Tires on sale??

Bent

• Member Contributer

For the first time ever in my riding "career", I can't find ANYPLACE online with tires on sale.  I want a Pirelli Angel GT rear.  

In the past, if I search a little someplace always has what I'm looking for at a really good price or with good coupons?  Not today.  Could it be time of year (winter)?   

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I expect a rebate program from the usual suspects in Spring 2019. I'm going to wait for Bridgestone's and pick up a set of S22s!

• Member Contributer

Bump.  Let's keep our eyes open.  They can't bet moving many tires at list prices......

• Member Contributer

Really need a pair of shoes for my 98 so I can get her back on the road for her 21st year! Her PR3s are dated 2012 and that's a no-go for me.

Anyone find anything?

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, thtanner said:

Really need a pair of shoes for my 98 so I can get her back on the road for her 21st year! Her PR3s are dated 2012 and that's a no-go for me.

Anyone find anything?

Nope.  I've seached every on-line site multiple times and if you want something on sale there aren't any.  If you find one with sales let us know.  Looking for a rear Angel GT.  Apparently, the sales haven't started yet but if they want to sell tires that's the way it will happen.  Kind of dismal on tire pricing right now.  

• Member Contributer

Yeah I may just shelve plans to getting the 98 back on the road until the next tire sale. The gift card usually offsets the cost to shoe them on.

• Member Contributer

Just received an email from Chaparral Motorsports with a Winter Tire Sale. If you are registered member you do get a discount, I think it is 5% on tires, I just bought a set of tires and they came out to only a $1.12 more than if I bought them from RMATVMC (that's including CA sales tax). Only difference is I had to drive 50 miles to get them versus waiting 2 days for them to show up. Factor in gas, then maybe it's more than the buck difference but I did get them the same day.

https://www.chapmoto.com/motorcycle-tires

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Just received an email from Chaparral Motorsports with a Winter Tire Sale. If you are registered member you do get a discount, I think it is 5% on tires, I just bought a set of tires and they came out to only a $1.12 more than if I bought them from RMATVMC (that's including CA sales tax). Only difference is I had to drive 50 miles to get them versus waiting 2 days for them to show up. Factor in gas, then maybe it's more than the buck difference but I did get them the same day.

https://www.chapmoto.com/motorcycle-tires

They're a no go for what I need.  I can wait them all out.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Nope, none on sale yet but it's only January.  Looks like old tires will be the ones to go on sale and they will go on sale...when is the question.  I'll wait them out.  

• Member Contributer

In the UK BikespeedUK are doing some cheap old stock deals on Contimotion (£115 pair), BT023 (£149) pair and Road Pilot 2 (£154 pair). 

Relatively cheap by UK standards but rubber has moved on quite a bit since the Road Pilot 2! 

Sorry - this doesn’t help you guys in the US. 

Stray

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

It's the end of March and still a "no go" on the "tires on sale" issue.  Found an Angel GT rear for $164 but have always been able to substantially buy below that.  I realize things have gone up but, wow, not that much.  I'll still wait them out. 

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, thepretender said:

Rockymountainatv has T31s for $236 a pair with $60 rebate net $176 not sure you'll find a better deal. A bit more sporty S22s are a few $ less. 

Thanks Pretender.  I swore off of Stones a long time ago.  They grip well and last OK but they are the hardest riding tire I know of.  They beat me up to the point that I'll pay more to not get beaten up while riding.  They're even hard to mount due to stiff sidewalls.  Wonder why they ride hard?  

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Bent said:

Thanks Pretender.  I swore off of Stones a long time ago.  They grip well and last OK but they are the hardest riding tire I know of.  They beat me up to the point that I'll pay more to not get beaten up while riding.  They're even hard to mount due to stiff sidewalls.  Wonder why they ride hard?  

That's definitely part of the Bridgestone DNA. Very stiff construction. I really like them on my VFR and have used a lot of Bridgestones on this bike but they don't always work for every bike I've used them on. Bridgestone has come a long way over the last 10 years as well.

Everybody is different and that's a good thing. I hated Q2s on my S1000R and loved them on my VFR. 

The Bridgestones work well for me and S1000R can eats tires like they are candy so I stocked up while the price was so good.

• Member Contributer
On 3/29/2019 at 8:54 AM, Dustin said:

That's definitely part of the Bridgestone DNA. Very stiff construction. I really like them on my VFR and have used a lot of Bridgestones on this bike but they don't always work for every bike I've used them on. Bridgestone has come a long way over the last 10 years as well.

I agree that Bridgestone has really come a long ways in the grip and longevity areas.   I just got beaten up by them for the last time.  Pirelli Angel GT's ride much better, grip very well, handle OK,  and last maybe a little longer.  That's what I will buy but trying to wait out for a sale.  It may or may not happen it appears.  

• Member Contributer

Just got an email from Revzilla and looks like "select" Dunlops tires have a rebate going. Looks to be for some of the models that would be popular for both sport riders and sport touring riders.

https://www.revzilla.com/assets/0002/6322/Dunlop_Spring_National__2137__1_.pdf

• Member Contributer

Well, I had to give in to "not much of a sale".  Was going for a short twisty ride this afternoon and an impulsive feeling told me to stop and look at the rear tire about 15 miles from home.  The rear was on the wear bars but that has, until now, meant a couple of hundred more miles on any rear tire I've had so far.  Not on a Pirelli Angel GT though.  Linear lines and small perpendicular tears were showing on the center of the tire even though the sides were worn almost as much as the center.  I didn't chance it and rode home.  

So, a new Angel GT is on the way from JP Cycles.  It was the best price I could find at 163.99.  Pretty pricey tire but I like them.  Oh, I got 3300 miles from that rear which is the most miles I've ever gotten on any kind of rear tire and I've tried most of them.  I think I'll try a less pricy tire, like Dunlop, when this one and the front are gone.  That's what happens when you live in the twisties and ride them quick.  Onward!   

• Member Contributer

The "drama" is over with a new Angel GT on the rear.  My LBS let me know they will deal with me well on Dunlops next time.  I'm not paying a premium for Pirellis again.  Breaking it in tomorrow and yes, I still believe that's a wise thing to do.  

• Member Contributer

I also believe in breaking tires in. Last summer, after mounting new tires and getting ready to lube the chain, I went for a short ride to heat up the chain. Forgetting the virgin tires, I moderately set out only to low side as the new tires were slightly unloaded as I came over the cambered crest of the street. (And of course it was the first time I'd left with out my riding pants). A sore ankle, torn jeans and hurt feelings were the worst of it. It was a palm-to-the-forehead moment surely.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

I also believe in breaking tires in. Last summer, after mounting new tires and getting ready to lube the chain, I went for a short ride to heat up the chain. Forgetting the virgin tires, I moderately set out only to low side as the new tires were slightly unloaded as I came over the cambered crest of the street. (And of course it was the first time I'd left with out my riding pants). A sore ankle, torn jeans and hurt feelings were the worst of it. It was a palm-to-the-forehead moment surely.

That’s a bummer, I think there should be another term than ATGATT...perhaps MOTGATT (Most Of The Gear All The Time) as it seems we all do this more than the former! Although I don’t always wear my Leathers when doing a break-in or test ride, I usually try and wear my “Moto” pants, at least there’s a layer of Kevlar and pockets for knee armor. Still, there’s always that little voice that says..,”You won’t be going that fast. You’re just going around the corner...”  yeah, right!

• Member Contributer
On 4/5/2019 at 9:26 PM, MaxSwell said:

Murphy is alive and well.  Some people say it's not necessary to "break in" new tires any longer.  It may not be for them, but it is for me.  I've spun a rear brand new tire badly so I'll just take the very little effort to avoid this.  Glad you didn't come out worse. Maxwell.  

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

The tire I was looking for (Angel GT) came down in price some but not enough for me to continue with Pirelli's.  Tire sellers just don't have the sales they used to have.  

May try Dunlops next time.  Bought a rear Angel GT because the front is still very good.  A set of something besides Pirelli will be in order next time.  Pirelli makes good tires but they're over-priced.  Other companies make good tires at better prices.  Kind of elementary.    

Archived