V4 race bike

Parkes

Hi all. Just wanted to share with you my race bike project. www.tparkes.co.uk. It started out with a 98 vfr800 engine which later evolved to a 938cc rc45 and now has currently taken a detour down to a 848cc vfr configuration whilst I design my own engine. Hope it gives you all some ideas for your projects.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Have been visiting this site for the last couple of months - AMAZING! 

Every visit I read it all cover-to-cover. Can’t believe how much effort and skill has gone into that machine. Simply staggering. 

Nice one Parkes and thanks for sharing. 

Stray 

• Member Contributer

eventually all the road sports bikes will be V4’s (hopefully) and the world will be a better place

Well, you know where his bias lies!

Interesting work. I applaud the tenacity it takes to do this many things this well.

• Member Contributer

Very interesting project. Engine is similar to my plans, but no funds to progress 😞 I'm up 25% on the stock bore & my own mods, giving 120hp. Like you I prefer to do my own research & as it appears no one else had done it on the VFR before me, its just been my pastime 🙂  Highside, NZ took my current mods & my 74mm big bore plan & built it, he now has a 140hp 825cc engine, a 47% HP increase 🙂 I have plans for both an 848 & 988cc versions !

Still reading your site, as I'm very interested in what you have done. On the cooling front, I'd advise you ditch the double pass cooling & do what Honda did & feed all rads the hottest coolant at the same time, the greater the temperature difference between the rad & the air, will give the best thermal cooling properties. Double pass wastes half the rad giving it over to a lower efficiency thermal curve.

I'm near Bristol, so not far from you if you fancy a chat over a beer or cuppa 🙂

Cheers

Top job

The most I got from the larger bore engine was 163hp but I did have to trade some mid-range for that.

Yes I did the double pass after trying them without to maintain pressure through the system; kept things stable for a bit longer. Long sustained high rpm was too much for it though.

• Member Contributer

If you mount single pass rads you can run something like Evans waterless coolant. 

It has a much higher boiling point and works by volume rather than pressure. 

More dense than water though so doesn’t like double pass radiators. 

I know some VFR owners run it but I’ve also read on this forum that someone didn’t like it because it couldn’t worm its way through the 5th gen rads. 

It’s reusable too - lifetime coolant.