Fix Broken Plastic Tabs

RossR

• Member Contributer

I came across this article and video and thought that it might be of use to anyone attempting to repair broken tabs on their fairings. Remember to always look at plastic Type code on the inside of the fairing before you buy the appropriate adhesive.

https://diy-auto-repair.wonderhowto.com/how-to/fix-broken-plastic-tabs-bumper-0141489/

• Member Contributer
41 minutes ago, Hingley said:

Do you know the code of Honda motorcycle plastics and what car bumper plastics code is?

I have a picture of the code from one of the side panels of my 5 Gen, let me see if I can dig up the picture off of my computer and post it up.

IMG_0871.JPG

Edited by Duc2V4
Added photo
  • Like 1

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Hingley said:

Do you know the code of Honda motorcycle plastics and what car bumper plastics code is?

It might be different for each model. You have to look at the the back as Duc2V4 has posted. In his image you see the code PA6 +PPE which is mix of two different plastics. Usually it's just one type. Once you find the code Google it and you will find out the type of plastic. Some fairings are ABS which apparently is easier to work with.

PPE is polypropylene which is notoriously difficult to glue or paint. My Givi E-41 cases are PPE.

• Member Contributer

I've always thought fifth gen fairings were ABS. I cannot remenber for sure what I used to fix the trim around turn signal spaces, perhaps PlastEase, but my results have been so so. 

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

I've always thought fifth gen fairings were ABS. I cannot remenber for sure what I used to fix the trim around turn signal spaces, perhaps PlastEase, but my results have been so so. 

I think that you are absolutely right. That's why I made the point of saying that one must make sure that the adhesive and technique match the type of plastic. There was a guy at the last local motorcycle show who was selling a kit for fairing ABS repair, but I have misplaced the literature. When it turns up I will post the details. In the meantime here are links to some advice.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/repairing-broken-abs-parts.586425/

https://www.webbikeworld.com/repairing-motorcycle-saddle-bags/

• Member Contributer
On 1/1/2019 at 11:39 AM, SEBSPEED said:

I did a write up here on using PlastiFix

I did a forum search for PlastiFix, and your thread does not come up. can you please post a link. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Seb. That's where I should have posted this thread in the first place. I the Moderator or anyone can tell me how to do that it's where it belongs.