VFR Aftermarket mirrors

VFR80025th

LAST SUMMER I noticed one of mirrors was scratched up. (Moving the bike around in the garager etc.) Don'y know how.

Instead of ordering an OEM for $110 Canadian I ordered a set of aftermarket for $70.

I figure I will keep a spare.  They look amazingly like OEM. Totally satisfied.

The one thing they don't do is fold back like the OEM. without tools.

I have to use an allen key to loosen it and then fold it back.. The OEM stays in position and I can swing it back without tools.

I've tried many weights of tightening the new non OEM mirror. A no go.

Anybody have the same issue.

Thanks and Merry Xmas to all my fellow VFR riders.

• Member Contributer

I've never found a non-OEM Honda mirror that's as good as OEM.  I'm sure there are some high-end aftermarket mirrors that are good, but in the OEM shape I don't think there is any comparison.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, JZH said:

I've never found a non-OEM Honda mirror that's as good as OEM.  I'm sure there are some high-end aftermarket mirrors that are good, but in the OEM shape I don't think there is any comparison.

Ciao,

JZH

Me also.

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, VFR80025th said:

LAST SUMMER I noticed one of mirrors was scratched up. (Moving the bike around in the garager etc.) Don'y know how.

Instead of ordering an OEM for $110 Canadian I ordered a set of aftermarket for $70.

I figure I will keep a spare.  They look amazingly like OEM. Totally satisfied.

The one thing they don't do is fold back like the OEM. without tools.

I have to use an allen key to loosen it and then fold it back.. The OEM stays in position and I can swing it back without tools.

I've tried many weights of tightening the new non OEM mirror. A no go.

Anybody have the same issue.

Thanks and Merry Xmas to all my fellow VFR riders.

If one looks at the parts fiche for oem fifth gen mirrors (non-condom 2000 & 2001), there are seperate part numbers for the four washers above and below the mirror hinges. I suspect that may have something to do with their adjustability.

Looking at the sixth gen (2007) fiche, there is a big difference. I know nothing much about the sixths.

And a Happy New Year to you and all the rest of you VFRDers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Mohawk's got GSXR mirrors on his, I think, but the "angle of the dangle" is a bit different.  Some mods are necessary.  I bought a used set off eBay last year, looked at them for a little while, and tossed them into the parts/"future projects" box...  They are OEM quality, though--as good as OEM Honda mirrors.

Ciao,

JZH

Archived