New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, sfdownhill said:

Call it 95cm length, 60cm width, and 45cm depth.

If that's still too large, try 95cm length, 45cm width, and 40cm depth.

The acceptable dimensions are 95x45x55 / 95x44x56 at a cost of approximately  $415

"Approximate" because I'm not sure how much shipping will be from the manufacturer to Auspost warehouse in the states.

So going this route thru Auspost is going to be approx au$1500 to the door

6 hours ago, boOZZIE said:

The acceptable dimensions are 95x45x55 / 95x44x56 at a cost of approximately  $415

"Approximate" because I'm not sure how much shipping will be from the manufacturer to Auspost warehouse in the states.

So going this route thru Auspost is going to be approx au$1500 to the door

Wouldn't you be better served by checking the cost to ship via USPS? 

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Wouldn't you be better served by checking the cost to ship via USPS? 

Package is to big thru usps.

I tried ups but I think I did something wrong as that quote was us$1300

4 minutes ago, boOZZIE said:

Package is to big thru usps.

I tried ups but I think I did something wrong as that quote was us$1300

For that kind of money, you'd be better off swimming over there to collect it.

Can you get mine while you're there?

Thanks. 😉

• Member Contributer
27 minutes ago, EX-XX said:

For that kind of money, you'd be better off swimming over there to collect it.

Can you get mine while you're there?

Thanks. 😉

Now wait for it....Australian import duties for these dimensions of a value over au$1000 , drum roll...$920

13 minutes ago, boOZZIE said:

Now wait for it....Australian import duties for these dimensions of a value over au$1000 , drum roll...$920

I'm sure the "dutiable value" will be less than $1000 when shipped 😉

• Member Contributer

Sorry to have been away - I had to get my heart restarted after hearing the cost of getting a set of pipes to AUS.

I’ll run a quote from USPS and through my Fedex account and see what they come up with.

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, sfdownhill said:

Sorry to have been away - I had to get my heart restarted after hearing the cost of getting a set of pipes to AUS.

I’ll run a quote from USPS and through my Fedex account and see what they come up with.

I got reasonable quotes thru myus shipping however they don't include postal clearance(whatever that is?)

• Member Contributer

Wow, thank you guys for bringing this to fruition!

It seemed to be the old 80/10 rule, where the last 10% never gets done - until now.

i will need five sets.

1. 5th gen with PC2 and Wolf exhaust, can upgrade the fuel management with the new O2 bungs and would probably forward my midpipe to be expanded for fit by Wade.

2. 5th gen engine in 6th gen chassis with 2007 body (35th anniversary edition with 8th gen front forks and swinger) PCV with Staintune 6th gen exhaust.

3. 6th gen with Torocharger, will need 8th gen front downpipes to add additional 8th gen lower rad for engine temp control, Rapid Bike fuel management and Staintune for 6g

4. 5th gen track bike in 6g chassis - will need 8th gen front downpipes for removal of all sidemount rads for track day exploration of the envelope. Rapid bike and some can TBD...toying with paring front and rears only to run under tail exit for rear and under mount exit for front cylinders ala RC211V

5. 6th gen with rapid bike controller and stock exhaust.

Let me know how to forward the deposit. 

Shaping up up to the a great ‘19 !!!!

Keith

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, boOZZIE said:

I got reasonable quotes thru myus shipping however they don't include postal clearance(whatever that is?)

That will most likely be import duties plus handling plus admin fees....  😞

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, CornerCarver said:

It seemed to be the old 80/10 rule, where the last 10% never gets done - until now.

i will need five sets.

I believe that makes 15...

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

sent a pm, add me to the list.

need at least one. talking to a buddy about him getting one as well.

6 gen

who do I send a deposit to??

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, CornerCarver said:

i will need five sets.

1. 5th gen with PC2 and Wolf exhaust, can upgrade the fuel management with the new O2 bungs and would probably forward my midpipe to be expanded for fit by Wade.

2. 5th gen engine in 6th gen chassis with 2007 body (35th anniversary edition with 8th gen front forks and swinger) PCV with Staintune 6th gen exhaust.

3. 6th gen with Torocharger, will need 8th gen front downpipes to add additional 8th gen lower rad for engine temp control, Rapid Bike fuel management and Staintune for 6g

4. 5th gen track bike in 6g chassis - will need 8th gen front downpipes for removal of all sidemount rads for track day exploration of the envelope. Rapid bike and some can TBD...toying with paring front and rears only to run under tail exit for rear and under mount exit for front cylinders ala RC211V

Keith

Thanks, Keith, you were a big part of making this happen! Lance will be updating the list later this evening. I think we are at 18 with yours and 3DCylces request. That was quick!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Just to give the group an update. We have scheduled the Dyno tune with Yosef at Attack Performance for Saturday January 26th (Yes I know, that's a ways off) They came highly recommended and he was very helpful and seems very knowledgeable. This, plus logistics of it made it our best option. Yosef said will be investigating with Dynojet to determine if making the best of a PCIII or getting a PCV to work would be worth while. If the latter works out, this opens a door for others who have been having trouble getting the PCV to work with a 5 Gen...

For the curious, Google Attack performance, WSBK, MotoGP, Josh Herrin...

Hope this isn't a dumb question, here goes: It seems to be assumed that every VFR getting one of these exhaust systems will also have some sort of tuning box/device.  I haven't gotten into tuning either of my 5th Gen VFRs, is it a necessity with this exhaust? 

I was just going to buy the exhaust as a replacement for the ugly, rusted OEM exhaust that's on my '99 without any thought about tuning the bike for more horsepower.

Am I thinking wrongly about this thing?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GreginDenver said:

Hope this isn't a dumb question, here goes: It seems to be assumed that every VFR getting one of these exhaust systems will also have some sort of tuning box/device.  I haven't gotten into tuning either of my 5th Gen VFRs, is it a necessity with this exhaust? 

I was just going to buy the exhaust as a replacement for the ugly, rusted OEM exhaust that's on my '99 without any thought about tuning the bike for more horsepower.

Am I thinking wrongly about this thing?

Bottom line, the bike will run, but it would be to your advantage to add a tuning device. You don't have to tune it for "ultimate powah" if you don't want to. You could instead tune it for efficiency if that were your preference. 

10 minutes ago, SEBSPEED said:

Bottom line, the bike will run, but it would be to your advantage to add a tuning device. You don't have to tune it for "ultimate powah" if you don't want to. You could instead tune it for efficiency if that were your preference. 

Guess I'll have to start reading up on the various boxes available for the 5th Gen, unless you're going to tell me that there's a clear winner in the group, an obvious choice that everyone agrees is the way to go.

Question... what is the final finishing process on these? Is it straight off the welding jig and into a shipping box, or is there a final finishing process such as chemical cleaning followed by satin brush/polish? 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, GreginDenver said:

Guess I'll have to start reading up on the various boxes available for the 5th Gen, unless you're going to tell me that there's a clear winner in the group, an obvious choice that everyone agrees is the way to go.

Greg - w the amazing restorations you’ve done on those motorcycles, you owe it to yourself to tune up the fueling. It means more money, but PCV w auto tune or Rapid Bike w auto tune will take care of customizing the fueling to your specific machine. The simplest, lowest cost route would be to find a used PC3 for the VFR800 (Dynojet PC3USB part # for 1998-2009 VFRs is 101-411EX) and try a couple of the maps available free from the Power Commander website.

Duc2V4 and I are guessing there will also be a fair bit of map swapping done here once dyno tuning of the new headers starts. A lot of vfrd members have very similar setups and could benefit from the same map.

• Member Contributer
On 1/1/2019 at 2:36 PM, EX-XX said:

Like (many) others, I'm pretty happy to see something like this looking like eventuating. It's taken a long time to be potentially this close (not for lack of effort on behalf of a number of people!)

While I've put my hand up as interested in the headers themselves, "if" there is a full system eventually available with Carbon slip-on, I'd almost certainly be interested in the whole thing. (Will need to get a handle on shipping to Oz, though).

Given that the $AUD is falling against the $USD, I'd also be very keen to pay for the header/system in $USD if at all possible. (I guess the question there revolves around methods of payment available).

EX-XX, you and jimv have expressed interest in full systems [me too], and full systems for 5th gen are officially available. Add $275 to the cost of header for low mount system with aluminum muffler, $325 for carbon muffler. Add $25 for high mount because of additional structure required beyond the low mount's hanging loop support. Full system includes header assembly as described, midpipe, and muffler/canister [curses and swear words - I forgot to ask if header-to-midpipe would remain clamp fastened or be spring tension fittings. I'll find out]. Wade builds cylindrical mufflers of 4" diameter - picture the dimensions of a Staintune muffler which is also 4" diameter. He has a limited amount of carbon fiber on hand, but will be ordering more at a later date. Aluminum muffler materials are not in short supply. Those interested in full systems may specify the length of their muffler.

I have sent detailed photos of a 6th gen slipon and requested a quote for a 6th gen dual canister full system, but I haven't received that price yet. For 6th gen, he's leaning toward a single operational exhaust pipe and canister, with a dummy second canister to preserve 6th gen aesthetics - a la TBR.

• Member Contributer
On 1/2/2019 at 7:30 PM, CornerCarver said:

i will need five sets.

Keith

Hey Keith - your quiver of VFRs is intriguing! You only mentioned a couple of your V4s when we met in CA. It's a relief to learn someone has finally put an 8th gen front end on a 5th or 6th gen; I've long hoped to see that. Your 5th/6th candidates have been added to the first production run and your 8th gens to the B list, which is giving every appearance of morphing into a second production run consisting of 8th gen headers. PM sent with deposit info.

If you get a chance, please chime in with how your two 5th gen engined bikes that run PCVs are performing for you. Darryl and I have been researching whether to upgrade the 5th gen test bike from PC3 to PCV for the dyno testing. All we've unearthed is a few VFRD and VFRW members struggling to get their 5th gens running right with PCVs - a couple of those guys removed the PCV altogether!

[If anyone else has a solid recommendation - with supporting reasons, please - whether to go PC3 or PCV for dyno testing the new header on a 5th gen, do share it soon!]

And of course, Keith, we can't wait to see the build thread on the VFR track weapon you're having built!

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, JZH said:

I believe that makes 15...

Ciao,

JZH

Hey JZH - we're having to segregate the 5th/6th and 8th gen headers, putting 8th gen into the second run for now. So we might not be at 15 quite yet, but it's close! Cheers!

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Question... what is the final finishing process on these? Is it straight off the welding jig and into a shipping box, or is there a final finishing process such as chemical cleaning followed by satin brush/polish? 

Hi Seb! You bring up a very good point. I have not asked Wade what finishing treatment, if any, he applies to his exhaust products. I had assumed the headers would be finished as the 3 cylinder headers shown in the OP images. I'll follow up with him. Should we specify the chemical cleaning followed by satin brush/polish you describe if he does not intend to clean or brush the headers?

I did ask him about ceramic coating the headers, and he strongly recommend not ceramic coating them, because the high heat retained by the coating beings a degradation process on the stainless steel He pointed out that the TBR headers show signs of having been run lean enough long enough to begin very slight damage. The surface of the headers have a light surface roughness and coloration because of being subjected to higher than optimum heat.

On a separate topic, I could use a little guidance on VFRD etiquette; would it be more appropriate to post multiple answers to multiple posts in a single post, with answers to questions/information from multiple individuals? Or is it better to continue responding with a separate post to  answer each question? Thanks!