New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer

Thanks   Voided.  The 8 gen  header is in the works - coming up with a date to build  and fit the prototype with Wade. 

Update on crush gaskets –  over this past weekend, Delkevic sold all 50 of the 42 mm gaskets  they had in stock. They will have more in 1 to 2 weeks, which may  or may not line up with headers having been passivated. The math points to about half of those who have purchased headers having purchased crush gaskets.  It will be simplest for the remaining people who want to  purchase gaskets to contact Delkevic and place them on back order so they will have them on or about the date their headers arrive. 

• Member Contributer

I ordered a couple sets of the ZX7R gaskets from the jungle, but I have no problem getting in on a group buy since I like to keep things like that in stock. Sucks to get hung up on a build or repair for lack of something so simple.

• Member Contributer
46 minutes ago, Voided76 said:

Definately let me know b4 may guys.  Mid-may it's more than likely I will be home (in ohio) on leave for a full month.
I can make arrangements,  but not if I can't plan ahead a little bit.

Copy that, Voided. I’ll be home in 1/2 hour and PM you about schedule and a couple other items. Thanks

• Member Contributer

First off, Duc2V4 and I are very grateful to all the purchasers of headers. Thank you all for responding so promptly to our accounting details, shipping estimates, and requests for payment.

Second item - yesterday morning I got a text from Wade saying he wouldn't be able to deliver the headers this week. His text had a congenial tone and even joked about the "Many many many many varieties" ['Varieties" meaning different combinations of collector exit length and bung options]. We exchanged a few more texts - I was attempting to determine the exact cause of this 3rd [4th?] delay, but failed to gain any insight.

Duc2V4 and I discussed what the best way of dealing with this last of several delays would be. We decided that today [Yesterday, Thursday March 28] I would load up the 8 gen test bike and drive out to Wade's shop - two hours each way - to pop in unannounced and get to the bottom of the delays. We elected to take the 8 gen because Wade had indicated that he had down time, and if the down time was real, we could make progress on the 8 gen prototype headers.

At the shop, I found that all the headers in this production run have been completed, but none of them have had any bungs installed - lack of bungs is the cause of the delay [ See photos below]. This delay is my responsibility because three weeks ago, when exchanging information about bungs and bung locations with Wade, I asked him to use 3/4" tall bungs instead of the 1/2" bungs he has in stock. I specified taller bungs because I had just examined and measured OEM bungs on 6 gen headers; they are 3/4" tall. Also, we used tall bungs on prototype 1 to minimize intrusion of O2 sensors into the gas path, and the results were very positive.

3/4" tall bungs [Like OEM] are not common, so Wade contracted a local CNC shop to make stainless steel bungs to order for no additional cost. The CNC-equipped supplier of bungs has failed to deliver bungs. Wade and I charted an alternate course of action to obtain bungs if his local source failed to deliver by Monday. More importantly, we made a hard date of next Thursday April 4 for all the headers to be completed, paid for, and picked up. I have taken that day off work and will procure a vehicle large enough to transport 22+ headers.

Your age can be guessed by which parlor or board game you think the photo below resembles. If you say 'Pick Up Stix' you are probably in your 60s. If you say  'Jenga', you are probably in your 40s, maybe late 30s. If you do not recognize the names of either of these two games, you are probably a millennial.

273756922_productionheaders4.thumb.jpg.233962cd6216e059195dd3c6fa7cb399.jpg

I told Duc2V4 that if he could find his own set of headers in this pile, he could have them for free. He blasted back "OK, they're all mine. Bazinga!"

547372339_productionheaders6.thumb.jpg.91b67d1c68633a8a55d48df929362bd4.jpg

Yesterday the boxes and shipping materials arrived, so we are now prepared to strap, wrap, and slap shipping labels onto the suckers:

2114798863_shippingboxes.thumb.jpg.55ef7a3e79d2e6186dc25915d1c7a4bd.jpg

• Like 1

Quick question about the 8th Gen version. it will need the splayed front headers to clear the rads, but will the outlet accept the 6th Gen high level pipe/mufflers?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, BiKenG said:

Quick question about the 8th Gen version. it will need the splayed front headers to clear the rads, but will the outlet accept the 6th Gen high level pipe/mufflers?

I am not aware of anyone mounting 6G pipes on an 8G bike,  though I have seen many 5G high mounts (Staintune and others) mounted on the 8G.

I dont think the undertail on the 8G would support the weight of hanging the 6G exhaust from it.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, MooseMoose said:

So, were they passivated before the bungs were installed?

No, the bungs will be installed, then passivation will be done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CornerCarver said:

I am not aware of anyone mounting 6G pipes on an 8G bike,  though I have seen many 5G high mounts (Staintune and others) mounted on the 8G.

I dont think the undertail on the 8G would support the weight of hanging the 6G exhaust from it.

I cannot imagine any subframe capable of carrying 2 persons plus luggage would have any difficulty with any relatively minor weight increase due to a high level exhaust. Honda systems may be a bit weighty, but surely not that heavy.

Anyway, my requirements are not for actual standard models, but they will both be using front rads hence the need for splayed front headers while needing the outlet suitable for 6th Gen high level pipes and mufflers. The 5th and 6th Gen both use the same outlet dimensions, so either a 5th Gen low level or 6th Gen high level could be fitted to either (or so I am told), but is that also true for the 8th Gen? Is the collector outlet the same?  There was mention in here that the only difference for the 8th Gen would be the splayed front headers which implies the outlet is the same, but has that been determined?

One of my projects IS using a 6th Gen back end and high level exhaust, but with front mounted rad(s). The other will also be high level, but although not necessarily VFR 6th Gen, makes sense if both bikes use the same system.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, BiKenG said:

If all goes according to plan, the new 8 gen headers will be the same as the new 5/6 gen headers from the collector exit all the way forward [including the rear primaries] until the front sections of the two front primaries.

Ken, yesterday Wade assigned us homework that pertains to your question about 6 gen fitment : to help foresee any fitment issues with the collector exit of the new headers for 8 gen, we are going to attempt to fit OEM mufflers and aftermarket slipons from both 8 gen and 5 gen to both of those bikes - gonna throw a multi-pipe mini-swapmeet party. Four mufflers, two bikes, no rules, best fit takes all. Even if the muffler hanger mount holes/brackets are in different locations, we will get a rough idea of whether collector exit length, angle, and position line up between the two motorcycles. If they line up as expected [Or should I say as hoped?], we can relax a tiny bit.

Fitment of 6 gen dual high mount mufflers can be extrapolated from the results of the 8-5 gen muffler exchange matrix because we had to cut 5/8" off the new 5/6 gen header's collector exit before the 6 gen OEM mufflers fit correctly on a 6 gen motorcycle. After the cut, OEM 6 gen mufflers fit perfectly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, sfdownhill said:

If all goes according to plan, the new 8 gen headers will be the same as the new 5/6 gen headers from the collector exit all the way forward [including the rear primaries] until the front sections of the two front primaries.

Ken, yesterday Wade assigned us homework that pertains to your question about 6 gen fitment : to help foresee any fitment issues with the collector exit of the new headers for 8 gen, we are going to attempt to fit OEM mufflers and aftermarket slipons from both 8 gen and 5 gen to both of those bikes - gonna throw a multi-pipe mini-swapmeet party. Four mufflers, two bikes, no rules, best fit takes all. Even if the muffler hanger mount holes/brackets are in different locations, we will get a rough idea of whether collector exit length, angle, and position line up between the two motorcycles. If they line up as expected [Or should I say as hoped?], we can relax a tiny bit.

Fitment of 6 gen dual high mount mufflers can be extrapolated from the results of the 8-5 gen muffler exchange matrix because we had to cut 5/8" off the new 5/6 gen header's collector exit before the 6 gen OEM mufflers fit correctly on a 6 gen motorcycle. After the cut, OEM 6 gen mufflers fit perfectly.

I look forward to the results of your 'swapfest' 😀

• Member Contributer

Nc30 is where my v4 obsession started.  They are magnificent machines.  Shame those examples have been "improved" with what looks like tyga fairings

Nc30 is where my v4 obsession started.  They are magnificent machines.  Shame those examples have been "improved" with what looks like tyga fairings
Yep, Tyga all the way. It's whats inside that counts

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

If it coincides with my picking up headers let me know it's not too much trouble to bring my variety of mufflers down with me for fitment experiments. Old school TBR, Scorpion, and GPR high mount. As long as the pipes line up bracketry/hangers is easy fab.

• Member Contributer
43 minutes ago, MBrane said:

If it coincides with my picking up headers let me know it's not too much trouble to bring my variety of mufflers down with me for fitment experiments. Old school TBR, Scorpion, and GPR high mount. As long as the pipes line up bracketry/hangers is easy fab.

Hi MBrane - if wade sticks to his commitment to hand over completed headers next Thursday, we can set up a time for you to pick up yours. If the 5/8 gen muffler fitment exercise hasn't yet taken place, bring your pipes, and we'll see how things line up.

This is prototype 2 packed and ready to ship to VFRD member carlgustav in Alabama. Once again I am confronted by my poor before-and-during photo-taking habits. That significant hunk of cardboard is 36x16x16" to allow minimum 2" on every side of the headers for protective packing material.

405540239_boxful2.thumb.jpg.6928cc0f25647c005a1e895c8c494008.jpg

boxful 1.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, WackenSS said:

Couple of vfr 400 nc-30 pics taken today.
Don't know the firing order but both banks merged together. These are feckkin jewels!

They are most likely 180 degree cranks like the VFR, NC13-NC24 had 180 degree cranks, NC30 & 35 had 360 degree (like the RC30/45 and early VFxxxF). 

Of course they could have later motor swaps or crank/cam swaps.  IDK if the earlier engines are compatible with the later parts though.

• Like 1