Chain Cleaning using Kerosene?

VFR80025th

Near the end of the season I installed an RK Chain and Sprocket Kit.

I've always used Kerosene to clean my chain before lubing but I just noticed on the RK website that they

indicate to not use Kerosene to clean RK chains.

I've seen so may videos by reputable sites saying Kerosene can be used.

RK says:

RK Chain recommends cleaning a sealed chain with only a mineral based O ring safe chain cleaner. Do not use kerosene or motor oil because that can damage the seals

I guess I will be using a mineral based Oring safe cleaner like Motul chain cleaner for the start of next season.

• Member Contributer

Kerosine is a mineral oil based solvent. Have used it on all my bikes without issue. 

If, however, RK specify that Kerosene is unsuitable it could react badly with the o-ring material. 

What about diesel then? It’s cheap and doesn’t harm rubber. Is there a danger of washing out factory grease from behind the O-rings or something? 

• Member Contributer

Since kerosene doesn't evaporate very well, RK could be advising against it's use for fear that it will seep behind O-rings and dissolve the grease.

Just a thought.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Stray said:

What about diesel then?

Kerosine IS diesel.  It's a matter of refining,  Kerosine being just a little lighter an oil than diesel, but it is fundamentally the same sort of thing and should have very similar properties with regards to how it affects an o ring.

That said, I don't know. Maybe RK is coming out with a special formula chain cleaner, or maybe we have been using the wrong thing to clean our chains for a long time and just don't know it.  Wouldn't be the first time I used something that worked but might not have been the very best.

• Member Contributer

Kerosene is all I use. No problems so far on a 8th gen stock chain (22,000km) time will tell.

Archived