Cooling overheating issue

Cognito

Question

Just thought I would post this. It saved me big $$$

I have had an issue with overheating on my 6th gen. It was very intermittent. The thermo fan would sometimes kick in and occasionally wouldn't.

I tested the fan by farthing it out and it sounds up just fine. So I replaced the thermo switch. But the issue still continued. The 1 day I tested it got hot and the fan didn't kick in. I tested the fan again and it was turning but only very slowly not much movement at all.

I removed the fan and drilled out the rivets/ tack welds and separated the 2 halts. There is a rubber membrane between the joins that I cut with a Stanley blade. I cleaned the rotor up and the tips of the brushes then reassembled. Problem solved. She spins like a gem.

I have added the photos to show what they are like inside. Hope this helps someone out and saves you a lot of hassle and $$$.

20181223_164453.jpg

20181223_164500.jpg

20181223_164506.jpg

4 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

HI Cognito.

Nice lot of photos, it's the first time I've seen the internals of the fan motor. Interesting the armature winding arrangement.

So from what you are saying the brushes were not making good contact on the commutator? Was the brush spring tension Ok, and did they slide freely within the brush holders? Did you use some form of sealant to rejoin the two housings as there would need to be a water tight seal? Was there any trick involved in keeping the brushes retracted while inserting the armature and bearing back into the other housing?

Keep a good eye on the fan ops just incase there might be some other intermittent issue lurking within the motor.

Cheers. :wheel:

Hi Grum.

Yep that's all it was the commutator was dirty as usual with these things, cleaned that up and the brushs where not even on the ends, so squared them off with some fine grit.

I didn't reseal it inside I just ran a wipe of silicone around the edge of the 2 halfs after reassembled.

The retracting method was the hardest part I used some sewing cotton to pull them in and used bulldog clips to hold the cotton to the housing. Then I removed the commutator from the top housing, it pushes out easily. I put that in place then released the cotton and pulled this out from the sides to remove it . Then used a tube socket to hold the commutator inplace applying pressure i slide the top housing down the tube socket until the magnets snap it together. I hope that makes sense. 

I will keep an eye on the cooling it becomes a trust issue after awhile.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Cognito said:

Just a follow up. Moto is running great, cooling is back to normal & the thermo fan is kicking in like its turbo charged.

Good news, we've certainly had some hot weather to give it a good workout. Enjoy your 6gen, a great bike.

Cheers.:beer:

Archived