative to the 5th gen?

Are you talking about how, even stock, it falls off a little after peaking at 10.7K? Do you think the dual high pipe costs top end?   Wouldn't be too hard to do. Borrow a slipon from a 5th gen friend and do a little bracketmaking and you could mount a 5G style midpipe and right exit slipon below the passenger peg to do a comparison run when you tune your bike, I guess, but I've never heard of anyone doing both to compare.

Again, might be interesting data to have when someone tunes their 6G. Otherwise we'd have no idea how much of that is the pipes and how much valves and the timing differences between gens.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Samuelx said:

Thanks for the update SF - have a great time in TX!!!

Thanks Samuel! I hit Jozef up for motogp  paddock passes through Attack, but theirs were already spoken for. It will be a blast any way we slice it - even the rainy free practice tomorrow morning.

6 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

You and all the other guys with supercharged 6 gens!

There aren't many of us, I kinda planted that seed...

6 hours ago, WackenSS said:

Quote me one of those when your finished fabricating emoji6.png

Happy to, will let you know as the development progresses. I plan to add not just a 3rd coolant radiator, but also a larger relocated engine oil cooler and a cooler for the SC oil.

6 hours ago, Voided76 said:

it would be a cheaper road to fab a turbokit from a GSXR600 to the VFR.  and it would be a monster for quick spooling afterwards.

Cheaper, likely yes, but absolutely harder to package and will only spool quickly if you use one very small turbo or one turbo for each bank. Turbos need to be placed as close as possible to the exhaust ports and obviously this is an issue with a V4. Packaging 1 in a fully faired VFR would be very challenging and twins you can pretty much forget about unless you go with a wild streetfighter theme.

5 hours ago, HighSideNZ said:

Back on the 8th Gen headers

Someone mentioned that the front pipes merge together and so do the rears.  That is correct.  Look at this

image.png.e3e0e40fb4d8c8cc06227a58ff1762de.png

In my opinion Honda have gone on a cost saving drive with this and it is all about reducing costs in the pipes.

A single O2 sensor and crap merges.

The firing order is still the same between 5th, 6th and 8th Gen so our performance pipes will possible make a bigger gain on the 8th Gen

Just my opinion.

Phil

I concur. Not just questionable merges, but a not-so-well-flowing assortment of seam welded steel stampings which have replacing actual tubing.

My hope is that the new header is NOT a duplication of these merges, but rather mostly the same as the 5/6 with the exception of the front downtubes, and obviously any minor fit changes needed to be usable on the 8th gen bike.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Hey sfdownhill.

Seeing that the O2 sensor on the 8th Gen is a M12 device, I'd like to have my set of headers with NO O2 bungs fitted, but with 3 M18 bungs included in the box.

I'll position and weld my own to suit my specific circumstances if that is possible.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, MooseMoose said:

As I read those charts you're buying horsepower over stock everywhere.  Or do you mean relative to the 5th gen?

Are you talking about how, even stock, it falls off a little after peaking at 10.7K? Do you think the dual high pipe costs top end?   Wouldn't be too hard to do. Borrow a slipon from a 5th gen friend and do a little bracketmaking and you could mount a 5G style midpipe and right exit slipon below the passenger peg to do a comparison run when you tune your bike, I guess, but I've never heard of anyone doing both to compare.

Again, might be interesting data to have when someone tunes their 6G. Otherwise we'd have no idea how much of that is the pipes and how much valves and the timing differences between gens.

You will find all bikes lose power at the top past peak power. It’s caused by lack of flow, this can be both inlet & exhaust combined &/or either individually. The primary suspect here is likely cam overlap, as Honda tuned the 6th gen inc Vtec for more torque, which you can see in the graph & people often think it feels sportier due to the kick in power when the Vtec chimes in with the other two valves. But when you look at those overlaid graphs, where 5th gen pulls ahead on power from 6k/rpm.

How often do you ride below that rpm when it will matter ? Only when tootling along, so it’s inconsequential. Unless like Honda you are or as they did listened to those lazy riders that don’t know what a gearbox is for & decided to try to add torque. When what the lazy riders wanted was a 1000cc+ Tourers worth of torque from a bike that was a middle weight do it all bike.

So a bit like those tourers that ruined the VFR, if you want touring torque for 2 up luggage carrying, then buy a 1000cc+ tourer, if you want flat out high rpm sports ride, then buy an Aprilia RSV4 or some other full on sports bike. If you want a good do it all middleweight that can cover all bases, buy a 5th or 8th gen. My 5th gen has been tweaked to be sportier than most, but still a great all rounder. 

Clean up the intakes, get the shortest velocity stacks in there, then this new header, a free flowing can & some cams if you really want to push the boat out. But remember to upgrade the suspension to match, to maintain that all round package.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Hey all, we have a standing order with Delkevic for header crush gaskets. If you would like a set for your headers, please let us know by 9AM PST tomorrow morning (Thursday 4/18/19) and tell us how many you wish to buy (They will be $5 for each gasket or $20 a set). However, to be fair, we plan to provide at a minimum one set for those who chime in and what we have left over we will work on fulfilling the "wish list". So if you ask for 3 sets, at a minimum you will get 1 set and if we do not run out by the time everyone gets their minimum 1 set, we will loop back around and get to the ones who asked for more. I hope that makes sense.

BTW, Saturday SF and I will be having a "boxing" party, where we get to box everyone's headers and hopefully have them all ready to ship on Monday morning 4/22/19!

Cheers,

D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

So I got a couple of pics from SF who was down at Wade's picking up another few sets of headers to take to the passivators and he sent some before (of the ones he just picked up) and after pics (of the small batch that were done). They should all be ready by Friday!

The before....

40666184003_6359401503_k.jpg

...and the after.

46908342874_69f25533a3_k.jpg

• Like 7

• Member Contributer
29 minutes ago, MBrane said:

That sure is a beautiful sight. Since mine don't need to be shipped does that mean I can come get 'em this weekend?

The plan was to have me bring yours back to my place in Anaheim and have you pick them up there. Not sure what I’ll be doing Easter Sunday but the wife wanted to get out of the house for a few. PM me your number and we can talk tomorrow.

D

• Member Contributer

For Delkovic slip on owners, the connector pipe is not quite large enough to fit over the exit of the new headers:

exhaust2.jpg

I totally expected this, and will just visit a friend who does mufflers on Monday. He says it's a quick 10 minute job to stretch it a tad.

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

Also, I'm doing this and a few other mods. If I run into anything silly, I'll try and take some pictures.

Do we want to post assembly tips here? Or should I start a thread in Maintenance?

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

WOW! what a day. As you might imagine, SF and I were very busy today dealing with boxing up all these headers. All total we had at 24 headers that were going to be dispersed. There were the "locals", SF, Myself, MooseMoose, MBrane (5 sets there) then boxing up all the rest.

Although probably not mentioned by SF in this thread or even via PM, the original passivation company decided to play "corporate" on us and tried to nearly triple the price per header but SF was able to find another place who did it within the budget and they even put them on a pallet and dropped them off at SF's place!

IMG_4726.thumb.jpeg.af01c2ae4a9a039fa99fda93b303e75a.jpegIMG_4727.thumb.jpeg.d1fd9672bb2c77c9879ca727c85b880f.jpeg

Thankfully my previous life as a shipping/receiving clerk came in handy, as I was able to organize the madness that was a pile of headers and get a system down where we confirmed everyone's order and made sure everything was in the box before we packed and sealed it up.

IMG_4729.thumb.jpeg.71a9862052f4a5ddd7834c2c64bc01b7.jpegIMG_4728.thumb.jpeg.d79bba1fc413ec124636f09881f269ea.jpeg

Once everyone's order was accounted for, we started adding packing material, wrapping the rear link pipes and then taped the springs and gaskets (if you bought them) to the lid of the box. Please note that the rear link pipes are wrapped in the same packing material that was used and placed in the center of the box on top of the headers themselves. So don't go ripping into this box like it was Christmas (although it will feel like it) and tossing all the packing material away, as you might be tossing out those link pipes!

IMG_4732.thumb.jpeg.e9dfc79f1c64ea264a7c195cb8aff1b9.jpeg

Essentially that was our day and after about 7 hours it looks like we are ready for these boxes to be sent out come Monday morning!

Oh yeah, as you can see from MooseMoose's post, he came by and picked up his. Although he offered to help, SF and I hand things under control so we handed him his set and he was on his way.

Here's a couple of pics from our point of view during the day. These boxes are 36x16x16in. and weight 16lbs, for those who are curious.

IMG_4733.thumb.jpeg.22366a116a706e341daf6449e5367630.jpeg

IMG_4734.thumb.jpeg.89fe4fdfcd5ba6a1846369fd548a2132.jpeg

• Like 4

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, MooseMoose said:

Also, I'm doing this and a few other mods. If I run into anything silly, I'll try and take some pictures.

Do we want to post assembly tips here? Or should I start a thread in Maintenance?

I believe that SF was going to add a post on this thread with some of the tips he got from Wade as well as his past few installs for the fittings and Dyno runs.

• Like 1

Thanks again SF and Duc for all your dedication and hard work on this project and navigating around and ironing out all the roadblocks and speedbumps that have popped up along the way that we don't even know about!!! 

• Like 6

• Member Contributer

You aren't kidding about the hard work and dedication.  Just the logistical mess, which they took on so that Wade could largely focus on manufacture, was substantial.  I went over to SF's place and he and Duc were sorting through who got what -- every one of us got something different, some of use got more than one and even those weren't the same -- and I wanted to help, but it wasn't the labor that was missing. It was the organization that was taking their time. I pretty much got in the way so I grabbed a set and got out of the way,

I am sure they learned more about small manufacturing , supplier networks, shipping, and the rougher details of metal fabrication than most of us need to know. And, in case anyone doesn't understand, these shops aren't local to either of them, and they don't live next door. For example, every trip to get a bike dyno'd  and tuned is an hour and a half from SF and probably 45 minutes from Duc, without traffic. Each way.

Getting performance headers for the older models has been a dream of a lot of folks, but they got it done. This is huge, and greatly appreciated.

• Like 7

I didn’t order a set because the cheap ass set on my bike will last the rest of my riding days. I have read nearly every post on this thread and enjoyed watching it unfold. Well done gentlemen! Well done.
If you guys ever make an east coast visit, beers on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Like I said, no way was I gonna let this pass without getting in on the fun. These things getting pulled off like this don’t happen very often. Thanks you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Samuelx said:

Thanks again SF and Duc for all your dedication and hard work on this project and navigating around and ironing out all the roadblocks and speedbumps that have popped up along the way that we don't even know about!!! 

x2, many thanks. People have been talking about headers for years - you made it happen!

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, VifferJ said:

How does one go about ordering the 8th gen header and what's the cost? Or did you have to order in advance? 

Send sfdownhill a PM letting him know your interested in a set. For us to even get this off the ground we did require a minimum order and that was reached but now that the builder has the jigs and knowledge of how to build these, large orders may not be a requirement. However that information is SF’s domain so he would be the one to answer the availability and cost questions. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2019 at 10:16 PM, MooseMoose said:

For Delkovic slip on owners, the connector pipe is not quite large enough to fit over the exit of the new headers:

I totally expected this, and will just visit a friend who does mufflers on Monday. He says it's a quick 10 minute job to stretch it a tad.

First, I'll add my thanx for the monumental effort put out to get these headers produced.

I installed mine, prototype #2, 6th gen, Fri evening/Sat morning.  Along the lines of the Delkovic pipe issue quoted, I had fun fitting a temporary muffler directly on the exit (measures 51mm I think).  Required stretching with a 'custom' breaker bar/large socket 'tool' (I don't have access to a muffler guy, guess I could have gone to a shop :biggrin:).  Got it on there enough to fire up, have a listen, blip the throttle, etc.  Also, I took a quick look at the stock pipe fit and I had some concern there.  The stock down pipe has some material (gasket?) around the inside just back from the opening.  This appears to measure about 47 - 48mm, not sure if that will work.  I don't use the stock high mufflers so not a concern for me at this time.

The little heat shield that sits between the O2 sensors is no longer usable.  SF pointed out that the heat shield above the rear pipes may need trimming, and it did, I may not have taken off enough as it is.  I did not feel any leaking around the pipes at the head, although my flanges were preformed (proto you know :laugh:) and the nuts traveled a good bit to get snug.  I'm looking forward to the center stand stop becoming available, may have to rig something in the mean time.  I have not re-installed the side heat shield (behind foot peg), peg, or bodywork yet, but I don't expect issues.

Pleased so far ...

ACE

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Pipe stretching worked.

The Delkovic slipon connector is not as nice a steel as the stuff on the new headers. But what do you expect?  Question now is whether I can get it to line up with the wheel and bracket, one that will be answered in a day or two when I get to the screwing it all back together stage.  Fingers crossed.

20190422_130926.jpg20190422_130911.jpg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

If you guys have any more gaskets and haven't shipped my headers I'd love a set of gaskets.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk